shape
carat
color
clarity

Finding pair of blue pear!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there following up the previous thread, I had decided not to set the peridot together with the pair of moonstone. Once again thank you for all the input, I really appreciate it! I had decided to incorporate the pair of moonstone into a pair of detachable dangle (earring). I am looking out for a pair of blue gems (could be spinel, sapphire,indicolite, aqua) approx 8X6mm pear to go with the moonstone. Here is an inspirational pict, you can omit the pear on top:) Have you came across any pair of blue pear??:)

Photo029111.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
once again, the pair of approx 6mm moonstone
1.gif

Photo0309.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
chic, that picture does not do your moonstones justice! they have an inner glow and creaminess with a blue hint that just is not captured in this picture. can you post the picture you had of them with the peridot? at least anyone looking at this thread would see why you''re going with blue! which i think is a great decision: especially, if you go a very vivid blue. and i like the earring design minus the upper pear as you said. sorry no suggestions re matched pears. how about asking someone to cut them for you? gene?

mz

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I think this is a lovely idea!

It really depends on your budget and color preference, because most vivid blue gems can be expensive. Topaz, treated or untreated, should be fairly affordable, same with pale aquas. If you're looking for a more vivid blue, I'd go with sapphires or spinels.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think to get the proportion of the inspiration earrings, you''ll need bigger pears than 8x6. Perhaps more like 10x8? And whats the budget? I was thinking maybe Aqua? Or blue topaz...

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/4/2010 11:43:28 PM
Author: movie zombie
chic, that picture does not do your moonstones justice! they have an inner glow and creaminess with a blue hint that just is not captured in this picture. can you post the picture you had of them with the peridot? at least anyone looking at this thread would see why you''re going with blue! which i think is a great decision: especially, if you go a very vivid blue. and i like the earring design minus the upper pear as you said. sorry no suggestions re matched pears. how about asking someone to cut them for you? gene?

mz

tks to the replies
2.gif
here you go

Photo03071.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/5/2010 12:53:26 AM
Author: FrekeChild
I think to get the proportion of the inspiration earrings, you'll need bigger pears than 8x6. Perhaps more like 10x8? And whats the budget? I was thinking maybe Aqua? Or blue topaz...

Hi Frekechild- I agree that a 10X8mm will look better on its own, but I thought that I can go smaller with a diamond halo around it. Its a small budget on this project, mayebe $150 for the pair of pear?

Hi jstarfireb- I will prefer a nonheated/treated stone if budget allows!

Thanks Indylady and all others for the input
1.gif

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
what about a pair of 8x6mm georgia amethyst with ''blue flashes''? Will an oval looks good?

Apr10JXRpair.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to say...call me crazy but I see an alien''s head in that first moonstones photo LOL
9.gif
I know I''m not of much help here - I probably shouldn''t look at so many photos...
14.gif

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/5/2010 4:17:53 AM
Author: ma re
Just wanted to say...call me crazy but I see an alien's head in that first moonstones photo LOL
9.gif
I know I'm not of much help here - I probably shouldn't look at so many photos...
14.gif
hahaha
9.gif
that's really funni cos I just saw it too!
23.gif
6.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My initial thought is that it was a gadget with 2 shiny round buttons.

CT,
While the pair of amethysts is gorgeous, the purple isn’t an exact match. I understand your not wanting a treated stone but blue topaz is amazing with moonstones, not to mention very budget friendly. You might be able to find untreated blue topaz if you are patient.

moonstonetopaz1.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i also think a larger pear would look better....even with a halo.

mz

ps thanks for the 2nd moonstone photo!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I like the tanzanite pears from multicolor and they''d be great with the moonstones.
And Gailey you are the ultimate reference book!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/5/2010 8:18:35 AM
Author: Chrono
My initial thought is that it was a gadget with 2 shiny round buttons.

CT,

While the pair of amethysts is gorgeous, the purple isn’t an exact match. I understand your not wanting a treated stone but blue topaz is amazing with moonstones, not to mention very budget friendly. You might be able to find untreated blue topaz if you are patient.

Thanks Chrono, MZ and Gailey for the input!

I appreciate the pair of earring reference!

Thank you so much Gailey for taking the time to look out for me
9.gif
I will take a look at them now!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks Gailey, I had just managed to browse thru all the links!

What do you guys think of a pair of 10X7mm Turquoise? (I know it seems very different from my inspiration pict, but I thought I can make it into a more ''casual'' piece instead?)

turquoise-gem-238472b.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Chic, I''m not a big lover of turquoise, but it''s personal preference. I could see them with Chalcedony. I also really liked the moonstone briolettes. Actually, I like the aqua briolettes too.

I have one last suggestion and they are from Lisa Elser. A pair of aqua kites.

Lisa Elser aqua kites.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I like the turquoise, but would skip the diamond halos if you''re going with the turquoise. I''d just do simple silver bezels for both the turquoise and the moonstones.

I really like the aqua kites from Lisa Elser though! A little more unique and a nicely complementary blue.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/5/2010 10:24:43 PM
Author: Gailey
Chic, I''m not a big lover of turquoise, but it''s personal preference. I could see them with Chalcedony. I also really liked the moonstone briolettes. Actually, I like the aqua briolettes too.

I have one last suggestion and they are from Lisa Elser. A pair of aqua kites.

Hi Gailey tks! I like it too, but I do not see it in Lisa Elser''s site? I am keeping below a budget of usd 200 though:)

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/5/2010 10:50:28 PM
Author: jstarfireb
I like the turquoise, but would skip the diamond halos if you''re going with the turquoise. I''d just do simple silver bezels for both the turquoise and the moonstones.

Yes excatly
2.gif
that''s my thoughts too!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2010 11:10:44 PM
Author: chictomato

Yes excatly
2.gif
that''s my thoughts too!
that makes 3 of us: i think it would make a lovely casual set of earrings. perhaps even dressy depending on the actual setting.

mz

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another one in agreement with this.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there I saw this on ebay, its a pair of moonstone and turquoise earring, it is almost exactly the same as what I have in mind, but it is so costly! $600

I was browsing thru ebay and turquoise earrings are price very low, I was thinking if it is worth getting it custom-set, even in silver?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
That seems way too expensive. I think in addition to the vendor marking it WAY up, part of the price is for the 18k gold. You could save a lot by getting them done in silver. If you're willing to send them overseas to be set, I'd ask Daniel M from Etsy. I'd guess he could do this for $100 or so. According to Freke, he does quick and good work, and his prices are more than reasonable. He's doing a 3-stone necklace for me as we speak.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your new earring idea. I prefer the pears over the ovals. Just because using ovals makes it a whole different pair of earrings than your inspiration earrings.

So pears in blue and I wouldn''t bezel them cause of the expense/work involved. And because it will make them more formal. Unless you have a very large budget? Then I''d do two pair of earrings, one with pears and one with ovals and halo the ones that you''d like. That would leave you with a formal pair and a casual pair.

My I''m good at spending other people''s money aren''t I?
9.gif

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/6/2010 8:29:56 AM
Author: chictomato
Hi there I saw this on ebay, its a pair of moonstone and turquoise earring, it is almost exactly the same as what I have in mind, but it is so costly! $600

I was browsing thru ebay and turquoise earrings are price very low, I was thinking if it is worth getting it custom-set, even in silver?

That's probably because Ebay - just like the market in general - is full of heavily treated turquoises. Treatments range from waxed/oiled, stabilised to dyed and reconstituted (ie small stones are powdered and then bonded to form a larger, uniformly coloured stones) . I'm sure there are lots of imitation turquoise (eg howlite, plastics etc) on Ebay also...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results