shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally, my Merelani mint showcased by David Klass' artistry

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I've already posted this in the show me the bling form, but wanted to also put it here for my CS buddies, which is where this ring really belongs.

I first laid my eyes on a gorgeous Merelani stone about four years ago, and that kicked off a quest to source a beautiful mint stone with fabulous cutting and a beautiful blue secondary. It took three years and three trade-ins to finally hit upon this stone, but it was worth the wait and effort. I've had the stone in hand for just over a year now, searching for a setting that would do this stone justice. I'm so completely taken with the end result.

3.53 ct stunning Merelani mint garnet from Prima Gems, showcased in an exquisite setting crafted by David Klass.

_35199.jpg

_35200.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Finally, my Merelani mint showcased by David Klass' arti

Thats beautiful! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

S

SparkliesLuver

Just stunning! Really. I've never seen an oval look that good! And that color ... :love: I'd love to know more details about your journey, and of course a ton more pictures of the ring, please.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AMAZEBALLS.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Stunning ring. What is the mm size of the garnet? I presume the metal is platinum?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I commented on this already in SMTB, but I have to comment again and say how much I love this ring! It's gorgeous and the stone is just perfection! :love:

picante27

Shiny_Rock

Your ring is so gorgeous! :love: :love: :love:

BWise

Brilliant_Rock

Stunning! congrats

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AMAZING!!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've seen this stone in person. Two comments about it. These photos are representative - It really is that saturated with the blue modifier. Second comment: most beautiful Merelani Mint I have ever seen - and I have seen a lot! Well done, Alj. :appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ooh! Amazing ring and stone. What a stunning result. Another gorgeous ring from David Klass.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow. What a gorgeous work of art. Congrats! :love:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Beautiful ring and the garnet is delicious. Wear it in good health and happiness.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

First, thanks so much to all of you for such lovely compliments. I can't remember the last time I was this excited with a new piece, and it's nice of you all to take the time to share in that excitement with me.

Chrono, the stones measures 7.8 x 8.8mm; I chose to go with an 18K white setting in this instance and not platinum.

Sparklies, you asked about my journey. Nearly 4 years ago, one of my West Coast PS buddies was coming into town - she'd been wanting to get into colored stones but wanted a little help navigating them, so I wanted to introduce her to the folks at PrimaGems. Another East Coast PSer joined us, and we were lucky enough to all be present when a new parcel of stones arrived. Among them was this HUGE Merelani stone - 20 cts, and it glowed insanely before we even got it out of the plastic! It had gorgeous minty color with fantastic flashes of blue. (I've attached photos so you can drool along with me!)

Naturally, that was WAY out of my budget, but there was another really well cut stone in that parcel. My WC buddy examined several stones and decided to purchase the very stone I'd already set aside to take; once she discovered that, she apologized and offered to pick something else, but I really wanted her to have a great first experience. Besides, I was fairly regular to NYC, so I figured it would be easier for me to grab something on a future parcel.

Yeah....not so much! Nothing like it came along for ages, and I buckled in for a looooong wait. 1.5 years later, Prima sent me 2 stones to view and though not my holy grail (not enough blue), it was the best that had come around to that point so I kept one. Several months later, a slightly larger oval came in, and I grabbed that one too, but it had more of the half-on, half-off effects that ovals can have. Some months later, traded that stone for a slightly larger one that still wasn't my optimal for cutting. Finally, last October, I took another friend to NYC to introduce her to PrimaGems and discovered they'd received a new parcel with stunning stones in just the day before. It included this 3.53 stone, which was was PERFECT - had the strong blue I hoped for *and* a great cut and was just electric in every way. I happily traded in my prior best option and didn't look back!

I've walked around with this stone in hand since then trying to decide on a setting. During early October this year, I was in LA and met up with some PS friends who took me to David's shop. I had a burmese spinel in mind to set, and liked this style for that stone, but that stone is smaller and I worried the proportions wouldn't work out right. Shortly after, it hit me like an epiphany that this mint stone *would* yield the right proportions, and I made a snap decision on the spot to leave the stone with them and just do it.

I'll confess that I had a few nagging doubts on the flight back to Boston about having made such a snap decision - I'm normally much more of an option weigher, and I've learned that I strongly prefer to see colored stones sitting in the setting before committing so I can assure they light up instead of turn off. In this case, the snap decision served me well - if I'd have taken the time to really think about it, I'm pretty sure I'd have held off.

I really feel like this stone and this setting were just meant to be. Loooooooooong winded journey, but there it is. :)

img_9821.jpg

img_4086a.jpg

img_9822.jpg

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

So here are some of the photos DK sent along while it shipped to give profile and undercarriage views....

greenmarq4.jpg

greenmarq5.jpg

greenmarq9.jpg

greenmarq10.jpg

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

These are from when I first saw the stone - just amazing vibrancy and color. The blue really shows well in the second photo.

img_9823.jpg

img_9824.jpg

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

The blue *really* comes out to play when I can manage to get a low-light picture like this....

img_9825.jpg

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

But most of the time, I'm more likely to get the crazy, out-of-control explosion like this because it's hard for the camera to handle such a fireball!

img_9826.jpg

img_9828.jpg

img_9829.jpg

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

A bit of filtered light.

img_9830.jpg

img_9831.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for so many more pics for us to enjoy! It's so electric and bright! Love! Also OMG that huge stone is just amazing--it is just incredible!

It sounds like a long journey for you, but well worth it in the end, since you ended up with a showstopper! Congrats again! :love: :love:

GregS

Brilliant_Rock

Awesome color on that Garnet!

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade

What a spectacular piece of jewellery!!!
NKOTB hit the nail on the head and made me lol with the amazeballs comment!!

LateBloomer28

Rough_Rock

Gorgeous stone and perfect setting! :love: :love: One of my new favorites on PS. Enjoy your stunning ring!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So beautiful! Love the color and sparkle of the stone and it looks great in the setting you chose. Enjoy!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow...seriously, just Wow! :love:
This is definitely my dream ring. The merelani mint has such great color and fire....and that setting is just gorgeous.
You are one lucky lady! :lickout:

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock

So glad to see more pics and the story of the making of this gorgeous ring. Thanks for the luscious eye candy! :love:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Large, luscious and such amazing color! :love: :love: :love:

katharath

Ideal_Rock

This gem is spectacular. When I saw your pics I actually felt a physical longing for it, lol!! I seriously covet it, it's wonderful! Sincere congratulations on your beautiful piece.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

This is exquisite! The stone is beyond gorgeous, I love the color! And that setting, wow!

This is going in my Holy Grail inspiration file!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results