shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally, Mastercut Gems Emerald, Set by IDJ

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I bought this little emerald in 2010, from Dana at Mastercut Gems. I couldn't decide how to set it so it sat in it's box. It looked okay, but you could kinda see the cotton through it, and it wasn't too exciting.

I've attached Dana's original pics, mine is the middle one. It's a Somalia emerald, 7.5x5x4mm, 1.08 carat.

I finally decided to set it in a pendant and took it to I D Jewelry in New York City. They have set my stones before, and they have provided diamond stud jackets to half the population of PS. I put those two ideas together, and decided this was the way to go. But first, I had to be sure that was the answer and put poor Tami through 2 hours of vacillating. She is very patient and has a great sense of humor. :bigsmile: They have tons of beautiful settings, if you're ever near their store, you should go look

So, here's the before shots:

emerals001dana.jpg

emeraldstour001danab.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Now, if I had Known it was going to light up when set, I would have done it YEARS ago! :appl:

It's a white gold setting, with yellow gold prongs on the emerald, and the tiniest necklace loop they could manage. I don't like white gold touching green stones, and I don't like big "rabbit ear" pendants, so IDJ customized all that for me.

I think the white gold bounce light behind the stone, and it just glows when I wear it. You literally can't miss it, it's just so loud.

I've included a neck shot, so PSers can see that a 5 x 7 stone is plenty for a pendant. The chain is a short one, about 16 inches. My son gave it to me years ago, and I've been trying to find a great pendant for it.

_11077.jpg

emerald_9.jpg

emerald1ilander.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I tried to take it in different lights, in the blurry shot you can see how it flashes when I move. It's very dramatic.

The stupid thing still looks more blue in the photos than it does in real life, but this is about as good as the pics get for me, so "shrug". It's really a very Kelly green, and just glows.

So, if you have emeralds, get them set, they just come alive.

_11081.jpg

_11082.jpg

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock
:appl: Very very nice iLander! Perfect presence and emeraldy goodness

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's really beautiful.

In one pic it looks a lot like my green OEC. :mrgreen:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1382301378|3541246 said:
I think it's really beautiful.

In one pic it looks a lot like my green OEC. :mrgreen:

For a minute, your green OEC did show up! I think when pics are uploaded to PS, and they're duplicates of earlier pics with the same name, the website assigns a number to the pic. For a minute we had the same number! So I went and changed my pic to a different name and removed your OEC.

At least I think I did . . . you don't still see it do you? :shock:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
RTFrog|1382301738|3541251 said:
Still there - your second post, first picture! :bigsmile:

OMG, how does it look different on my screen?!

Tried again with new pic name. Is that better? Everybody hit refresh!

You know, I didn't even download Kenny's pic, it's not getting it from my laptop.

It's just a magic stone, and I think it's trying to say it wants to be mine . . . :naughty:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Wow! That's my technical comment. It's just gorgeous, iLander. Even in photos, glows. Terrific setting for it -- and that necklace is just the right kind. I'd never take that puppy off! :love:

--- Laurie

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Stunning, ILander! You really have an incredible emerald. Definitely inspiration to get mine set ASAP!

stepcutgirl

Brilliant_Rock
It's amazing!!! You have great taste!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ILander your pendant is beautiful. I love the emerald. It has amazing color.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning. You have the most amazing way of finding great bargain stones and making extraordinary jewelry. That pendant is amazing! It glows and has so much more presence than a 7x5 stone! When you get tired of it, send it my way, please. :))

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
What a stunning emerald :love: :love: :love: I love the setting you choose for it, it looks perfect on you!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You sure know how to make stones work from your halo sapphire and now this halo emerald. It looks bright and eye catching.

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock
Very lovely. I have a 6mm stone I want set into a pendant and I have been meaning to get to IDJ for a few weeks now. You have certainly inspired me!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander, what a gorgeous pendant! :love: Love the setting and I love the color...worth the wait. Wear in much health and happiness!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
RTFrog: thank you, and thanks for your help with the apparently multi-dimensional diamond

Kenny:
Thanks, and your OEC has powers!

Laurie:
Thank you! I have been wearing it a lot!

Pregcurious: Thanks!

IndyLady: The white gold reflects back there and lit it up. Can't wait to see yours!

Stepcut:
Thank you, that's sweet.

Derbygal: I'm sure you'll find one soon.

Marcy:
It really didn't until it got set

Minous:
Thank you, you're so nice. My budget is pretty low, so it takes me a long time to get stuff together.

Stargurl: Thank you, it turned out to be a good size, I was surpised

Chrono: Yes, I'm kind of a one-trick-pony on the settings

JLW05: Tell them iLander sent you! Hopefully they won't run away screaming. Tami is very nice. They don't have many pendant settings on hand, but I visualized it by looking at their already set pendants. They do have tons of catalogs and it only took a week. If I were to do it again, I would ask for less prongs on the stone, but it is very secure for such a small, fragile stone. But all those prongs disappear at about 6 inches away, so all's good. They can do custom touches, like claws, too. Oh, and their lighting is terrible for emeralds, so don't panic.

blingy: Thanks, it surprised me that it worked so well.

Missy: Thank you, dear! I'm enjoying it!

Kelli: Thank you very much!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back to say the neck shot is great - looks to be a good length for you. The stone sure has the emerald glow. Did you tell us the origin and I missed it?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more thing - on an unrelated note, can you contact me via one of my listings on LT or DB, iLander? I have a question for you. TIA! :wavey:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1382458530|3542327 said:
One more thing - on an unrelated note, can you contact me via one of my listings on LT or DB, iLander? I have a question for you. TIA! :wavey:

Thanks but no longer necessary! :bigsmile: (I would've edited my earlier response but I guess I'm out of the time period).

iLander

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1382458184|3542317 said:
Back to say the neck shot is great - looks to be a good length for you. The stone sure has the emerald glow. Did you tell us the origin and I missed it?

Dana said Somalia, but does that even sound right? Do they have emeralds there? :confused:

periwinkle

Rough_Rock
your emerald has a very nice colour & glow!!
is it really 7.5x5mm?! it looks bigger in your neck shot.
it's a lovely pendant :)
can i ask... what's the size of the pendant?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
periwinkle said:
your emerald has a very nice colour & glow!!
is it really 7.5x5mm?! it looks bigger in your neck shot.
it's a lovely pendant :)
can i ask... what's the size of the pendant?

I'm sure it's 7.5 x 5, I looked up Dana's old email to be sure. Also I have some calipers of my own. :bigsmile: I think a stone that bounces light back always looks bigger than it's size would imply. Like diamonds look bigger than, for example, a pebble the same size.

When all is said and done (in other words, including the halo) the pendant is 10 x 12 mm. I'm not including the bail (the thingy that holds it onto the chain). If you cut out a piece of paper that's 10 mm x 12 mm, and hold it up to your neck, you'll see it's really a great size for a pendant.

The IDJ diamonds are very bright and sparkly, and they are very clean. I was very pleased with their quality. Do you have a stone you want haloed?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somalia? Interesting. It is by no means the first time that I've heard that emeralds are found there, but the operative word is "found." It seems with the political unrest that continues there, it is hard for me to imagine that even if good quality emeralds were easy to find, that there would be many miners willing to put themselves in harm's way. But then again, maybe its from a long time ago? You never know with Dana!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results