shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally, a lavender Spinel of my own!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
AJ -- you''re killing me here with all your gorgeous stones.
9.gif
30.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2010 2:00:53 PM
Author: Kay
I agree with Freke. My color and symmetry issues would prevent me from combining those two stones in one ring. I would let each shine in its own setting.

Ditto. Both the stones are SO lovely that they each deserve to shine on their own!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they look great next to each other, and MariedTiger has a ring in her avatar with two stones with similar coloration to yours. Maybe a pendant??? I think MTG, or BEG, have a pendant with two spinels, one pink, one lavender as well, made by Sally or JKT (I forget who). I also like the dynamics of the round next to the oval. Solitaires, as nice as they can be, are very common, so if you want to be different, why not put them together in a piece of jewelry. I don't see why not. These are not two colors that take away anything from each other, in fact, I think they compliment each other nicely.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
At first, I was appalled by the idea of a two stone ring. Then, scrolling through the replies, I saw Mariedtiger''s avatar and was reminded of how much I love her ring (which is very, very much). I''m not a fan of bypass styles, but am a fan of well-crafted, mixed-multi-stone pieces. If it were me, I would set the oval diagonally, and then set the round next to it. The angle of the diagonal would depend on finger real estate- ie. a sharper angle closer to a N/S orientation for a smaller finger, and a more E/W orientation for a larger finger. Bezeling a possibility. I might even consider Patrick Irla for his one, and then have him place a little hydrangea somewhere in there for balance.
11.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the reason I''m ok with (Actually LOVE) mariedtiger''s ring that represents her children is because both stones are elongated. For whatever reason, I''m just not feeling the oval and round together, even the more I look at it. If it were a princess or asscher or square cushion with the round and a elongated cushion, baguette, emerald, etc with the oval, I don''t think it''d bother me nearly as much.

What other stones do you have floating around in your collection AJ?

And my *issues* do stem from OCD Mr. ma re.
2.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi TL,

I had the 2 spinel pendant (pink and lavender) which I still haven''t found yet, but which I enjoyed greatly while I still had it. Haha. I''m still hoping it turns up one of these days...

500x375.aspx

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/2/2010 10:42:03 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Hi TL,

I had the 2 spinel pendant (pink and lavender) which I still haven''t found yet, but which I enjoyed greatly while I still had it. Haha. I''m still hoping it turns up one of these days...

500x375.aspx
OMG, you lost it!!!
23.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah...it got lost amid all the wedding hulabaloo this past summer. I didn''t notice until after the honeymoon that it wasn''t in my jewelery box. I ransacked the house, but it didn''t turn up
39.gif
39.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No way, you didn''t lose this pendant!
39.gif
It has nice stones and you spent so much time working out the design.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/2/2010 10:53:21 PM
Author: Chrono
No way, you didn''t lose this pendant!
39.gif
It has nice stones and you spent so much time working out the design.

I know, I suck. I was really bummed, still haven''t entirely gotten over it. Haven''t been able to get either spinels or anything from JKT since then! Ah well.

But, back to the topic of AJ and her beautiful spinels, I think they''d make a lovely pendant
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they would make a lovely pendant too, with the round spinel on top and the elongated oval dangling from it.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you guys for the lovely comments on my rings :)

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
So pretty, I love the color! Can''t wait to see the finished ring!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much everyone for your replies, both compliments and honest thoughts on the setting of the two stones!
again I apologize as I don't have a ton of time, but to be a bit more clear on the setting style - I love the suggestions that have come so far..

infact, unless Julia had any really different ideas, I think I would love to do something "inspired" by marie's mother thing (if thats ok with her of course) - with the stones bezeled, the oval N-S at a slight angle and the round at the top next to it, with a metal flower filling the space that is created between them..
A bezeled diamond would work too, but I don't have the funds atm plus I think this would be a lil more different..

fortunately I don't think I have as bad "symmetry issues" as my fellow PSers, as demonstrated by my JKT 3 stone, so the idea doesn't bug me
5.gif

A couple folk made a good point though - this would make quite a large ring, I'd have to check first with Julia the measurements would work. It would def. have to go on my right hand middle finger, which is about a 7ish..

I also agree with others that both stones are lovely and it would be nice to have both in separate pieces - however I'm not sure if I'd have budget or original ideas for that, lol!

Here's the best pic I had to show kinda how the stones would be oriented, but the round higher so that it's top is in line with the oval's, and than a carved "Van Craeynest style" flower in negative space that's created between them..does that make sense?

Thanks again all for your f/b and comments, I will be back when I have a lil more time,cheers!
35.gif

DSC06468rs.JPG

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/3/2010 4:18:39 AM
Author: arjunajane
Thanks so much everyone for your replies, both compliments and honest thoughts on the setting of the two stones!
again I apologize as I don''t have a ton of time, but to be a bit more clear on the setting style - I love the suggestions that have come so far..

infact, unless Julia had any really different ideas, I think I would love to do something ''inspired'' by marie''s mother thing (if thats ok with her of course) - with the stones bezeled, the oval N-S at a slight angle and the round at the top next to it, with a metal flower filling the space that is created between them..
A bezeled diamond would work too, but I don''t have the funds atm plus I think this would be a lil more different..

fortunately I don''t think I have as bad ''symmetry issues'' as my fellow PSers, as demonstrated by my JKT 3 stone, so the idea doesn''t bug me
5.gif

A couple folk made a good point though - this would make quite a large ring, I''d have to check first with Julia the measurements would work. It would def. have to go on my right hand middle finger, which is about a 7ish..

I also agree with others that both stones are lovely and it would be nice to have both in separate pieces - however I''m not sure if I''d have budget or original ideas for that, lol!

Here''s the best pic I had to show kinda how the stones would be oriented, but the round higher so that it''s top is in line with the oval''s, and than a carved ''Van Craeynest style'' flower in negative space that''s created between them..does that make sense?

Thanks again all for your f/b and comments, I will be back when I have a lil more time,cheers!
35.gif
Sounds gorgeous!
36.gif

Look forward to prelim sketches
31.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Andi!
Although this one will have to wait - I already have another 3 stone design
being worked on with Julia, with my blue and green tourms and an aqua (also from Barry) - sketches of that one should be along shortly!

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
I''d be honored AJ
35.gif
I can totally see what you mean from your picture, and I like the idea a lot. Then again, I might be a bit biased
9.gif
I also think Julia would perfectly pull off the positioning of the stones in a ''sculptural'' way. I mean so the stones and flower are positioned in different heights so they look great, as I think you mentioned in your post.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Your idea does make sense, but I''d also think about aligning their lowest points instead of their highest - so that the oval kind of leans onto the round one (does that make sense?). BTW are you sure about bezeling these? Their transparency and brilliance could get significantly diminished that way, and I think those are some of the more interesting features of these stones. But do what''ll make you happy of course, I''m just suggesting.

luckynumber

Brilliant_Rock
i am seriously loving both of those stones!

I also would set them on their own coz:

1. they are beautiful enough to hold their own

2. that means you can have 2 new pieces of gorgeous jewellry instead of one!

27.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Both really pretty stones. However, I think they would be best set separately. They are both in the purple-ish realm, but the secondary colors are so different that they sort of clash for me.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your lavendar spinel is gorgeous. I love your sapphire ring too.
36.gif

pierreone

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful spinels. Seeing MakingTheGrade''s cool pendant earlier in this thread gave me an idea for your ring. See the circled area in the image. (MTG, I hope it''s not a no-no that I "drew" on your pic to use as a visual aid.) I was also inspired by the shape of a modern sofa. The overall shape would be a lopsided figure 8 or infinity shape, with a stone in each of the loops. Depending on how big the entire thing is, you could have it set either N-S or E-W.

Can''t wait to see what you end up doing.

spinel_2stone_mockup.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hrmm..
well if I''ve counted properly, that is 7 calls against a two stone ring, six calls for and a number of votes for a pendant - ack!
9.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
So to start from the beginning;

Thankyou very much to
sunkist
vigor ruby
Indylady
Largosmom
and MTG - I like to mismatch too
5.gif

LD, thankyou and to answer your question I''m quite confident this would be regarded as a colour-shifter.
The photos I posted are quite representative, with it having an authentic lavender with pinky flash colour when indoors, and changing to a lighter periwinkle violet-blue when outside with more sun on it..
1.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/1/2010 8:40:37 AM
Author: ma re
Rarely do I say this for light blues, but that is really nice! Honestly I''d think about something minimalistic, dainty and white for the setting, to keep it as open as possible around the stone as it''s sparkliness (making up the words again) should really be brought out as much as possible. It''s got that icy combination of high transparency and brilliance which I''m sure looks amazing IRL.

Regardng mixing and matching - if you like it, don''t think twice. I think your sapphire has such a color (at least in photos) that it looks nice next to either of the metals, and I honestly never think about what some ring, or a combination of them, might mean.

Thankyou ma re for your input on the spinel and sapphire ring - I can assure you the colour of the sapphire is even nicer in person
2.gif

I agree with you that white metal will be the way to go with the spinel, and I''ve taken your comment later in the thread about not bezeling under consideration..

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/2/2010 10:48:24 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 1/2/2010 10:42:03 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Hi TL,

500x375.aspx
OMG, you lost it!!!
23.gif
I really like it. It reminds me of a very classy pink and lavender spinel brooch that I have seen in Renee Newman''s book. I forgot who made it but it was one of well-known designers. It looked stunning but I think yours is better.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thankyou to:

Amber Gretchen - perhaps you do
3.gif
2.gif

Michelle - thanks, and love your new set!
TL - cheers, glad you enjoyed the pics. You''re correct, Barry always does a masterful job of bringing out the stone''s best.
Thankyou to:
Marie
Gemgirl - I wish I were a halo person - would make my life a lil easier
40.gif

Laila
Lyra
and miracles - you''re correct about that! As I mentioned, I''ve been actively searching for a lavender for over a year now.
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/1/2010 11:40:32 AM
Author: Fly Girl
Stunning spinel, AJ! Very pretty compliment to your sapphire, but the sapphire remains on center stage.
3.gif

The two rings together are fine, but I think what I like best about them is that they each will look great on their own. Over the years I have loved having a plain gold band to wear on its own when I was busy with activities where I couldn''t wear my diamond ring. As for together, they are like what royality wears, so how can you go wrong?
2.gif

Thanks flygirl - I do agree with you, it''s going to be difficult comparing new stones to my sapphire now - I don''t think I''ll try
2.gif

Thanks for your input on the pairing together - yep I love having a variety of gold bands to mix n match - but sometimes I feel funny wearing a whole set as I''m engaged but not married
5.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/1/2010 11:41:34 AM
Author: cellentani
Beautiful spinel, AJ! I especially love the flashes of different colors - all those pinks, periwinkles, and lavenders make for a very interesting stone. I''d be twirling that one around all day just to see what colors it shows. Looking forward to seeing your setting idea - very intriguing!

Cheers C!
Yup it''s a very fun stone to play with - I always stop and "visit" with it on the way past my jewellery box, lol..

I''m not sure if you''ve posted again since, do you have an opinion on the 2 stone setting idea..?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/1/2010 12:03:07 PM
Author: packrat
That''s a beautiful spinel AJ! That lavender color is so gorgeous! Looking forward to seeing your idea for this one!

And, I like the yg band w/your sapph-I like when things go together w/out being matched exactly.

Hey there fellow lavender lover!
Thankyou for your compliments on the new gem and the rings
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results