shape
carat
color
clarity

Feedback needed on depth % of fancy yellow just purchased...

themac132

Rough_Rock
Hopefully someone on here can provide some additional insight beyond my basic knowledge.

I was been looking for a fancy yellow diamond for the engagement ring for my girlfriend and ended up recently buying a 2.0 carat "modified square brilliant" fancy yellow diamond for $12,500. Here are the specs from the GIA report:

Shape and Cutting Style: Modified Square Brilliant
Measurements: 6.81 x 6.64 x 5.19 mm
Carat Weight: 2.00 carat
Color Origin: Natural
Color Grade: Fancy Yellow
Colore Distribution: Even
Clarity Grade: VS1
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None
Table %: 67%
Girdle: Thick - Extremely Thick (faceted)
Depth %: 78.1%

I was really excited to find a 2.00 carat fancy yellow at this price, but my main concern is in regards to the depth % and weight being hidden in the pavilion, resulting in a slightly smaller top than other typical 2.00 carat diamonds.

The description of the diamond at the place I bought it from had "cushion" in the product title, followed by "princess shape" and "princess cut" (no mention of "cushion" again) in the paragraph description of the diamond. The GIA report classified it as a "modified square brilliant", I'm assuming due to the pointed corners, yet it is also very rounded on the sides.

Given the above, as well as the attached photos, is the depth % an issue? From what I've read, there are no definite rules with the depth % for fancies (as opposed to round stones). However, it does seem as though 78.1% would be a rather high and undesirable depth for a true cushion cut, while at the same time many would consider the same depth as fine on a true princess cut.

My concern is I don't really know which of those cuts my diamond is most like. On the one hand it has pointed corners and was classified by the GIA as "modified square brilliant", while also described as "princess cut" and "princess shape" by the seller. On the other hand, the sides are pretty rounded and the seller also described it as a "cushion cut".

Based upon this information, does anybody have any thoughts on whether this depth % is problematic?

The diamond is still beautiful, but I'm just worried about the depth % and that I paid for hidden weight in the pavilion. Or should I not even be complaining right now, given what I paid for it?

All comments are much appreciated!

fancy-yellow-diamond.jpg

fancy.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Feedback needed on depth % of fancy yellow just purchase

When it comes to coloured stones, most types of cuts are modified "something" because there are too many different patterns to count. It is definitely not a princess cut stone though. If you like the colour (and the look / sparkle), forget the depth % and cut name. Often times, depth is needed in coloured stones to get better colouration (deeper hue, darker tone and stronger saturation). If you plan to look for a stone than is around 60% in depth, it will be a long search.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's deeper than usual. Is that a problem? Well, it depends on whether or not you like the face-up size, the price, and the color.

themac132

Rough_Rock

I know my girlfriend wanted a fancy yellow (not light or intense or vivid) and I like the color and sparkle a lot. Of course, I definitely wouldn't mind having less depth and a larger face-up size instead (at least 7x7 mm would be preferred in my mind for a 2.00 carat).

But realistically, I'm wondering, if I return this one, what are the odds of me actually finding something with that face-up size while also maintaining similar specs to what I have in this diamond and also not going much above what I've already spent ($12-13 K was my ceiling for the diamond going into this).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The fact that it is right on the 2.00 ct mark bugs me somewhat. In the back of my mind, I keep thinking that the lapidary retained that weight also to hit that magic number, which of course, brings it up to a higher price per carat. Is there nothing else on Leibish's website?

themac132

Rough_Rock

Unfortunately, there's not a lot to go off of on Leibish's website right now to compare similar diamonds and prices. I think it'll definitely be hard to hit the 2.00 carat mark again while keeping the price between $12-$13 K. Here's a 2.02 carat with a smaller depth %, although even it doesn't reach 7x7 mm for the face-up size (in fact, it's face-up dimensions are very similar to the diamond I have):

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/fancy-color/yellow/cushion-cut/2.02-carat-vvs2-clarity-sku-239004

Perhaps I'm hoping/asking for too much in terms of face-up dimensions for a fancy colored diamond, given my price limitations?

themac132

Rough_Rock

Chrono|1383748952|3551566 said:
The fact that it is right on the 2.00 ct mark bugs me somewhat. In the back of my mind, I keep thinking that the lapidary retained that weight also to hit that magic number, which of course, brings it up to a higher price per carat.

By the way, I thought the exact same thing when I was buying the diamond, but I also thought the price seemed really good despite that. In fact, when I inquired about purchasing the diamond, I was told by their rep that they made an error and had published the price too low, but would still honor that price for me. I never did see what they actually would have been selling it for, since I ended up buying it. To be honest, I have no way of knowing whether what the rep told me was the truth or just a way of trying to bate me into buying the diamond. Given other prices I've seen though, it does seem like there is a good chance it was underpriced.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Leibish is running a sale at the moment and I hope yours falls into this category? By the same token, JA also gives discounts to Pricescopers so do find out how much of a price reduction you will get. There is another additional discount for a wire transfer payment (I think).

themac132

Rough_Rock

I purchased the diamond about a week and a half before their fall color sale started, so my discount was simply for being a first time buyer/member plus the wire transfer discount. I don't recall what the original price was, but want to say it was somewhere around or just above $13 K.

Thanks for the information on James Allen. It looks like they offer a 1.5% discount for wire transfer, but I haven't been able to figure out the Pricescope discount yet.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't know how JA calculates their discount but I've often seen it as high as 5%.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock

I'm not an expert by any means, but I love the shape of the first stone! I think I'd call it a cushion. While the depth is high, for the price and color it might be worth it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just wanted to say that if the pic is anything near accurate that is a very very saturated Fancy Yellow.
Some Fancy Intense Yellows don't look that saturated.
And yes FCDs are often deep to strengthen the color by making the light pass through more color material, and to save precious weight.

themac132

Rough_Rock

Yeah, I think the color is pretty accurate. That was another reason the diamond stood out to me in the first place, as it seemed more yellow than the other diamonds labelled "fancy yellow" that I was looking at when I bought it. I'm assuming this yellower appearance is primarily due to the greater depth, rather than the color actually being more saturated, correct?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

themac132|1383760309|3551678 said:
Yeah, I think the color is pretty accurate. That was another reason the diamond stood out to me in the first place, as it seemed more yellow than the other diamonds labelled "fancy yellow" that I was looking at when I bought it. I'm assuming this yellower appearance is primarily due to the greater depth, rather than the color actually being more saturated, correct?

Rough material varies.
Some rough has more inherent body color.

But yes, greater depth means more colored body material for the light to travel through and get tinted by.

One single GIA color grade actually allows for a wide range of hue, tone and saturation.
Nature does not place each diamond in the center of the range.
That's one of the most saturated Fancy Yellows I've ever seen, again including the standard caveat for photography.
It should be priced high for a Fancy Yellow, as a very pale Fancy Yellow should be priced low.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I just wanted to point out that the visual spread difference between 6.81 x 6.64 and 7 x 7 is going to be very very small.

And that's definitely a cushion, its just that the pavilion looks similar to the cut of a princess.

ohlala

Rough_Rock

first, lovely diamond and congrats! :love:

as long as you and your girl love it, that's all that matters :lol:

but for information purposes, i think they priced it lower because of the depth% being so large.

from just looking at the face/table, it could be mistaken for a ~1.5 ct diamond.

here is an example diamond that is 1.54 (price US$9,600)
fancy yellow cushion 6.70 x 6.30 x 3.99
depth 63.3
polish: VG, sym: VG, clarity: VVS2

if it were me *and* all things being equal (i know all things can't be equal...maybe the saturation is better with more depth) and i was getting a diamond to set for a ring, i would buy the 1.54ct fancy yellow instead of the 2ct that costs more but you can't see. as i look more and more at FCD's and diamonds, i feel more and more you get what you pay for. so if something seems amazingly cheap...there is a reason. this is esp. true with established diamond companies because they are in the business to price things according to market. but it all depends on what you want. if you want the GIA to say 2ct, then you got a deal. if you want the face and the set ring to look a certain size for a specific price, then you could have gotten a better deal by getting a 1.5~1.6ct diamond. it all depends on what you want. no right, no wrong! :lol:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

My 1.51ct (white) princess is 6.4x6.2mm but has no table to speak of.

I think it looks like a gorgeous diamond, and I'd love to see real life pics if you have them!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

It looks beautiful. If you are happy about the face up size, then I would be okay with spending more money to get such a lovely stone in terms of color and cut.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I don't have enough experience to comment on the cut, especially when combined with fancy colors, but it does look like a very pretty stone, and if it's within your budget reach, all the better! If you decide to keep it, I'm sure your girlfriend will be quite taken a back by it. Can't wait to hear if you keep it, how you plan to set it - all those great things!

But if you're unsure, don't feel locked in - it's ok to return a stone, even if you don't know what else may be out there because there will be other options available with a little time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results