carat
color
clarity

FCD's: Size or Saturation?

KR

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I have been bitten by the FCD bug!

In my search, I have noticed that it keeps feeling like, within a set budget, I must choose between size or saturation, all other things being equal (or as equal as they can be since each stone is unique).

FCD collectors, how do you usually choose and what would you recommend in terms of ranked criteria for a budding collector?

Any and all suggestions and discussion are desired!

Thanks!
K

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I go for saturation first for the most part. Because I cannot afford vivid, I try for intense whenever possible while trying to maximize size. I also keep an eye out for sales, which helps. I purchased my FIPP during a 30% off sale, which brought it down to within my budget.

KR

Rough_Rock
Hi Chrono!

Thank you for your reply!

I had a feeling saturation should come first :)

Has there ever been an exception to the rule? For example, if the cup or halo of setting will enhance the color? I am planning to set my stones in rings. My first FCD was a light pink that was already set in a ring, it's in a fancy pink halo in RG and I find the halo and the RG brings out the color pretty well. That's what started me on my journey! The second I have purchased (and not yet received, but it's on it's way) is a 1 ct fancy brownish pink, it looks pretty saturated in pics and the brown sort of gives it an intense purplish pink look (in pics) and I hope that's what it will look like IRL.

I am now on the hunt for a blue. I find I can afford fancy light, but... small. But I also found a nicely sized very light that is very appealing to me (in terms of size). But I don't know if it's worth it? It's priced at about the same price of a D color diamond. Is it going to just look like a D color diamond with SBF? I keep thinking, maybe I can cup it or halo it to bring out the blue color...but maybe that won't be enough? Should I put that diamond out of my mind and focus on the smaller more saturated colors? I went through this dilemma with the pink, and ultimately chose the most saturated of my candidates. But I am wondering how this plays out when it comes to blue?

It's a little hard to re-train my brain to focus on small and saturated, because I like size =P. But I'm trying!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not everyone likes the same thing so if you like size, there's nothing wrong with that. ;)) Even if I have a light or vivid stone, I'm still going to set it in such a way to further amp up the colour. I will use the metal colour or cup (if needed) or halo that makes the colour stronger. Going with brownish pink is also a great way to be able to afford a larger sized pink. Blues are trickier though because they tend to be quite gray and yet so expensive. :(sad I've seen gray blue diamonds set in a rose gold halo with pink melees to bring out more of the blue.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
FCD?
saturation over size.

KR

Rough_Rock
Thank you, again Chrono!

Blue diamonds are SO expensive...killing me! But the color is so out of this world! I love that it's a color you usually see in gems, but coupled with that diamond brilliance, it's just....ahhh! I have become so enthralled with blues, I'm very tempted to return the pink before it even arrives to just focus on blue LOL. I have a few ideas on how to bring out the color in a setting, pretty close to what you have mentioned--it's very exciting!

I do like size, but, I'm trying to find a middle ground. 1 ct already is small for my taste (the diamond I wear daily faces up 10.23 x 9.23 mm, an antique cushion, on a size 4 ringer), but yeahhhhhhh not going to able to afford a collection of 10 mm FCD's in any plausible future of mine lol. Maybe in a different lifetime.

So, do you think a very light blue is something I shouldn't bother with... even it if were over 2 carats? Again, I'm tempted by the size, but, I fear that it won't even look like a FCD, yet I'd be paying the premium for it to appear on the cert, yet it has no color to the eye. Have you seen a very light blue in person before? Is it worth exploring or should I forget it? The only blue diamond I have ever seen was a in a museum, it was vivid, and amazing!

I am also looking at blueish greens and greenish blues to get the price down... I love that pretty aqua color that they have. I haven't been able to find many greyish blues, it seems like maybe those get snapped up pretty quickly. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a grey blue or blueish gray that still looks blue enough, but so far from what I've seen they don't look very blue in pics. I'm still hunting, but at the moment the front runners are a small FL greenish blue, and mid sized FL blueish green, and that big very light blue (listed from least expensive to most expensive).

Any thoughts/comments/discussion on the above is greatly appreciated!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On a tight budget, I would go for saturation over size if I were keeping it as an investment stone.

Otherwise, I would go for size over saturation if I just wanted it as a piece of blingy jewelry.

To me, lighter and less saturated FCD's can be really beautiful, especially if you mount them in gold metals and/or surround them with stones that help to emphasize their color.

Personally, I don't care for some that are too saturated, like fancy vivid reds, which are overly dark, and you can't even see sparkle. They're very valuable because the color is so rare. I also prefer lighter pinks to fancy vivids, but that's just me. However, as an investment, saturation is very important. I only mention investment with FCD's because a lot of people do purchase them for that purpose, even though everyone says gemstones should not be bought as an investment.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
it all depends on you really...

what are the colored diamonds for? if for collection, i'd go for saturation over size... if you're making rings out of them, well i'm more of a size person myself... and bang-for-the-buck... so i'd probably find a middle ground of saturation and size... also some people like the lighter pastel colors over the darker ones...

what do you like? :)

i'm pretty certain a light blue diamond will NOT look like a colorless diamond with SBF... they got a light blue grade for a reason... true it might look colorless in some lights, but for you're you'll be able to tell that it's blue... a 2 carats light blue will still cost a small fortune btw... :lol:

KR

Rough_Rock
Hi TL! Thank you for the input!

That makes me feel better about me wanting size and lighter colors for rings.

Maybe I can buy the big light colors and set those, and then if I find wee ones that I like for collecting I'll just hold on to those loose.

That sounds like a lot of fun :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KR|1383589429|3550236 said:
Have you seen a very light blue in person before? Is it worth exploring or should I forget it?

I saw a large light blue in a museum. It really didn't do as much for me as a fancy light pink would, but that's subjective.

I suppose if it had the right setting, and in the right kind of lighting, it might look more "blue." It looked like an off white diamond with a slightly greyish cast, and the very very very slightest hint of blue.

I'm not a huge fan of blue diamonds however, but you may be. I like greens and pinks.

KR

Rough_Rock
Hi Acebruin!

Nice to chat with you again! I finally mustered up the courage to post lol!

I'm glad to hear you like bang for the buck and size!

So I hope you won't be surprised to hear that I found a bigger, less saturated pink pear today that has come into play now, and I haven't even seen the pink on it's way to me yet. GAHH! It's actually 2 mm longer, a fancy light, and pinkish brown so I worry that it won't be pink enough but I'm exploring the option...and it's less expensive! Thoughts on that?

About the big blue, it's actually a VERY light blue, so not light blue. I have it reserved right now, it's priced pretty well actually, but it's a lot of money though so that's why I worry if the color will be visible enough? Based on your comments though, it sounds like you think I should seriously consider it. And since blues over 2 ct usually cost a fortune, I think this could be a score, but at the same time, maybe they priced it so low because the color isn't really all too noticeable... hmm... thoughts?

KR

Rough_Rock
TL|1383597145|3550315 said:
Have you seen a very light blue in person before? Is it worth exploring or should I forget it?

I saw a large light blue in a museum. It really didn't do as much for me as a fancy light pink would, but that's subjective.

I suppose if it had the right setting, and in the right kind of lighting, it might look more "blue." It looked like an off white diamond with a slightly greyish cast, and the very very very slightest hint of blue.

I'm not a huge fan of blue diamonds however, but you may be. I like greens and pinks.

Now that's my fear... and that's a light blue... and a very light blue would be even lighter...

I wonder if I could get the same effect from a white diamond with a blue gold cup :) haha

Thank you for that, TL! That is a very sobering comment. I need that :) I do like blues, but I think I like more of the aqua colors of the greenish blues or blueish greens rather than the greyish blues...I'm not all that into grey...but I also like the powdery look of fancy light pure blues--but oh my are they expensive! So if a light blue would just look greyish and a very light blue even lighter than that, then that's probably not what I'm after...hmmm...I guess I had hoped that a very light blue might have a blueish blush like very light pinks give a pretty pink blush...but I guess in a white diamond, blue colored light is very close to white light so it probably mutes the color more than in other colors? It would feel like an awful waste of money if I couldn't really see the blue.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KR|1383598649|3550323 said:
TL|1383597145|3550315 said:

Now that's my fear... and that's a light blue... and a very light blue would be even lighter...

I wonder if I could get the same effect from a white diamond with a blue gold cup :) haha

Thank you for that, TL! That is a very sobering comment. I need that :) I do like blues, but I think I like more of the aqua colors of the greenish blues or blueish greens rather than the greyish blues...I'm not all that into grey...but I also like the powdery look of fancy light pure blues--but oh my are they expensive! So if a light blue would just look greyish and a very light blue even lighter than that, then that's probably not what I'm after...hmmm...I guess I had hoped that a very light blue might have a blueish blush like very light pinks give a pretty pink blush...but I guess in a white diamond, blue colored light is very close to white light so it probably mutes the color more than in other colors? It would feel like an awful waste of money if I couldn't really see the blue.

I like greenish blues or bluish green diamonds too. That little touch of green makes a difference. However, it's just my opinion. I've seen synthetic blue diamonds that were very beautiful, and they are supposed to emulate natural blues. They're both colored by the same chemical element I believe, which is boron.

I've also seen people come back from visiting the Hope Diamond, and they were "meh," too dark and not blue enough, but oh well.

I suppose in the right setting, a nice icy blue is probably very lovely. The stone I saw was a pale blue with nothing surrounding it. The color really wasn't emphasized by a pink halo, or some warm color that would give it some "oomph" if you know what I mean.

KR

Rough_Rock
TL, the blueish greens and greenish blues really are something special! Those are the ones that really make my eyes pop out of my head lol. A vendor sent me a pic of one on a purple/pink/fuchsia background and I almost died! I had that aha! moment, because I before, I really did not like pink and the blue diamonds paired together, I just didn't understand it, but when I saw the blueish green color pop like that on the fuchsia background I was like, OMG! I understand now! I'll see if I can figure out how to post it. I would set it in a purple/pink/fuchia halo.

I have this stone on hold currently as well.

What do you think?

It's very small, but I love that color!

The problem once again, though, its it's small, lol.

I figured how to post it. That was easier than I thought.

I don't have any IRL pics of the very light blue yet, but I imagine it's not as bright as this one.

blueish_green_on_pink.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I would never judge a colored stone, or an FCD for that matter, against anything other than a white or light grey background. Yes, it will look better against certain backgrounds, but I don't think it should be judged that way.

KR

Rough_Rock
On a white background, it has a very pale aqua color to it, pretty "meh" to be honest when I first saw it, but I wanted to see it against pink/purple to get a better sense of what pink/purple would do it, and I was blown away!

I was just trying to go off of your suggestion to set it with pinks and that you also like the greenish blues and blueish greens =P and that we are thinking on the same wavelength =)

This is the pic that got me exploring exotic colored metals...

I'll find a pic the vendor sent to me in a white background and post it.

in_4.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KR|1383604803|3550406 said:
On a white background, it has a very pale aqua color to it, pretty "meh" to be honest when I first saw it, but I wanted to see it against pink/purple to get a better sense of what pink/purple would do it, and I was blown away!

I was just trying to go off of your suggestion to set it with pinks and that you also like the greenish blues and blueish greens =P

I'll find a pic the vendor sent to me in a white background and post it.

Also, please check out the left bottom corner of the photo, and there's a bit of a bluish swatch there. I suspect the vendor may have amped up the saturation with the camera, but I could be wrong. That's another reason to check it out against a neutral background, so there's no funny business going on with the photo that is difficult to detect.

KR

Rough_Rock
Here are a few more pics of the same stone with different color backgrounds. Thoughts?

All of these pics the vendor took with their cell phone. I had asked for IRL pics with no filters or editing. I asked for different backgrounds because I wanted to understand how the stone's color would interact with its environment, and also give me setting ideas for what colors to pair with it to bring out the best in the stone. And of course a handshot to get some size perspective. Again, it's small!

There was one more contender that I was looking at, other than the big very light blue, from another vendor I have not contacted yet, I'll post pics of both when I get them. At the moment I was loving this stone. Do you think I should keep looking though?

on_green.jpg

on_yellow.jpg

on_1.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KR|1383605405|3550417 said:
Here are a few more pics of the same stone with different color backgrounds. Thoughts?

All of these pics the vendor took with their cell phone. I had asked for IRL pics with no filters or editing. I asked for different backgrounds because I wanted to understand how the stone's color would interact with its environment, and also give me setting ideas for what colors to pair with it to bring out the best in the stone. And of course a handshot to get some size perspective. Again, it's small!

There was one more contender that I was looking at, other than the big very light blue, from another vendor I have not contacted yet, I'll post pics of both when I get them. At the moment I was loving this stone. Do you think I should keep looking though?

Does it have a GIA report? It could be my monitor, but it looks like an off white, greyish diamond.

KR

Rough_Rock
Bummer! It looks off white grey?

Here is the GIA report #: 2145814009

Guess it's time to start looking the more expensive options lol.

The other contender is similar in size, but more saturated, and more expensive, I'm going to contact them today. Also waiting on more info/pics on the big blue, that one is far less saturated, also more expensive, but again, big. I'm starting to think, if it looks off white at a higher saturation anyway, might as well go big? LOL

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you don't mind me saying that in all honesty, in almost all the photos, the stone looks grey to me. :(sad There is one shot where it looks a bit blue as well, but I don't think this stone will read as "blue" out in the world when set...I am by no means an expert, though!

KR

Rough_Rock
No I don't mind at all, please, honest opinions are totally appreciated!!! I'd rather hear the truth so I know to keep looking rather than be wasting time and money on the little on voice inside my head that says "go for it! it might look better in real life than it does in pics!" LOL. Or worse, if I've managed to convince myself it's good and then waste money on a stone that doesn't even look like what it's supposed to be.

I'll let the cat out of the bag though--purple gold exists, and once I've chosen the blue I'm going to move forward with, I'm going to cup it in purple gold. I've already confirmed it's possible and have someone who will do it :) I'm very excited!

Therein lies the dilemma again though.... size or saturation... it sounds like this one is both too small, and not saturated, AND not blue enough? *sad face* LOL

It's okay, searching is pretty fun. Exasperating! But fun!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KR|1383607898|3550453 said:
No I don't mind at all, please, honest opinions are totally appreciated!!! I'd rather hear the truth so I know to keep looking rather than be wasting time and money on the little on voice inside my head that says "go for it! it might look better in real life than it does in pics!" LOL. Or worse, if I've managed to convince myself it's good and then waste money on a stone that doesn't even look like what it's supposed to be.

I'll let the cat out of the bag though--purple gold exists, and once I've chosen the blue I'm going to move forward with, I'm going to cup it in purple gold. I've already confirmed it's possible and have someone who will do it :) I'm very excited!

Therein lies the dilemma again though.... size or saturation... it sounds like this one is both too small, and not saturated, AND not blue enough? *sad face* LOL

It's okay, searching is pretty fun. Exasperating! But fun!

I think purple gold is very brittle though and not really used for setting gems.

I see a tad bit of blue in this photo, but its really like a hint of blue.

in_4.jpg

KR

Rough_Rock
Double bummer then! Steven Kirsch is the one who said he can do it. Now I'm wondering why he would say that he could make me a purple cup if it would be too brittle for gem setting? Maybe because the gem would not be set into it, but the cup just placed under it. I'd be super sad to find out that it ultimately can't be done after he said he could do it?

Sounds like I should just look for something more saturated. I'll post more pics soon as I have them and look forward to your input!

If this blue isn't really blue, hopefully my pink won't be such a disappointment. I hope it will look pink enough.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KR|1383609466|3550470 said:
Double bummer then! Steven Kirsch is the one who said he can do it. Now I'm wondering why he would say that he could make me a purple cup if it would be too brittle for gem setting? Maybe because the gem would not be set into it, but the cup just placed under it.

Sounds like I should just look for something more saturated. I'll post more pics soon as I have them and look forward to your input!

If this blue isn't really blue, hopefully my pink won't be such a disappointment. I hope it will look pink enough.

Well, maybe he can make a purple cup. I just heard it was more brittle, but if he said he can, I wouldn't doubt it. I don't know if a purple cup would help a blue diamond though, as much as a pink diamond however. I also don't recommend an enclosed cup under a stone because it can be impossible to clean the gem that way, and it can trap soap and condensaton.

KR

Rough_Rock
Right--I agree the cup--I had planned for a hole big enough to let light pass through the stone and to allow me to clean it.

I know I can't use harsh chemicals on purple gold, too, so definitely needs to be a hole big enough for physical cleaning.

It's new territory for me and all very experimental but very exciting!

Thank you, TL! Lots of great advice and lots of food for thought.

I really appreciate and enjoy the discussion very much. It will help guide me as I continue to look for the right stones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
KR|1383609871|3550479 said:
Right--I agree the cup--I had planned for a hole big enough to let light pass through the stone and to allow me to clean it.

I know I can't use harsh chemicals on purple gold, too, so definitely needs to be a hole big enough for physical cleaning.

It's new territory for me and all very experimental but very exciting!

Thank you, TL! Lots of great advice and lots of food for thought.

I really appreciate and enjoy the discussion very much. It will help guide me as I continue to look for the right stones.

Well, I think instead of a purple cup, I would set a blue diamond in a rose gold basket, and surrounded by pink diamonds, or pink sapphires (if pink diamonds are not an option). I remember when I first saw this Leon ring, and it inspired me to set a blue spinel in rose gold, and I just love the combination. I think it would work fine with a much less saturated blue as well, since the contrast of the surrounding metal and stones makes the blue "pop."

Thanks for the conversation as well, it's fun to talk about FCD's. :bigsmile:

file.jpg

blue_diamond_rose_gold.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I would go for fineness of color over size. However, fineness of color does not always mean saturation. Intense, plain Fancy, light and even those only tinged can all make excellent colored diamonds. Fineness of color with less saturation can bring a larger FCD into one's budget.

KR

Rough_Rock
VapidLapid|1383664456|3550810 said:
I would go for fineness of color over size. However, fineness of color does not always mean saturation. Intense, plain Fancy, light and even those only tinged can all make excellent colored diamonds. Fineness of color with less saturation can bring a larger FCD into one's budget.

Hi VapidLapid!

Thank you so much for weighing in! Can you elaborate on this? This sounds very interesting to me I like this thinking to guide me in buying. I'm a total newb so, how would I go about judging "fineness of color"? Do you mean like the pure colors, or a color that may have modifiers but still look pure? Can you post some examples or a fine color vs. a not fine color?

I am mainly looking at pinks and blues.

Thanks so much!

K

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
What mean by fineness of color is likely a subjective term. It takes into account not only the color and any secondary and or modifiers, but also how well it plays in the cut and whether it is influenced by, or itself influences perceived clarity. Ultimately it is a sense of the colot and the stone being just right for each other, regardless of it being a vivid pure blue or a light blue. I grabbed some pics from websites in the hope that I might illustrate that for you. It is important to remember we are talking about how the stones appear in the pictures since that is all we are working with, not the stones themselves. To simplify the discussion I have chosen only stones that were graded as blue, no secondary. Yes a grey modifier or a green secondary will affect the perception of a color. And individual subjective tastes can always play a wild card in evaluating color. I happen to really like blue diamonds with green modifiers in lighter tones. Others may not.

Three of these are fancy intense blue.

fib.png

fib1.png

flb.jpg

fb.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results