carat
color
clarity

FCD CAD assistance request

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks!

Hmm...2 totally different looks; one is clean and "sharp" whilst the other is curvy and "flowery". The previous guy was a CAD designer. He's left the company to move to the East Coast. I haven't touched base with the new CAD designer yet, who is female.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Bummer. Now you're going to have to re-educate someone else. However, it does explain why he didn't "get" russian design, why he discounted Caysie's design without saying it could work if... and why he isn't familiar with the hundreds of rings that must have been made in this 'stalk' design throughout the world from 1880s to 1920-ish.

You can get engraving in - either on the shank coming into the pear, or the one I posted earlier with the spray. Let me take off the lower leaf and reverse the pear.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I forgot to put the white diamond in but you get the picture if you want it asymmetrical.

cad-halfnhalf-2.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please don't hurt me (too much) if I admit to preferring the Belle Epoch and Tiara inspired designs more. :oops: :lol: They just seem more "old" in feel, which is what attracts me to them.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm... I've just found this at Lang Antiques...
http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-4772

ETA: I'm looking at the curvy bits and how they join.

Huh! It's just the bright shinyness putting you off. If I knew how to dirty them up a bit you'[d probably feel differently. But what you're also saying is that you now prefer the symmetrical to the asymmetrical when before it was the other way around. Correct?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, but it's not up my alley. I'm trying to find a pattern as to my likes and dislikes. It is clear that I do not like busy-ness. I am drawn to clean and simple lines, with a small amount of engraving to keep things from looking boring or too plain.

1330680356_10_1_4772__1_of_4_.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
You have to re-imagine it...
the flower at the top is replaced by the pear
all leaves are engraved gold
the pinks go at the bottom sides and
the middle pearl and diamond are replaced by your white and oval

Any better now?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1405612363|3715108 said:
Huh! It's just the bright shinyness putting you off. If I knew how to dirty them up a bit you'[d probably feel differently. But what you're also saying is that you now prefer the symmetrical to the asymmetrical when before it was the other way around. Correct?

LOL! Should I ask Lang's to dirty up the ring and rephotograph it? :devil:

Not exactly; I want a bit of symmetrical asymmetrical-ness in the ring, if that makes any sense. Having one half be an exact mirror image of the other half feels too stiff, whereas being wholly asymmetrical is too edgy for me.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I don't want to derail you, but I think the delicate color of your FCDs may get lost in some of these settings. A lot of the styles posted here seem to focus on the design and use all white diamonds, or flatter stones that have a high contrast in color or texture. For example, some of the stones use the backdrop of clear stones (diamonds) to contrast with saturated stones (amethysts, emeralds, rubies). The last few examples show the contrast of diamonds with pearls.

I'm not saying that it would never work with your stones, just that it might require more thought into the design than for high-contrasting stones to make the color of your stones pop. It would be disappointing if the uniqueness of your stones were lost because of the intricate design.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmm

7e091be5b494a87f3e6e0129abcb4786.jpg

ladies_diamond_ring_32.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good point, Pregcurious.

Freke, I did see those designs but it didn't work out for me when I played around with them using the different mixture of shape that I have. This is so hard. :knockout:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Here's another tiara ring. I considered this in another thread for a blue sapphire pear. I think you've seen it before.

tiararing.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This could work because it's not overly elongated. Let me do a bit of cut and paste.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Of all the designs that have been posted, I think you were onto something with this one. This design highlights the color of the pear with the halo, and the color of the center round stone by placing 3 diamonds around it. Have you considered not using all your FCDs and just using 2 for this ring? The yellow pear and pink oval could work. You could make the 2 round pinks into earrings, bezeled in pink gold, with white diamond/white metal halos. I would put them on leverbacks and wear the ring and earrings together.

art_nouveau_jewelry_1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty but plain. :tongue:

Yes, I don't mind using only the pink oval and yellow pear but without other bling in the ring, I'm worried it'll look blah. The challenge is to make it look nice without any additional diamond melees.

plain_tiara.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
This is hard. I wish that someone would offer the service of wax models in silver and gold colored waxes so that we could try different settings with our stones. I would be willing to pay $200 just a for a wax model to save the cost of spending $2000 on a setting I didn't like. If the $200 could be applied to the cost of a ring, that would be a deal.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
The blobby ones on the bottom left corner are revisiting the acanthus leaf idea from Starzin from closer to the top of this page. I'd bezel the pear on that one instead of adding the extra leafy stuff leftover from the CADs.

Obviously these are very rough and not to scale.

sketch_for_chrono.jpg

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OK........I'm still back with the ribbon effect and honestly don't know if this is already a 'goner'......but here's my thoughts IF the file attaches. I'll post comments once I know it posted........... :wall:

mock_up.png

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I guess a diamone is equivalent to a dia-moan...........LOL! It posted pretty well along with the typo's. The shank diameter is decidable and thus nothing is to scale, but the rough idea is there. I know this is a reincarnation, but this is really about what each of us see's and Chrono can decide if anything fits.........so there you go! My contribution unless there is something confusing that I don't see.......after all it's still reverberating in my noggin..............

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1405710668|3716034 said:
The blobby ones on the bottom left corner are revisiting the acanthus leaf idea from Starzin from closer to the top of this page. I'd bezel the pear on that one instead of adding the extra leafy stuff leftover from the CADs.

I really like the one at the very bottom.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
have you looked at some of lalique's antique jewelry for inspiration? Great art nouveau design

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
innerkitten|1405715084|3716089 said:
FrekeChild|1405710668|3716034 said:

So do I. In fact I like all three versions of the scrolls that Freke has drawn - with the addition maybe of a buttercup for the oval.
Well done everyone, it's great to see some other ideas.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1405708189|3716003 said:
Pretty but plain. :tongue:

I like Preg's find too - you could maybe ask the cad designer to work engraved leaves into the shank and see what they come up with.

Do you know any artists Chrono who could do a few sketches to give a more realistic look to a couple of ideas?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
So where are we up to? Sorry I had to leave, business called. Anything you want a mockup of or have you gone off the boil again ;))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1405709127|3716013 said:
This is hard. I wish that someone would offer the service of wax models in silver and gold colored waxes so that we could try different settings with our stones. I would be willing to pay $200 just a for a wax model to save the cost of spending $2000 on a setting I didn't like. If the $200 could be applied to the cost of a ring, that would be a deal.

The designer did offer but I'm too chicken to accept it, but the wax is the typical green stuff. The wax will also not have any engraving or such details. My contract includes the cost of a wax model once the design is finalized.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
innerkitten|1405715084|3716089 said:
I'll have to draw it to scale to see whether the effect remains the same. Having accurate measurements seem to either make or break the design. Isn't that one actually very similar to this that I did a mockup for earlier, based on a ring Preg found?

plain.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1406278424|3720363 said:
So where are we up to? Sorry I had to leave, business called. Anything you want a mockup of or have you gone off the boil again ;))

Nothing happening, except playing the waiting game for another CAD revision based on the latest 3 designs, the pearl tiara, the diamond tiara and the ribbon pear rings.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Oh okay... another cad ! Fingers crossed for this cad designer then :))

Except now I'm a bit confused would you mind posting what you have named the "pearl tiara, the diamond tiara and the ribbon pear rings" please :bigsmile: I no longer know what we're calling what!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results