shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite CS Setters?

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I realize I could search and get lots of results, but who are your favorite setters/metal smiths?

I can't seem to find a jeweler in my area (MN) that I find both reasonable and competent (enough that I trust having them work on some very valuable/sentimental colored gems). I have a few CS projects where I will need settings resized (both gold and plat) and colored gems set (tourms mostly) , so I'm looking for your suggestions. I'll send my stuff anywhere if the jeweler is good!

I've used Quest a few times now, but I am looking more for someone who maybe specializes in CS vs diamonds. ??

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
K9, same problem here. Unless a setter has plenty of experience with CS, I'm not gonna risk stones. Haven't found one around here yet.

I just discovered a jeweler nearby who does pieces with lots of varied CS & will set outside stones, according to their website. I'm going over there tomorrow to check them out & will take a few stones to see what they offer. If they seem competent, will try them & definitely share the info here if they work out well. Prices seem very reasonable on their site.

I'd welcome suggestions other people have too!!

--- Laurie

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Laurie - Glad I'm not the only one with this issue! It's so frustrating!!! I have done a few "test" things nearby that were not of high value, but I am left unimpressed overall by my local talent. :((

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Did you mean MD (Maryland)?

Quest also works in colored stones. The last time I was in their store, they had 2 rings they made made in-house that were for sale. One had a rubellite garnet, and the other had a blue stone (I don't remember what it was.) The rubellite ring is still on their website here: http://www.questfinejewelers.com/index.php?page=gifts

Did Quest set the stone in your avatar?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
K9|1327698150|3113298 said:
Yes, I realize I could search and get lots of results, but who are your favorite setters/metal smiths?

I can't seem to find a jeweler in my area (MN) that I find both reasonable and competent (enough that I trust having them work on some very valuable/sentimental colored gems). I have a few CS projects where I will need settings resized (both gold and plat) and colored gems set (tourms mostly) , so I'm looking for your suggestions. I'll send my stuff anywhere if the jeweler is good!

I've used Quest a few times now, but I am looking more for someone who maybe specializes in CS vs diamonds. ??
K9 - Are you in the Twin Cities area? I have used G Allan in downtown Mpls for years on my colored stone projects. Gary has recently closed the showroom, but he is keeping his benches and will continue to do setting work. Prices are reasonable as well.

Here is a custom piece that I worked with G Allan on. This is my version of a famous bracelet worn by Diana, Princess of Wales. The aquamarine was cut by Mastercut Gems, I sourced the sterling clasp (Bali style), and the jeweler fabricated the sterling setting for the aqua. They also ordered the pearls and had them strung. I am pleased with the results.

Diana Bracelet from G Allan.jpg

K9

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious - Nope, I meant MN (Minnesota). I have sent a few diamond projects to Quest and have been quite pleased. The tourm in my avatar was done by them and I'm very pleased with it. Just was hoping to find someone that specializes in CS.

flygirl - Yup - Twin Cities! Thanks for the tip on G Allen... I've not tried him. I feel like I've tried just about everywhere else. Why does it seem that simple sizing is a million dollars too??

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love David Klass (Klass Jewelers on Ebay) and Amcor designs to set my colored stones. I have used local jewelers and ended up with three chipped stones. I am very grateful that David Klass sets customer stones and wants them to be perfect when you receive them. Most jewelers will not accept that liability.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, K9. I thought my memory was going. I recognized your ring as a "Quest" ring, but then couldn't figure out why you were in Minnesota. I live in Maryland and drive to Quest :)

I found a jewelry studio the other day in Minnesota that does diamond and CS custom jewelry. Their stuff is modern, and really beautiful:
http://www.svstudio.com/svd.html

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Believe me, I feel your pain. The bench shops I tried in Boston were abysmal, but I ended up finding incredible bench guys in NYC.

I hike down there 4-5 times a year now with setting projects .....because they're capable of this!!!!!!!!!!! (Chrome tourmaline by Roger Dery).

I'll wait months if I have to, but I don't let anyone else touch my jewelry now. It's worth the trip.

IMG_0989.JPG

K9

Brilliant_Rock
LisaRN - I'll check out Klass, thanks! Too bad that you've ended up with chipped stones - that's just the reason why I've been holding out on a few of these projects.

pregcurious - No worries. I probably should have been more clear that I sent my stuff to Quest. I have no reason NOT to use them for these next few projects, as I've been really happy with all 3 projects that I've sent their way. I guess I just assumed they're not primarily CS so thought I'd see who else was out there (I like having options) ;))

alj - your chrome tourm is fabulously set! LOVE the claw prongs! I don't blame you one bit for making the drive a few times/year. That must be a really fun day. :appl:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
If anyone in Philly is reading this thread, I can recommend some excellent stone setters on Jeweler's Row:
-FGS gems (they cut and sell gems too) - http://www.fgsgems.com/fgsgems/
-Jean Manazer (used to set stones for Tiffany, now a tiny one-man operation in the big building at 8th and Sansom) - http://www.yellowpages.com/philadelphia-pa/mip/manazer-jean-7737056
-The Gem Mine (used by a friend, not myself, but with rave reviews) - http://www.yelp.com/biz/gem-mine-jewelry-co-philadelphia

Otherwise, I've sent stones and stock settings to Daniel M on etsy, because I trust his prong work and he's never damaged any of my stones. I don't have any local people who are both cheap and trustworthy. I used to go to a local guy in the Bay Area, but I lost faith him him after he set a stone very obviously crookedly.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
This is excellent feedback jstarfireb. I am open to mailing my stuff away so all recommendations are welcome - thank you!

SueW

Rough_Rock
aljdewey|1327732311|3113669 said:
Believe me, I feel your pain. The bench shops I tried in Boston were abysmal, but I ended up finding incredible bench guys in NYC.

I hike down there 4-5 times a year now with setting projects .....because they're capable of this!!!!!!!!!!! (Chrome tourmaline by Roger Dery).

I'll wait months if I have to, but I don't let anyone else touch my jewelry now. It's worth the trip.

I'd love to know who you use here in NYC too, if you don't mind!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results