shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite colored stones in literature

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
What gems in literature might have inspired your love of colored stones? Here's my favorite, from "Busman's Honeymoon," by Dorothy L. Sayers. The noble detective Lord Peter Wimsey finally takes a wife, Harriet Vane, after waiting for her decision for half a decade. In an excerpt from her sympathetic mother-in-law's diary, her unsympathetic sister-in-law reacts:

"15 September.—Harriet came round this morning to show me her ring—big solitaire ruby—old Abrahams had it cut and set specially to instructions. Poor H. laughed at herself, because when Peter gave it to her yesterday she was looking at him and ten minutes afterwards, when challenged, couldn't even tell him the colour of the stone. Said she was afraid she never would learn to behave like other people, but Peter had only said it was the first time his features had ever been prized above rubies. Peter joined us at lunch—also Helen, who demanded to see the ring, and said sharply, "Good Heavens! I hope it's insured." To do her justice, I can't see that she could have found anything nastier to say if she'd thought it out with both hands for a fortnight. "

There are further descriptions later in the book.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results