shape
carat
color
clarity

Fair price for a spess garnet?

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
While wandering through an antique store today I spotted a case full of loose gems. Most were average topaz, aqua and such, but a bright orange pear caught my eye. I'm not in the market for a spess, but it was a beautiful bright pure orange and really stood out. 1.09ct and a good cut (probably native but no window). The price marked was $75. I've looked around the vendors some, but spess prices seem to be all over. Should I run back and snatch it up, or leave it be?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If the colour is good, it sounds like a good deal, even if it isn't a particularly clean stone. The Loliondo stones are particularly prone to having sugar inclusions.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
It looked pretty darn clean, and about the same color as your avatar Elvis Prasiolite. There was maybe a slight hint of brown, no red or yellow. Not sure if it's a correct conclusion, but all the little boxes and most of the jewelry in the booth looked like things from JTV. Not the best source for gems (at all), but it looked like someone that bought up tons of stuff years ago and was trying to clean out their collection. It's a locked glass case at an antique mall with hundreds of booths, so no one to ask where it came from.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I find it hard to believe anyone would be selling a very good vivid orange spess for $75.
but if so, it is indeed a bargain even if "native cut".
unless you have it tested you won't know for sure if it really is a spess.....and admittedly I wouldn't pay to have a $75 stone go to an appraiser unless, of course, I was planning to re-sell it.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, maybe I'll go back tomorrow and have a better look. I'll take the loupe and check for inclusions and see if I can get it over in the sunlight too.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think $75 is a good price if its really vivid orange. Most of the material on the market these days has a brownish cast.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
If it looks like spess to you, I would take a gamble on it. Do they have a return policy if it doesn't end up being a spess? Do you like near GIA or AGL so that you could get a report without paying for shipping there and back? The $60 for a GemBrief would be worth it.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Spessartine is " heavier" than many other gems - so a 1,09 ct looks a bit smaller than a hessonite with the same weight.

Do you have a stronger magnet??? Neodym.

google magnetism gemstones - Kirk Feral has a very interesting homepage esp. on garnets.

The "tool" is quite easy - a screw and a neodym magnet - only a few dollar.

Many garnet show a strong reaction - citrine or zircon don't.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like it and $75 isn't a stretch for you, I would risk it. Good spessartite is incredibly difficult to find these days, and the price has also increased significantly.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I went back today and the little guy followed me home. It's 1.05ct and about 7mm by 5mm. I can see a few small silk-like inclusions with the naked eye, but overall its very clean. Stays orange in all the different lighting I could find around the house too. There is a small window but it closes when I put it on my hand, so I'm hopeful it'll be gone when set. I got a few pictures, some show dark spots from my black camera.

dscn2865.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Great buy. You never know where you'll find something worth picking up, do you? Cool day for you!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice stone, and good deal. Enjoy!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is well worth it! :appl:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
more than worth it.
it has better color than one than a pear that was offered to me for $2500 prior to my buying my spess.....and less windowed as well.
congrats!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the input! Now I want to go back and have a better look at what else was in that case. There was a beautiful emerald, but it was priced over $400 and didn't have a cert.

I might set this in silver for now so I can wear it some and get to know it before investing in a better setting. It may even make it's way to my sister, she LOVES orange.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You got a good deal! Some dealers buy rings for the settings and think of the stones if not diamonds as throw away. Good for you!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'm not a fan of resetting color stones: too easy to damage the stone.
also, not all silver smiths do good work with faceted stones.
just food for thought when you decide on a benchmaker.

FireMonkey

Shiny_Rock
What a fantastic shade of orange! :love: Sounds like you scored s great deal, too! :clap:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I love the colour and shape. I think it was a great buy, I've seen spess go for wayyy more.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I hope it is what it's supposed to be as well. It does have very natural looking inclusions (which is why I did take the leap and buy it). I'll take it to my jeweler the next time I go, he collects gemstones too and should be able to help ID it.

I need to get a pic of the bottom of the box it came in, the lable appears to be what I would normally see at a gem show, including a SKU number.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
by ElvisPrasiolite » 12 Aug 2014 14:22
Don't mean to try & to be a killjoy, & I do hope that's a real Spess, but before you buy anything else, have a certified gemologist look at it, & determine, if it is a spessartite. Antique dealers are notorious for not knowing what their selling in gemstones. Just a word of caution. I hope it is everything that you want! Truly I do!

------

What do you think it could be?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MustangGal|1407781610|3730306 said:
I went back today and the little guy followed me home. It's 1.05ct and about 7mm by 5mm. I can see a few small silk-like inclusions with the naked eye, but overall its very clean. Stays orange in all the different lighting I could find around the house too. There is a small window but it closes when I put it on my hand, so I'm hopeful it'll be gone when set. I got a few pictures, some show dark spots from my black camera.

Some spess do have silk.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ElvisPrasiolite|1407898668|3731279 said:
All I'm saying Marlow, is before buying more, make sure the stone is what it is represented as. There are many orange stones, stimulants, there is no need to go into them all. It is probably a real Spess, but I play the Devil's Advocate. Sounds like the stone is going to be ID'd anyway. I'm rooting for the Spess :)

Jim McCormick

Well, there's citrine too, but it's typically not very orange without any brown, and it doesn't have silk. There's also fire opal. There's also synthetic orange sapphire, but its usually very clean. Not sure what other simulants there are. I've seen spess prices all over the place. I don't think $75 for a one carat orange spessartite is a shocker, but it's a good deal.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
TL and Jim

I agree with you - I would add clinohumite - super orange color too.

But.... I know I am a pain in....

http://www.sunlin-group.com/gemological-instrument-polariscope-refractometer_c55.html

A refractometer (156), a polariscope (64) and a dichroscope (35) for $ 255 !!! Is it really necessary to send a $75 gem to a lab?

On GO are super tutorial videos. Sure you will have a lot of fun with your gems - and save money!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1407904678|3731326 said:
I would add clinohumite - super orange color too.

Well $75 for a 1ct clinohumite is a good price too.

I forgot to mention hessonite garnet, but they're typically more brownish.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Yes - 75 for a clinohumite would be very good!!! The color is awesome!! But to soft for a ring.

I purchased a lot with 7 gems from Pakistan - 20 EUR total!! - one goodie and six stones with top color but bad cuts - I will let them recut into rounds or ovals around 0,30 ct each - pairs for earrings maybe.

http://www.gemdat.org/gem-1077.html

Hessonite - you are right - I found a custom cut round in a show - the color was VERY close to a good spessartine - a tiny little bit brown but excellent color! But not the top color for spessartine. 50 EUR for 1+ct stone - at home RI was in the grossular range but with this color
a perfect gem for my garnet collection!!! This material is from east africa.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Supposing it is a citrine or hessonite, that particular orange colour would be incredibly rare and still make it well worth the $75 spent to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results