shape
carat
color
clarity

Excellent Article on "Padparadscha"

alisonia333

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for posting this! It's very interesting, and I like the depth in which the author talks about the cultural origins of both the word and the color it describes. From my wallet's point of view, the narrower they make the definition of padparadscha, the better, because I could get gorgeous peachy colored stones without paying pad prices! :lol:

Edited for grammar!

smurfett_333

Rough_Rock
So much to digest!!! I think I will have to read it several times to truly feel as though I get just some if it..... :???: Really really interesting though, thank you for sharing!! I am trying not to get discouraged on my hunt for the perfect pad colored sapphire or spinel especially after reading this that article that confirms that I indeed do absolutely love the pad colors :(

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The range of pads is much darker than I thought. Interesting. This is much more complicated than pigeon blood red (red with purple modifier), or stoplight red (I've looked at different stop lights in my town, and there are 2 different colors).

Good thing I don't have any interest in pads. I just like peach.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1361715266|3389186 said:
The range of pads is much darker than I thought. Interesting. This is much more complicated than pigeon blood red (red with purple modifier), or stoplight red (I've looked at different stop lights in my town, and there are 2 different colors).

Good thing I don't have any interest in pads. I just like peach.

I know, kinda surprising, huh? And so arbitrary in what they call the "scalpel" approach. Notice how there was no perfect overlap color-wise in any of the experts.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Its all good to know. It sort of brings us up to date on the question of pastel stones vs darker ones. Funny I like the lighter ones. Do you see brown in those vivid ones? Is brown back in style? Really good read. Thanks

Annette

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like the name is no longer limited to the darker or more richly coloured orange pinks. I've always preferred a stronger saturated orange pink regardless of the name so does this mean such stones will be now be priced even higher because they can be called padparadscha?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My assumption is that the category, based on the direction that article implies, will only expand over time. If one wanted to gamble, there are a few details in the article that could be used as a guide in choosing sapphires outside the current definition due to color.

Annette: there can be no brown to be considered a padparadscha. As you can see from the charts of color as selected by the various authorities on the committee, no brown is being proposed either. Color is so complicated!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1361840243|3390397 said:
Looks like the name is no longer limited to the darker or more richly coloured orange pinks. I've always preferred a stronger saturated orange pink regardless of the name so does this mean such stones will be now be priced even higher because they can be called padparadscha?

I know your question is rhetorical, but to answer it anyway, it hasn't happened yet. That said, it sure seems like it will sooner rather than later, doesn't it? I would imagine that anyone who has read the article may draw the same conclusion.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
thanks for the link- interesting reading! :read:

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
What I found most interesting was that the panel of experts all had different opinions on what they considered Padparadasha to be..(where each circled what they believed to be Pad)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The padparadscha topic has been one of discussion for many years and what is and isn't considered a padparadscha continues to change. This is definitely one of the more difficult stones to buy because whether it falls into that range or not has a huge impact on pricing.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I love the soft pastel pink with peachy orange. Wish I could find one before it definitely gets labeled as a pad!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results