shape
carat
color
clarity

Ever heard of a hot pink sapphire cab?

S

SparkliesLuver

Hello, everyone! :wavey: I need your expert opinions, please.

I came across a hot pink sapphire cab and I instantly wanted to know more. Is it real? Have you ever seen such a thing? I have not, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. ha It almost looks mahenge-like with that color. I asked for more pictures, but the vendor said their photographer is on vacation and they don't usually take hand shots (or the like). Hm. So this is all I've got.

He says the cab is translucent, but it does have a few small flaws which you can't see in the photo; however, those flaws help identify that it's a sapphire. No certs. He said he got it from his dealer in Kashmir from a very small find around the area. The price isn't what I'd call cheap, and I haven't heard of the vendor. Although I'd rather not say who it is, if that would help the case then I will.

My BS radar is kind of going off, but I'm also intrigued. I'd appreciate your help! Thank you. :D

sapcab.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, I am intrigued. It looks beautiful based on this one single pic. And that's what's also sets my alarm of (what is a BS alarm by the way?). Can't the guy just make some iPhone pics with the stone on the back of his hand? IPhone pics are sometimes even more reliable compared to studio photographs with "just the right" lighting. Especially since the stone is not cheap AND there is no cert, I would ask again for photo's and a sound return option.

Hopefully the experts will chime in soon. I am curious to learn more. Do you consider buying it for a new project? It seems to be ban breaking beautiful. But why take only one pic, showing only one view in a specific type of light :read: :confused:

S

SparkliesLuver

Hey, Acinom. Thanks for popping in! It does look beautiful! A "bs" alarm is a curse word (bull****). :lol: Probably an American thing!

I don't know. I would have thought so. I asked for the depth since it wasn't stated online. If/when he responds, I'm going to ask him if he could do that. Even one more picture could be very helpful!

It does seem to be worth breaking the ban over, so we'll see.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whahaha :naughty: I like that alarm.
Crossing fingers for additional great info and pics. I think disco lights were used for this one.

S

SparkliesLuver

haha :)

Thank you. Me too! haha They very well could have been.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can get something that is technically a sapphire but almost a ruby this colour from that region. The issue would be if it has been glass filled or how it has been treated without a certificate we cannot tell. I would at least ask for a more accurate back of hand photo or photos and a return policy so you can get it checked out at a reliable lab.

S

SparkliesLuver

That was one of my main concerns, arkieb1 - is this color even possible in that region. Good to know. Yes, the other main concern is the treatment. He said it's untreated, but I'd definitely send this to AGL (if I decided to purchase it). He has a good return policy, but I'd really, really like at least one clear photo before making a decision.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like its got a lot of light on it, so you're right to be suspicious. However, see what the return policy is. Along with everyone else, if its an expensive stone, for sure get it checked out.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thanks, Arcadian. :) I did tell the vendor I'd need a clear picture before making a decision, so it's in his hands now.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be extremely suspect that it has been invasively treated to achieve that color, unfortunately.

S

SparkliesLuver

:lol: I am, minous. He said he would try to take a picture for me, so we'll see how that turns out. I also asked more questions about treatment since the site says natural...and we all know what that can mean!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there,
Just to throw in my 2 cents here. I bought a pink/red sapphire cab from Ebay a few months ago and wasn't sure what to expect, but didn't pay enough to worry too much about it. Just for reference I posted vendor pic and my own terrible phone pic next to it. There are inclusions, but they were stated upfront. Mine was also advertised as not filled or diffused (heat only). So I'm not 100% sure mine is a sapphire, but just wanted to say I've heard of it before, and am happy enough with mine to set it :) You can't really tell from my pic, but it is a very nice pink color and was worth what I paid. But obviously I wouldn't pay a large amount of you aren't 100% sure of it. Hope this helps!

20150718_195703.jpg

15b864a.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Thanks for chiming in with your story, lovedogs. I appreciate it! It's good to know something similar exists out there. I am anxious to see what he comes back with. I'll keep everyone updated!

S

SparkliesLuver

Here's a better picture from the vendor. I'm still not sure. Does it look like there's stuff floating around in there, as opposed to more of a solid color? Or maybe it's just me? I look forward to hearing what others think. Also, he said it's 100% untreated.

_32840.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the bit underneath you can see is where it is stuck to a sweaty finger. I dunno it looks like what I have seen coming from Africa marketed as Ruby cabs these are usually glass filled and heavily messed with but I guess it could be an exception. I usually think of pink sapphire cabs as a paler pink or with more purple or just less perfect to look at than this one is, it's almost too perfect and the colour doesn't seem quite right, if that makes sense, but it is impossible to tell for sure without seeing it in person or having a proper certificate.

It is from a reliable vendor?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks unnatural, which could mean highly treated or very special in real life. Did he send only one pic again :nono:
I would only take the risk if the vendor has a no nonsense return policy and if you have enough time to have it checked. Is the vendor a trusted PS vendor and could he perhaps send it to AGL cor you?

S

SparkliesLuver

Ah, you're probably right, arkieb1. It does almost seem too perfect and the color doesn't appear quite right - yep, it makes total sense. I haven't heard of the vendor before.

It kinda does, Acinom, you're right. haha Yep, he only sent one picture.

Based on these things, plus my gut feeling, I don't think it's worth proceeding. The cost is nearly $2k, it's a vendor I haven't heard of before, and things seem too perfect. If someone else is interested and wants to take the chance, I'd be happy to share the vendor.

Thank you, everyone! Back to focusing on my paraiba ring. :D

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brad had a nice looking pink Sapphire cab a few months ago and it was no where near that expensive...

S

SparkliesLuver

Oh, did he? Good to know. My curiosity was peaked on this one, but things just didn't seem to add up. Who knows.

S

SparkliesLuver

I responded to the vendor, thanked him for his help, expressed my concerns and overall said I was going to pass. He responded (with below), and now I'm not too sure what to say, if anything. :confused:

?????? OK – no problem – I am curious though ? What does not seem right ??? I’ve been in this business for 45 years FULL TIME – on the Internet for 20 years(since 1995) and an A+ rated member of the BBB since 2008 ---- I only buy and sell top quality / top color gems (I’m very selective) ----- The stone you picked (because of the intense pink color) would sell for over $20,000 if it was cleaner and sell for over $200,000 if it was transparent instead of translucent –It is an incredible ‘buy’ PS: If it’s the color that is bothering you – I agree – it looks almost TOO NICE !

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SL: hmm, he complicated things a bit there with such a response, eh? :lol: My thinking on the stone is that while its an awesome color, do you really want to pay that hefty a price tag for an opaque stone? I guess I don't see the appeal, but then again, I am not one to go after super sleepy stones for the same reason. While I love color, I love a little scintillation and sparkle as well...

S

SparkliesLuver

haha Yep, I'd say he did, minous.

You're right. It's an expensive translucent (as he says) cab, even if it is a hot pink sapphire. And I agree with your scintillation and sparkle comment. Maybe one day I'll find a cab I love, or perhaps they're just not my thing.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Sparklies! You probably aren't looking for a pink sapphire cab anymore, but I came across one from one of the eBay vendors on the trusted list. It certainly has inclusions, but I think it's beautiful anyway. Just wanted to post a link in case you are interested :) Plus the starting bid is quite low, so it wouldn't be a super high risk thing to gamble on.

Just wanted to post in case you might be interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-61ct-Good-Cabochon-Natural-Pink-Sapphire-/331642974048?hash=item4d37762f60

S

SparkliesLuver

Although I'm not looking for one anymore, I couldn't be more touched, lovedogs, that you found this and took the time to post it. Thank you so, so much - that's really sweet of you. Hopefully I can soon explain why I'm no longer looking for something of this color. :Up_to_something:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1441712532|3924892 said:
Although I'm not looking for one anymore, I couldn't be more touched, lovedogs, that you found this and took the time to post it. Thank you so, so much - that's really sweet of you. Hopefully I can soon explain why I'm no longer looking for something of this color. :Up_to_something:

aww, no problem! Was window shopping eBay and came across it and thought of you :) ooooh I'm excited to see/hear about your bright pink secret plans!

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you again. :) Hopefully tomorrow I can share; just waiting on the initial invoice, so I can pay it and know it's a done deal. :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results