shape
carat
color
clarity

Eventually want to get a lighter blue sapphire

iolitedreamer

Rough_Rock
HI. I am new here. I have been perusing the site getting information on sapphires and scouring the web as well. Eventually, I am hoping to be able to purchase a sapphire to possibly be made into a ring at a later date. I am on a very limited budget. I personally like the lighter blue colored sapphires that almost have a periwinkle or violet blue. I don't think I want a darker blue sapphire. I would either like something in an emerald, princess, or round cut and I know they are a bit harder to find. Perhaps I am weird, but I do not mind some inclusions so long as they look nice in the stone. There are so many things to consider. When I am ready to buy the right stone, I want to make sure I am making the right decision. I would like to avoid beryllium diffusion at all costs and I am hoping I will be able to find what I am looking for. If you have any advice, I wouldn't mind hearing it one bit :D

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to pry, but can I ask the ballpark of the budget?

Light blue sapphire's are pretty affordable, you can peruse the site's listed on the top of the forum to see what's available.

iolitedreamer

Rough_Rock
Well, I know this sounds pretty low, and I am not expecting to find a perfect dark blue or even brilliant blue stone, but I was hoping around $200 or so. I have seen some so far on certain sites that do fall in that range, but who knows by the time I actually get to buy one lol. I plan on getting it set in silver by someone who makes custom jewelry. I love all colored gemstones, even blue spinel. I would even consider a spinel if I could find the right one. Looking at all the stones and rings on here makes me go =) Thank you

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
Is there a certain size range (in millimeters) that you're looking for? If 4-5.5mm range is acceptable, you can check out Bob Kast. Here's a link to his website: http://bobkast.com/ Click on the link 'stones for sale' at the bottom of the page and it will link you to some of the stones he has available. I know he has some medium to medium-dark blue ones in the 4-5mm size range.

Another website to check out would be Dan Stair's: http://www.customgemstones.com/SAPPHIRE/Sapphire.htm

I know everyone's probably tired of hearing about my sapphire I recently purchased (it's the pic in my avatar) but you could message the seller on Etsy I bought it from and ask him if he has anymore similar colored sapphires: http://www.etsy.com/shop/GemCutters

His sister, Jane, also sets his stones here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/janeysjewels

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're against potential beryllium treatment, I would go with a spinel, as you won't require a lab report indicating the presence of no heat, or no foreign elements. If it's heated, it would have to be tested for foreign elements (ie beryllium).

Gemburionline
Odysseygem

are ebay stores that can provide lab reports at an additional fee, and they seem to be low cost for smaller unheated sapphires. However, you have to go with the more expensive lab reports if you're looking at heated stones, that also test for no beryllium. Only very few labs have the equipment to test for that. I personally don't think it's worth it to get a small heated sapphire, as you have to spend a lot extra to get it tested. If I were you, I would search his listings for small unheated sapphires, and get a memo indicating no heat, or look at light blue spinels. However, it's hard to find lighter toned blue spinels. Barry Bridgestock of acstones sometimes gets them in, but they sell quick. You could also check the lists of recommended vendors specified at the top of this forum.

If treatment is important to you, I wouldn't buy a sapphire without a reputable lab memo/report. I don't care who it's from.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
There are good Montana sapphires out there that are a light blue and often quite reasonable. Some Montanas come with a bit of blue green color or a "steely" blue appearance, but not all. Try Dan Stair as he often posts lighter colored stones. www.customgemstones.com

iolitedreamer

Rough_Rock
Wow thank you every one of you for the help. I am hoping to really start looking in approximately one month. That is why I have started researching here. I have made a list with the suggestions you guys have given. I am not really sure about what size I am looking into because I have nothing to compare it to except some small stones. I happen to like some of the simple bezel set designs I have seen on etsy. I have hope that when I see the right stone, I will know it...within my range of course. I have some stones already here just sitting around here. I have some tiny spinels and some I believe are about .25-.33 carats each. They are mostly oval and are in pinks, reds, and one a bluish purple. Those seem a bit too small as a single stone. I do not have a millimeter gage. I also have two morganites which I believe were irradiated for color. But, I am not into pink rings :) My fav color is blue and so if I do not end up with a sapphire, perhaps a spinel would fit me perfectly. I just want to be able to find a blue stone. I am not even that picky per-se about the shade of blue in a spinel because the few blue ones I have seen online I liked a lot actually. Well again, I want to say thank you for everything again because I am still in the learning stage.

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
Speaking of Montana sapphires, I know of one that's a fairly good size, 6.96x7.34mm, and a nice light blue, being sold by Michael E. He's another reputable gem cutter and can also set stones (he also posts on this forum from time to time!) I can't link you to the stone directly since it's on a site that I'm not allowed to post (as per forum rules) but Google "Montana sapphire 1.79 carat cushion" and it should be the first search result that comes up. If you're not a member of the site it's on, you can contact him via his contact info on his website: http://www.gemshoppe.com/html/contact_order.html

Another site to consider might be GemSelect.com which is also mentioned in the Site Selling Colored Gemstone and Jewelry thread. I haven't bought from them personally, but they have a large selection of gemstones.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are very unlikely to find an emerald cut or princess cut for a variety of reasons. The natural shape of the corundum rough dictates the final outline of the gem and as all lapidaries try to maximize their rough for cost reasons, you will see mostly ovals and some rounds and cushions. Princess cuts with their pointy corners also gives lapidaries fits in terms of the risk of damage during cutting plus during the setting process so you won’t see many of those.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1300276618|2873071 said:
You are very unlikely to find an emerald cut or princess cut for a variety of reasons. The natural shape of the corundum rough dictates the final outline of the gem and as all lapidaries try to maximize their rough for cost reasons, you will see mostly ovals and some rounds and cushions. Princess cuts with their pointy corners also gives lapidaries fits in terms of the risk of damage during cutting plus during the setting process so you won’t see many of those.

Doug at Bespoke has a light blue sapphire.

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1300276618|2873071 said:

It's true that I haven't seen too many princess or emerald cut sapphires. I have seen a few though. Here is one from MasterCutGems (it's a color shifter): http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=5236 And there is this baguette one from GemRite: http://www.gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=71

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results