shape
carat
color
clarity

Estate emerald rings. Opinions??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

doodlebug

Rough_Rock
Hello, I am in the process of deciding which of the rings to purchase. Both are eye clean and priced the same. The smaller emerald is 1.21 tcw, set in ten grams of platinum with two small accenting diamonds. The larger pear shaped emerald is 2.98 tcw, set in yellow gold and accented with 1 carat of diamonds. Both are lovely, just seeking some ideas or opinions. Thanks! Doodle

doodlebug2.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking at pictures might not be a "legitimate" way to choose... Since there''s not much of an alternative though, perhaps one must try.
The square seems to have allot better color. Also, the diamonds in the per ring do not look very bright. It may be that they are not very good quality, or the picture is not great or both.
Any chance for a side-by-side picture of these two ?

doodlebug

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply, I will approach the jeweler and see if he would picture the two side by side. The only reason I was interested in the pear was to have it set in a pearl enhancer as it is my husbands birthstone. The price seems right for the two different styles as they are both well
under 1500.00. I''m torn because I truly don''t need another ring but do like the smaller ones color. So, I may need to keep looking and see if I can find a large size stone for a pendent in that prrice range.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fine green pear around 1k might not be emerald ...

b_xgg145ad.jpg
b_XGG145ak.jpg
b_XGG145ag.jpg

These are tsavorite garnet, about 2 carats each, priced from about $600 to about $800. I am not sure what the rules for birthstones are, but the Indian version allows for substitutes based on color. If only emerals would look this nice for the money...
20.gif

The longer one would probably be my choice, for what that matters
5.gif

doodlebug

Rough_Rock
Thanks Valeria, I always read your posts and value your opinions and suggestions. My heart is set on an Emerald!
21.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
You can''t always rely on the pictures on a computer screen, as the color is never really accurate, but the first one doesn''t seem to be emerald, as much as green beryl. The difference between Emerald Beryl and Green Beryl is the color. Emeralds are considered a bluish green, whereas green beryl is yellowish green. Very fine line sometimes, but it makes a major difference in price.

I suggest getting them both verified by a gemologist or appraiser to see which one is the better deal or if they are both emeralds. Just because it''s green doesn''t mean it''s emerald. If you like the green of the first one and you won''t be selling it, then I say go for it, but know that if it isn''t an emerald, you shouldn''t be paying for an emerald...

Good luck and they are both lovely... I wish you could have them BOTH!
emteeth.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2005 6:17:47 PM
Author: doodlebug
Thanks Valeria, I always read your posts and value your opinions and suggestions. My heart is set on an Emerald!
Thanks
2.gif
for some reason these greens have certain magic power on me
9.gif

Nicrez is right. It may not be feasible to detect where exactly emerald starts and "green beryl" ends on a photo, but that piece needs a bit of excuse to be called "emerald" - perhaps so from an overly technical point of vew. It could be that the picture is really bad - but that bed?
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results