shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring Hunt

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock
Before Pricescope, I thought all stones were created equal. :lol: There’s only so much that can be done with a diamond or other gemstones, right? After all, the common stores in malls and antique stores had pretty much the same styles and quality… even the high-end retailors.
Wow, was I wrong.
Making a long story short.
Mindblown. :errrr:
Read, consume many threads and archives, and locate perfect diamond after a couple of months. Get Wink and other CZ’s in various shapes. Finally ready to make a visit to GOG… show picture casually to SO, think everything is all set. Turns out, colored stone sounds like preferred/non-traditional route. Whoops, should’ve asked. :oops:
Discover Colored Stone forum.
Introduced to Precision Faceting. :shock:
Mindblown again.
All I want to do is get her a stone as beautiful as her (it's impossible).
Again, so much more to learn. Get shown preferred colors of Pink, Purple, Green, and Blue. Notice preference for pastel’s and non-rounds, then some other more saturated bluish/purple tone. Try to get some stones from new posts and drops, experience the PriceScope rush. Takes many tries. Able to grab a couple beautiful treasures. :D Stumble over a couple from DB and LT. Awesome, right track! Find preferred vendors list, Ordered from Brad, Gene, Matt, Jeff, Peter, Gary, Barry, Jerry, Dana, etc. It’s been a journey. Learn about how to set stones, find good color stone setter. Thought about just designing one corundum… realize that some people have more than one set, perfect solution. Design a ring for potential proposal, life events happen, delayed. Design again, more events, rinse and repeat. Have to travel, sigh. Completely understanding and amazing young woman. Hopefully this beginner is now all set. Going back to the community that inspired it all. How’d I do - Would you say yes?

Photos have not been edited.
bluepurple.jpgcolorshifter1.jpgcolorshifter2.jpgdbspinel_0.jpgpastelgreenblue.jpglightpink.jpg
pink1.jpg
purple1.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You made her seven engagement rings?!

More details about the stones and hand shots please!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, now you're just plain scaring me. Not that they're not lovely though. :))

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
MIND=BLOWN. I think I need more information, if I'm understanding your post you made her a new ring each time your plans got delayed? Did you give her all the rings during the same proposal, or did she keep saying no and you kept getting new rings to try again - because if that would have worked I am jealous that I didn't think of it when my husband proposed :naughty: All gorgeous, and however she ended up with so many engagement rings, she certainly is lucky!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't been this confused since taking algebra in 11th grade... :lol:

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Ha!! I love this post!! I'm not completely clear on things either, but if he's saying what I think he's saying (an engagement ring for every day of the week?) then this is the best post EVER!!!

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
I'm imagining him down on one knee, pulling out an entire jewelry box full of rings from behind his back :) That would be awesome!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
HEY, I'LL MARRY YOU!! :lol: My mind is blown too. Yes, are these her choices among which to pick, or is she the lucky owner of all of them? They are wonderful. I'd say you're a goooood learner.

--- Laurie

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone,

MakingTheGrade: Yup. One for each day of the week (Katharath got it!) . I'll post some details soon.

Minous - Uh oh. Hope I'm not scaring you in a bad way? Don't want to overwhelm anyone, and especially not her when I give them to her. Only hand I had was mine and did take one furry knuckle shot on my pinky. Really doesn't seem very... well. Yup.

Carmen1 - Yes ma'am. I made a new ring each time, started with the color changing sapphire one. When things didn't work out, life sometimes gets in the way, I just put it away and kept on searching. Pretty soon I had a few and came up with the one for every day of the week plan. Each one is special in it's own way, and hopefully at least one will be the right one! I plan on giving them all at the same time. However, I don't want to scare her, like in Minous post above. That would be bad.

Soxfan - Sorry about that. I tried to keep the word count down and thought it made sense in my head but whoops. Hopefully this post will help clarify. I'm just hoping that these rings work.

Carmen1 again - That's an idea! Would be a total surprise. Hi honey, I got you this jewelry box... isn't it beautiful? I'm down on one knee cause it's so heavy. Why don't you open it up... I'd prolly get - wow, what a nice box as a response...

JewelFreak - Thanks Laurie. Was hoping to come up with something that is within Pricescope's standards as well. I hope she becomes the lucky owner of them all, they are for her.

kiwiflea

Rough_Rock
WOW! I have to say that is one unique way to propose, you are setting the bar high! Would love to see a bit more info on the individual rings.

bcavitt

Shiny_Rock
Trade
carmen1|1378400225|3515038 said:
I'm imagining him down on one knee, pulling out an entire jewelry box full of rings from behind his back :) That would be awesome!

That's how MGM studio head Irving Thalberg proposed to Norma Shearer. He called her into his office, whipped out a tray of about 20 engagement rings, and told to pick one.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Felice|1378414255|3515208 said:
WOW! I have to say that is one unique way to propose, you are setting the bar high! Would love to see a bit more info on the individual rings.

Me too! Amazing!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
No no!! Pick me!! no one could love you more than I do.... I adore you!! Really--- fer shur!! :kiss:

RTFrog, you are one AWESOME future fiance!!! you are incredible and your knowledge of CS in such a short time, astounds me!! you chose and created each of this for your lovely future bride--- you, sir, are a KEEPER!! I don't know which one I'd pick!! I would want them ALL!!!

I simply can not wait for the proposal story --- its going to be EPIC... totally EPIC!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Congrats to you - you are my dream man come true - a guy who loves buying and creating rings for his bride... omg... (*I am now grabbing and clutching my heart...)

Bigsandwich

Rough_Rock
This is above and beyond the call lol I tip my hat to you, i can't even imagine the long hours and stress you've put in.

But look at the end result, wowzers.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Each one of these rings is so beautiful and it will be wonderful that she will have so many treasures to choose from everyday!!!! I also love the idea of you opening up a cigar box or jewelry box full of these gorgeous rings...good luck!!!

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
this is so cool - not sure what I would do if my fiancee did this.. also not sure to be happy or not that he's not this way :p

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful rings! I especially love that first stone. So, which cutter cut which stone(s)?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, wow, just wow! RTFrog, I wish I had as much skill as you apparently have when it comes to setting stones. Well done.

Now, was she totally surprised?

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
They're beautiful and what a good photo job. Best wishesa

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Awesome! Most guys don't understand the want for a beautiful engagement ring and suffer through one purchase. You willingly and eagerly had SEVEN of them made? Talk about going above and beyond! :appl:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I love you for your imagination and good taste. I think your lady is going to have a lot of bling in her future. I wish you well. I hope you enjoyed the process.

Please come back and tell us her reaction.

Annette

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Easily the weirdest post I've ever seen in Colored Stones . . . :shock:

But all are very pretty.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
All the rings are beautiful! What are you going to do as far as a wedding band or will there be one for each ring? ;))

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone - thanks for the responses. I appreciate them, and am still working on ways to propose with the lot. Think I found a couple ways, but always open for suggestions :twirl:

Felice - Thanks, I'll post some more individual information when I get back to taking a couple more pictures of them. Hopefully this weekend.

bcavitt - Wow, Irving Thalberg... interesting way of proposing. Did not know that. How about I just say - pick out one... and keep the box?

soxfan - Will post more later when I can. Think I need to retake a couple of shots.

Enerchi - Hehe, I know you only adore me for the shiny things ;)) I picked up a lot of CS knowledge from this forum - reading and saving threads for later. It really was amazing what every has posted and made the journey through. I can tell the passion, joy, and thought that goes into each process. There were so many I wanted to comment on, but figured I should start out with an actual contribution. Now hopefully she says yes... And yes, I truly do enjoy the hunt and love designing these rings and jewelry. It was hard to make final choices, and which stones are still chilling in their boxes.

Bigsandwich - Thank you very much. The beginning was much more stressful, and it got easier. Not that I was worried or anything everytime a stone was being set or what it would look like afterward. Only one stone was a casualty :((

Pandabee - I'm leaning towards one of those. Something small enough to travel with too. The cigar box sounds classic! If only she liked cigars... otherwise I'd prolly get a :confused: look.

JaneSmith - That picture made me smile! A poem hmm...

sonyachancs - As long as you wouldn't slap him, and be happy, I'd be happy.

NKOTB - Thank you! Will post more details later. The first one is from Dana and cut by his friend Dr. Gray Weaver. Phenomenal tanzanite, with a perfect Purple/Blue combination. The stone spoke to me, and I hope to her when I saw it. Since it isn't super hard, that was a major consideration in having other options for daily wear. The setting presented the stone a little different, with small diamonds just providing a little sparkly accent.

minous - Why thank you, means a lot. I appreciate it. I sure hope she will be totally surprised! Fingers crossed.

wordie89 - Thank you - I'll try to add more regular or closer pictures too.

Kelli - I felt like this is one thing that needs to be right and be a complete expression of love and meaning. Each ring helped achieve a slightly different purpose, and was shocked by how stunning how they turned out. By having the different shapes too - I hope she finds a favorite, or something to match the mood/taste for the day. Thank you! :)

smitcompton - Thank you. I sure hope she enjoys them. I really have enjoyed the process, and can truly appreciate a sentimental and beautiful piece of jewelry. I will be glad to share the reaction!

iLander - Colored stones has been a dedicated home for many months, figured it was the best place to share. And well, one might say I'm a bit weird too :lol: . I'm glad you think they are pretty though, thank you :)

MC - Wedding bands? ;)) Guess that will be a future post. Each one has an option or two, and I hope that they will provide a general option. I figured that should also be something that she gets to pick out and something to do together. However... I might have a couple ;-)

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock
I like it. But how could I do each ring separately - wouldn't it give it away? Or just provide clues in a ring box?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results