shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring help

drob20

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

First off, this forum has been invaluable in helping me select a stone. I've only lurked so far but had a question for you all that I hope you can help with.

With the help of my girlfriend's sister, I was able to find out she likes the Princess Diana/Kate Middleton style ring but with a round stone in the center. She is also a purple-aholic so I ended up going with a round cut purple sapphire stone. My search is now on focused on finding the right setting. My questions:

1. If I purchase the setting and bring the setting and stone to a local jeweler, will they be able to set it? Does anyone have an estimated cost? (This I could probably just ask the jeweler about myself, but thought I would get an idea here first)

2. I am worried I'll pick a setting that for some reason won't be compatible with the stone. Is this a real issue or am I just making things up in my head?

3. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find a great "Princess Di-style-but-for-round-cut-sapphire" setting?

Thank you all so much. The stone itself has the following stats: 2.2 carats, 7.76 x 7.81 x 4.68mm. It is currently en route so I can't take a picture of it but I've attached the image that was provided by AIGS.

gem.png

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your thread got a little buried today, because typically someone would've responded by now. Sorry bout that!

So Welcome! Now on to your questions - with answers - below:

1. If I purchase the setting and bring the setting and stone to a local jeweler, will they be able to set it? Does anyone have an estimated cost? (This I could probably just ask the jeweler about myself, but thought I would get an idea here first) It depends upon the complexity of the setting and the stone type. Some jewelers are not familiar with colored gemstones at all, and so it can get a little dicey, especially with some of the softer stones. That said, sapphire is extremely hard and durable so you shouldn't have a problem. You do want a decent bench to do it, so definitely ask around. As far as price, many will do it for a small charge - I've seen prices all over the map here depending largely upon your location and familiarity with the jeweler. Prices seem to run the gambit from about $30 (someone who has a longstanding relationship with the jeweler) to $250 and I'm sure there are places that charge more. It also depends upon the complexity - if prongs need to be extended or some such, the charge will be higher

2. I am worried I'll pick a setting that for some reason won't be compatible with the stone. Is this a real issue or am I just making things up in my head? This is a legitimate concern, as most settings are designed with diamonds in mind, and most colored stones have greater depth than do diamonds, which in turn means that the basket would need to be deep enough to fit the stone. You already know your sapphire dimensions, so that will help. It is also important to ensure the setting width (prongs, that is) is compatible with your stone

3. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find a great "Princess Di-style-but-for-round-cut-sapphire" setting? I commend you on getting the stone first. I would suggest that you wait before ordering any setting until you see the sapphire in hand, and have an opportunity to check it out in different lighting conditions. This way you'll know for sure whether or not its a keeper. As you know, there are many members here who know exactly who to go to for settings and will recommend places for you to look. But a couple of things will help. First, what is your price range for the setting? There are so many different ways you can go to obtain a setting that its really necessary to know the ballpark in which to start looking. There are also design elements that vary substantially from vendor to vendor. One quick example: what kind of prongs do you want and where would you like them placed? At the top of this page, there is a thread called eye candy or some such where members have posted their photos of their set stones in various pieces of jewelry. I would take a look through that thread (warning: it has many pages so it may take you some time), and come back with examples of halo settings that you like

I hope that helps. Once again, you are wise to wait until you have the sapphire in hand before you move forward. I love purple sapphires. As I'm sure you know, unheated ones are rare indeed. Congratulations on starting the journey! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results