shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald with no treatment: should I purchase?

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock
Hi JewelFreak
Here is a selfie of my largest sapphire.
We do need gem photographers, much like portrait photographers, to capture them as worn rather than resorting to selfies.

Sixteen carats unheated, untreated.
It is a very elusive gem to photograph properly.

When there is more time, I will get around to putting it into a proper diamond setting.
For now, I enjoy it as a statement piece sans diamonds.

em3v.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelPhenom|1417322249|3792616 said:
TL said:
You're welecome JewelPhenom.
It seems like you made up your mind on this Zambian emerald, so if you love it that much, I would go for it as long as it has an AGL.
Good luck and take more pics when you get it. :)

I have not decided.
I was not sure if there was an intended slight by comparing a Zambian emerald that is 5 figures/per carat to an Ebay uncertified stone that may be worth, generously, $500 USD.

But I choose to hope that it was not meant as an insult, TL. And I did solicit comments.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Estate-Plat...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I have several of those type rings and do not wish to purchase another. Two credentialed gemology professionals have independently commented on the value of the Zambian emerald. And I am growing tired looking for an elusive Columbian, especially given the Zambian awaiting my purchase.

No, it was not an insult at all. I was actually quite happy for you. It's often difficult for many of us to find the stone we love, and you seemed very enthused about it. :)

As for pricing, emeralds have gone through the roof over the last five years or so. If you're still unsure, perhaps go to a fine antique show in your area. Often times there are gorgeous emeralds in old pieces.

ETA: I wasn't aware that ring was on ebay at all. A one time poster posted it in the "Show me your Emeralds" section, and the photo was quite beautiful despite the lower price. Maybe that was a shill, but I had no idea that ring was for sale. :shock:

That ring did get very enthusiastic comments, but it is only 1.2 carats. It would sell for far less per carat then a stone that is 4+ carats, as large clean emeralds are very rare.

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock
Thank you, TL, for the explanation of the photo, it is appreciated that you took the time to post.
I was trying not to think the worst but it was rather alarming, as I hope you understand.

I do need, though, a gem photographer. If the gems appear that poorly when I photograph them, it is embarrassing.
Perhaps I will make that a condition of all gem purchases from now on; that I require at least one picture perfect glossy in digital format. :)

gayani1

Shiny_Rock
TL|1417219849|3792064 said:
MJO|1417218757|3792057 said:
She did say it looked better than the Muzo material they had there to compare it to. It might just be they didn't have any top Muzo stones there to compare it to.

Right, top grade Muzos are a whole different ball of wax. There are plenty of medium and commercial grade Muzos out there. However, if you love the Zambian stone, then go for it.

This is one of the best photographic attempts I've seen on PS of a fine emerald, and its Colombian. It's so hard to properly photograph emeralds, as many of us well know.

_23572.jpg

2_nd_0.jpg

TL, those are vendor's photos. i have included some other photos from the same vendor on that thread.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-show-me-your-emeralds.183829/page-7']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-show-me-your-emeralds.183829/page-7[/URL]

gayani1

Shiny_Rock
She did say it looked better than the Muzo material they had there to compare it to. It might just be they didn't have any top Muzo stones there to compare it to.

Right, top grade Muzos are a whole different ball of wax. There are plenty of medium and commercial grade Muzos out there. However, if you love the Zambian stone, then go for it.

This is one of the best photographic attempts I've seen on PS of a fine emerald, and its Colombian. It's so hard to properly photograph emeralds, as many of us well know.

_23572.jpg

2_nd_0.jpg

TL,those are vendor shots.i have included some pics from the same vendor on that thread.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-show-me-your-emeralds.183829/page-7']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-show-me-your-emeralds.183829/page-7[/URL]

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelPhenom|1417324190|3792625 said:
Thank you, TL, for the explanation of the photo, it is appreciated that you took the time to post.
I was trying not to think the worst but it was rather alarming, as I hope you understand.

I do need, though, a gem photographer. If the gems appear that poorly when I photograph them, it is embarrassing.
Perhaps I will make that a condition of all gem purchases from now on; that I require at least one picture perfect glossy in digital format. :)

No need to explain. I'm embarrassed myself that I didn't know that gem was on ebay. :doh:

Emeralds are the worst gems in the world to photograph. I think 99% of us have given up on ever getting a proper picture of one. I know I have. :blackeye:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gayani1|1417324869|3792628 said:

TL,those are vendor shots.i have included some pics from the same vendor on that thread.

Yes, that's where I saw it first in that thread. I didn't see your later comments, so I had no idea that was a vendor. Maybe Nissy is the person that bought it from ebay and was posting the vendor shots????

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock
Those photos are huge. Is there a way to shrink them so it's not a half page of scrolling to pass them by?

Edit: Thanks TL.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It has to be the nicest emerald I will ever own and one of the best I have seen.

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock
MJO
It must have been a difficult decision to part with it.
Why did you never set it?

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1417323115|3792619 said:
That ring did get very enthusiastic comments, but it is only 1.2 carats. It would sell for far less per carat then a stone that is 4+ carats, as large clean emeralds are very rare.

But isn't saying it is worth at BEST only $500 USD a little fair? I will never afford stones like those being discussed on this thread (the sapphire is amazing btw) but admittedly probably taking it too personally since I just bought a smaller one. :((

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
JewelPhenom|1417326443|3792641 said:
MJO

It was. I have so many different stones that I can't set them all. Plus my wife doesn't wear much jewelery. The one she does wear of the better stones is a Paraiba Tourmaline Ring I had made in 2001 with Paraiba earings.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lilmosun|1417326756|3792642 said:
TL|1417323115|3792619 said:

But isn't saying it is worth at BEST only $500 USD a little fair? I will never afford stones like those being discussed on this thread (the sapphire is amazing btw) but admittedly probably taking it too personally since I just bought a smaller one. :((

I've seen stones like this 1.2 carat, if the photo is accurate, sell for a lot more per carat (in the thousands). As a pre-owned piece, it might have been sold at a lower cost because it was purchased at a lower cost from an estate, or perhaps the photo is wildly inaccurate. I did comment on the photo, but emerald photos are rarely accurate.

BTW, JewelPhenom, since you did allude to the cost of the Zambian earlier, I think in this case, a full AGL prestige report would be in order if you did decide to get it. The full report will provide the color quality, and overall quality, which I think would be in order in this case. It's a lovely stone, but I had no idea how expensive it was, so I'm amending my earlier comments on what report to get. :)

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock
Hi lilmosun
Thank you for your comments, they are appreciated and I did ask people to do so.

My calculation was rough order of magnitude, given the stone is in a platinum setting with diamonds, non Columbian emerald, and the price paid for the ring was probably around $2,000.

I have several smaller emerald rings but that is not what I am looking for this time.

Whatever, and I mean this sincerely, that you love and can afford is the most beautiful gem ever.
Have you posted photos of your gem? I do want to see it!

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock
BTW, JewelPhenom, since you did allude to the cost of the Zambian earlier, I think in this case, a full AGL prestige report would be in order if you did decide to get it. The full report will provide the color quality, and overall quality, which I think would be in order in this case.

TL
Do I dare mention now that I just got one on my Burmese ruby. :)

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guess its late here and my tiredness is showing. I thought you were saying the emerald's worth was only $500 at best. Mine is posted on the emerald thread (right after the other ring) and no need to distract from yours. I figured after the setting, I probably paid $800 for my 1.01 carat Columbian emerald with minor treatment - not to mention an additional $200 to get an AGL report - so I freaked as it was an impulse buy and I thought, a good deal :lol: But its perfect for me (and my budget) so all is well.

Please do post your ruby as well - would love to see

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock
MJO|1417327345|3792644 said:
JewelPhenom|1417326443|3792641 said:
MJO

It was. I have so many different stones that I can't set them all. Plus my wife doesn't wear much jewelery. The one she does wear of the better stones is a Paraiba Tourmaline Ring I had made in 2001 with Paraiba earings.

Ahhh.... I would not take off the Paraiba ring. Though I am more into pendants now as I talk wildly with my hands and such actions do not bode well with precious gems in rings.
What other types of gems have you collected through the years; I imagine it must be quite the collection.

gayani1

Shiny_Rock
TL|1417325229|3792633 said:
gayani1|1417324869|3792628 said:

Yes, that's where I saw it first in that thread. I didn't see your later comments, so I had no idea that was a vendor. Maybe Nissy is the person that bought it from ebay and was posting the vendor shots????

yes. i think Nissy purchased it and posted the vendor shots before it arrived..would love to see her shots.it's a lovely ring.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
MJO|1417208921|3791834 said:
Remember the finest emerald in the world is the one YOU like the best.

1+ !! :appl:

And this zambian emerald ... I like this one very much!!! A beautiful gem.

S

SparkliesLuver

Wow! I'm not an emerald expert, but from what I've seen with corresponding with Lee Wasson, that looks gorgeous. Does it check everything off your list? Is there anything about it you're hesitant about? With the right cert, and if it's within your budget, I'd definitely consider it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results