shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald?

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,
I don't know much about emeralds and certainly not how to judge their quality from pictures, just that I really like how they glow. Are either of these a good stone? Both are Columbian.

Thank you!

_7695.jpg

_7696.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your definition of a good stone? Both pictures look unnatural, as though there is something odd or tampering of sorts going on. I would not consider either choices. Not knowing your budget or expectations makes it difficult to advise accordingly. Remember that origin isn't all that you should be considering. If anything, that ought to be your last consideration.
1. Colour - do you like it straight green, with a touch of blue or don't mind some yellow? Do you prefer a light, medium, dark tone or something in between? How much pop or saturation of colour?
2. Treatment - oil only or is permanent resin acceptable? What level of treatment?
3. Clarity - it shouldn't look hazy, opaque or too distracting.
4. Cut - perfection isn't necessary but strive for something symmetrical with minimal windowing.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kitten35|1372666095|3475199 said:
Hi everyone,
I don't know much about emeralds and certainly not how to judge their quality from pictures, just that I really like how they glow. Are either of these a good stone? Both are Columbian.

Thank you!

I think it helps to look at high quality emeralds to judge what is a decent one. You don't have to buy a high quality emerald, but it gives you an idea of what to look for, aside from the points that Chrono mentioned. However, if those photos are accurate, that's probably a lower quality stone in terms of color and clarity. Although emeralds are expected to be included, they shouldn't be so included such that they look completely cloudy either.

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! That was my main question: how included should they be. I know they are more than some other stones, but I don't really know what to look for. If anyone has any pics of nice ones, set or unset, feel free to show them. Thanks!

Kitten35

Shiny_Rock
Hi Chrono,
I like the glowy, light green. Don't care much for blue or yellow undertones, just that soft "Wizard of Oz" type green. Not too dark, either, I don't really like the ones that look like a green tourmaline (not that there is anything wrong with green tourmaline--in fact I really like it--I just prefer lighter for emeralds).

Only oil.

Thanks for the other tips! Appreciated.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In terms of clarity, always aim for a clear and transparent stone. Where that isn't possible due to budget constraints, select a stone with inclusions that are not distracting or in your face. The two you posted look opaque, much too included to the point where light isn't able to get through the stone. You ought to be able to see through and inside the emerald. Even when selecting oil only, the level of oiling matters.
A couple of good places to browse:
http://www.embassyemeralds.com
http://www.azemerald.com

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results