shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald or Green Coloured Gemstone?

PhoenixMum69

Rough_Rock
Hello :)

I've been lurking a long time and love the emerald jewellery... which brings me to the conclusion that I would like to buy a May birthstone ring for my daughter's 15th birthday, i.e. the quinceanera (Okay, its quite a long time away, but I like to be prepared :saint: )

So I have some questions...
1. Do you recommend on spending around £100 ($200) on a stimulated emerald ring, or something like this: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2141596.htm
http://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d/8038279/9ct+yellow+gold+created+emerald+%26+cubic+zirconia+ring/
OR...
A 'real' emerald naturally created and costing around £400/$800? I mean, she is approaching 1, is it necessary to spend so much on a ring that she MIGHT lose? And she might not be able to wear it much.

2. Are there any stones that are 'cheaper' than emeralds, but not sacrificing on the hue (i.e vivid green) of the gemstone?

3. Are there any cheap vendors of gemstones either in London (UK) or elsewhere in the world that you know of, that can ship to the UK?

4. Is say, a ruby or a diamond a better 'investment'? 16 year olds like to do all sorts of weird things and I'm afraid that a emerald would go to pieces as it isn't as hard as diamonds.

5. Lastly, as a side question, is it okay if she wears the ring on her ring finger, especially on the left hand? If she doesn't lose it, she'll likely be wearing it when she grows up and since she's right handed she'll prefer it being on her left hand, will this distract potential future spouses? Is it okay if she wears it as a RHR?
Sorry about all these questions, it'll be nice if you helpful posters could just answer one or two. Many thanks :)

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I still have a couple of diamond rings and CS rings that were given to me between the ages of 10 and 16 - I took care of each one of them over the years because it meant a great deal to me to receive a few family pieces and a few new beautiful stones at that age. When you're 15/16, you don't think you're too immature to have and take care of a nice piece.

That said, a green garnet or a tourmaline would be a nice compromise, rather than going all out on an emerald, especially when she'll want to wear it to pieces, and emeralds are not for every day wear. At her age, a CS won't be mistaken for an engagement ring, and when she gets older, she can always have it re-sized to her right hand and wear it as a RHR. My family felt quite strongly that I shouldn't wear a diamond on my left ring finger because they didn't want anyone to think that I had run off and gotten engaged, or that they had allowed me to run off and get engaged, when I hadn't.

Hope that helps :)

Genuine-Gem-Geek

Rough_Rock
I would reccomend Tsavorite Garnet or Chrome Diopside. They are both a beautiful shade of green and have wonderful clarity.
Hope I helped!

Genuine-Gem-Geek

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I don't think we are allowed to discuss snythetic CS's on this board.

Emeralds are soft and chip easily. If this is for your teen daughter I would skip on emerald and go for something else.

I have a few CS rings from when I was a teen. Most of them are horrible outdated so I don't wear them. Plus I have also lost a few over the years. My suggestion would be do something classic so as she gets older she can still wear it.

How about a partial eternity (leaves space in the back so she can have it sized). IDJ will make any of the bands in a mix of diamonds and a green stone. It will still be under $800 (pending what style you choose and diamond weight), but I like this idea better. Stackers never go out of style. And you can add more stackers for future birthdays/ celebrations.

http://idjewelryonline.com/index.php?cPath=53_137

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results