shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald-cut sapphires?

mjp

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for an emerald-cut blue sapphire for an engagement ring, ideally at least 3ct, but not having much luck -- doesn't seem to be a common cut. The only two I've found are from Africa Gems, both of which seem to me overpriced:

http://www.africagems.com/emerald-blue-sapphire-g2k-92604089.html
http://www.africagems.com/emerald-blue-sapphire-g2k-5329.html

I'm willing to spend up to $10-15k for the right stone, but needs to be special.

Would appreciate any thoughts or pointers on where else to look!

S

SparkliesLuver

I second GregS's comment about The Gem Trader - that was the stone I was going to point out. Otherwise, I've seen some radiant or princess ones but even those are sparse. I'll keep looking though. ;-)

ETA: I did find one. Not sure what you'll think, but I figured I'd still post it for consideration.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/101004907/genuine-montana-sapphire-deep-blue-317?ref=sc_3&plkey=dd994c75124d5f5758cbabc4ee5432c35aade6e6%3A101004907&ga_search_query=emerald+cut+sapphire&ga_order=price_desc&ga_page=1&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

3.17cts
10.9 x 7mm
Heat treatment
Montana sapphire
$4,567

il_32.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GregS|1415043942|3776873 said:
The 2nd AfricaGems stone looks to be very nice, the first 1st is too dark and the Diamonds by Lauren stone is windowed.

Not quite as nice a color as that one AfricaGems stone, but worth a look at 1/4 of the price...
http://www.thegemtrader.com/Jun13BSapphirePage.htm

Ditto the above. Out of those suggested, the second AG stone would be my pick. The DBL sapphire may not truly be windowed but step cuts is certainly very unforgiving for coloured stones.

mjp

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the input so far. The gemtrader stone is certainly priced well, but not sure I'm willing to trade off that much in color. It's also not an ideal ratio (1.75), and I would prefer emerald vs. radiant.

The Etsy Montana stone is lacking the richness/deepness in color I'm looking for. Not a bad stone though.

Any other suggestions much appreciated! Worst case I will get the 2nd AG stone shipped to see how it looks in person.

CirrusClouds

Rough_Rock
Trade
I really like Emerald Cut Sapphires and Rubies for that matter. One of my favorites actually; very classy.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Any other suggestions much appreciated! Worst case I will get the 2nd AG stone shipped to see how it looks in person.
It's probably worth getting this to look at. My concern was that it might be too dark in hand but the LAB report shows a definite royal blue and the lab photos are not known for glamour shots.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's beautiful... perhaps PSers with more experienced eyes than I will have more to add. Ask about silk and glow, if that matters to you.

eta: What do others think of the price? Just curious.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for the double post but I just noticed the sapphire is on one of their home page banners :rodent:

_498.png

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
It's an extremely beautiful Sapphire with perfect everything and it's priced as such. If anyone says otherwise I'd question their judgement.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
GregS|1415471990|3779817 said:
It's an extremely beautiful Sapphire with perfect everything and it's priced as such. If anyone says otherwise I'd question their judgement.

Well it is heated, which is not perfect.
Plus it's hard to judge the quality of the silk from the pic and video. Of course this can be asked about. I wouldn't call it perfect so quickly, but it is definitely very fine imo. Something I'd be proud to own if I could.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
LoversKites|1415474232|3779834 said:

Plus it's hard to judge the quality of the silk from the pic and video. Of course this can be asked about. I wouldn't call it perfect so quickly, but it is definitely very fine imo. Something I'd be proud to own if I could.
Silk in a sapphire with top color such as this one isn't a bad thing, it spreads that color like frosting on a cupcake. It's a gorgeous stone. Perfect was a strong word, no stone is perfect.

Edit: I want to add that it is a bit dark in tone, but it would be worth a look in hand.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
GregS|1415477222|3779853 said:
LoversKites|1415474232|3779834 said:

Silk in a sapphire with top color such as this one isn't a bad thing, it spreads that color like frosting on a cupcake. It's a gorgeous stone. Perfect was a strong word, no stone is perfect.

Edit: I want to add that it is a bit dark in tone, but it would be worth a look in hand.

I meant it is difficult to asses whether it has too much, too little, or just enough silk. That is related to preference and some prefer a very clear crystal, however.

I think it was Richard Hughes who said something about no ruby is ever perfect, and I think same goes for most gems.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GregS|1415477222|3779853 said:

Definitely. I think the touch of silk will be a bonus in this case; not enough to be obvious but just enough to diffuse the colour evenly and "warm" it. It is a bit dark and would not be a stone I would bezel or enclose the pavilion.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results