carat
color
clarity

ebay setting for a small sapphire, please advise

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dear PSers,

After reading here about the the various ebay setting vendors, I went to look and *accidentally* fell for a setting from diamondmounts... :cheeky:

I'm waiting for a 1ct trillion sapphire to arrive in the mail, and if I like it, I think it may work in this setting (I asked the seller if they can customize it for a trillion, he said yes). I saw some discussion of upgrading the diamonds from these sellers, do you think it would make sense in this case? I asked the seller for a quote, he said $200 more, which is a lot, considering the price.

Also, do you think a trillion (it's around 6x6mm) would look good in this ring?

Any input greatly appreciated :)

- Anya

c120 (1).JPG

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Or maybe it won't work with a trillion? Has anyone customized a similar type of ring (or any ring from the eBay vendors) with a trillion setting?

Maybe I should just get the mount and search for a round stone. Hmmmm...

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Trillions can be tricky stones to set. A round is, well, round, but a trillion's proportions and curves vary a lot. Personally, I wouldn't put a trillion in a setting like that because of the detail on the band--too many lines going in too many directions. My suggestion would be to find a stone you like first, then find a setting that complements it. Buying a setting first usually results in a delay while you desperately search for the right color, right shape, and right size gemstone!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1324649336|3087449 said:
Trillions can be tricky stones to set. A round is, well, round, but a trillion's proportions and curves vary a lot. Personally, I wouldn't put a trillion in a setting like that because of the detail on the band--too many lines going in too many directions. My suggestion would be to find a stone you like first, then find a setting that complements it. Buying a setting first usually results in a delay while you desperately search for the right color, right shape, and right size gemstone!

+1

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Aoife and TL, it's a very good point about the geometric confusion of that kind of ring. I'll proceed with my original plan for that trillion, which is to see if an etsy artist will set it for me in a modified version of this ring:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/87609505/trillion-paraiba-tourmaline-palladium

In the meanwhile ill just wait for the trillion to arrive, and maybe start a lookout for a round stone.

Thanks again!

Anya

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results