shape
carat
color
clarity

E-ring help: Sapphire, art deco, diamond!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no!
I'm so sorry to hear you are having issues with the vendor-I had thought I'd read some where that a PSer had a good experience but I can't recall where or who. You should wait until after you get the ring back before doing a review-but I for sure would do one. At the very least IMO they should have honored the 8k price and after misrepresenting the product discounting it by the 200.00 for the sapphires.

I will say that color grade is a bit subjective-so the appraiser saying it was an I vs EGL H isn't to big of a surprise. Did he say the sapphires were fake (as in glass or some other material) or did he say synthetic as in man made? Most of those pieces from that period have synthetic (meaning it's a sapphire grown in the lab vs naturally occurring-I believe-the experts can confirm/correct me if I'm mistaken) since that was fairly new and quite common in art deco pieces-including watches.

Makes me wonder if my art deco watch has natural sapphires since the vendor said they were but that is unusual for the period-I'll ask when I finally get it appraised.

Did the appraiser feel you got a fair price? The OEC facet pattern is stunning as well ad the setting. I feel so bad for recommending it and having them treat you this way. Customer service is such a hit or miss thing now a days-such a shame!

Please don't let this taint your engagement or the ring. It's not that beautiful rings fault that the people who found it to resell it weren't great vendors-the important thing is that it has a home forever with a loving owner who will love it and take care of it and appreciate it like it should be.

And it represents your love and commitment to one another-so after you write your review- wipe the slate clean and give it a new life with you and your proposal. Just remember the search for the perfect ring and the look of shock and joy when your bride to he sets eyes on the labor of your love!

Edited since my Iphone wrote words that I didn't write and made me sound silly!

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
vintagelover229|1328219350|3117640 said:
Oh no!
I'm so sorry to hear you are having issues with the vendor-I had thought I'd read some where that a PSer had a good experience but I can't recall where or who. You should wait until after you get the ring back before doing a review-but I for sure would do one. At the very least IMO they should have honored the 8k price and after misrepresenting the product discounting it by the 200.00 for the sapphires.

I will say that color grade is a bit subjective-so the appraiser saying it was an I vs EGL H isn't to big of a surprise. Did he say the sapphires were fake (as in glass or some other material) or did he say synthetic as in man made? Most of those pieces from that period have synthetic (meaning it's a sapphire grown in the lab vs naturally occurring-I believe-the experts can confirm/correct me if I'm mistaken) since that was fairly new and quite common in art deco pieces-including watches.
Makes me wonder if my art deco watch has natural sapphires since the vendor said they were but that is unusual for the period-I'll ask when I finally get it appraised.

Did the appraiser feel you got a fair price? The OEC facet pattern is stunning as well ad the setting. I feel so bad for recommending it and having them treat you this way. Customer service is such a hit or miss thing now a days-such a shame!

Please don't let this taint your engagement or the ring. It's not that beautiful rings fault that the people who found it to resell it weren't great vendors-the important thing is that it has a home forever with a loving owner who will love it and take care of it and appreciate it like it should be.

And it represents your love and commitment to one another-so after you write your review- wipe the slate clean and give it a new life with you and your proposal. Just remember the search for the perfect ring and the look of shock and joy when your bride to he sets eyes on the labor of your love!

I wondered about the bolded statement above, as well. My understanding is that synthetics were the new and high end thing at the time and it's very common for period pieces to have synthetic sapphires and rubies- which are real corundum, just lab grown instead of earth grown. It does change the value of the stones, but also indicates to me that the ring is in it's original condition, which is kinda cool too.

Totally different story if they are glass, but probably replaceable in that case.

For the structure issue- find a jeweler with a laser welder who does restorations; Hunt Country is a bit far out of DC (Loudoun County, VA), but I know they do this kind of work.

Congratulations on your upcoming engagement!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Popping in hoping for an update soon :appl:

Leap day is just 2 days away and I'm hoping for a proposal story and hand shots :love: :love:

Good luck and congratulations!!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I second vintagelover's sentiments!

JDMWDC

Rough_Rock
vintagelover229|1328219350|3117640 said:
Oh no!

Hey! Sorry for going missing on ya! Someone at my office got laid off and I inherited 100% of her work. I'm lucky to have time to check my personal email in a given day! Definitely do not feel bad ONE BIT - I could have returned it at any moment for a full refund. They made that repeatedly clear!

To answer your question, the sapphires were synthetic (man made) not glass. Honestly though a fake is a fake regardless of the quality in my eyes. I do realize, and Martin told me this, that synthetic sapphires were huge back in the day. My problem is just that they were specifically advertised as natural (and possibly priced as such if they got that detailed).

My appraiser did tell me I got a fair price. I ended up paying 8250 and he appraised it at 10,200 for insurance. Not quite as big of a gap as I was hoping for, but I'm pretty sure he didn't take into account things like uniqueness of the setting - it was just weight of the platinum, etc.

I took it back to my appraiser after I got it sized, and he assured me the diamond is the same one I bought. I'm glad I went to him after all! Thanks for talking me into the high-end appraiser, he's been great.

Originally I was going to propose today (HAPPY BIRTHDAY BY THE WAY, VL!!!) but the occasion when I was going to ask her dad fell through, and it's impractical for me to visit them just for that occasion. I also talked about theoretical plans more with my gf, and it sounds like she wants an April wedding anyway. No use being engaged for over a year! So now I'm shooting for the May/June timeframe for proposing, because I know I'll see them at Easter.

The big problem now is that she likes to tidy up / "reorganize" my apartment and ALWAYS stumbles across gifts (only so many places I can hide things in a tiny apartment). Hopefully it can stay hidden!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for the birthday wishes :) No special plans this year for me-last year my DH took me to the CN tower and we had a very nice dinner and a very nice bottle of red wine. Alas with a house and a baby and boxes stacked high for packing low key is perfect for me this year ::)

Bummer about no proposal today though! That's okay-it gives you the time to plan it the way you want to and my DH asked permission as well and it is so sweet and I'm so glad that he did. I can't imagine holding onto it that long though! I would be itching to propose like a mad man LOL!

I'm glad you still think you paid a fair price. I'm sorry they were man made and not natural-many people have a very difficult time telling the difference unless they go though the testing for it. Still they should have at least offered a slight discount for the discrepancy. Oh well!

As far as the hiding place goes-do you have any place safe at work that you can store it until then? Or perhaps get a safety deposit box until the time comes so she doesn't stumble upon? Or perhaps old school and put it under a loose floor board :rodent:

I can't wait to see hand shots. That setting is SO unique and that checkerboard pattern diamond is AMAZING. You're going to make all your friends wives and their girlfriends :-o and make those men who haven't proposed step it up a notch after their ladies see that stunner on your gf hand :bigsmile:

Thank you so much for the update and I hope work slows down a bit for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results