shape
carat
color
clarity

E-ring help: Sapphire, art deco, diamond!

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
What is your Fiance's ring size btw? That ring is a 8.5 so just make sure it can be
sized down to her size if needbe. I'm pretty sure there are some limits on sizing.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JDMWDC|1326326622|3100780 said:
vintagelover229|1326218592|3099489 said:

Good news! I was able to talk her down a little, and make up some of the difference knowing I will have a substantial tax return coming this year (2,000 credit for going to school). The center stone itself is valued at more than the entire price ill be paying so that cant be a bad thing!

Now: tips for buying online?

Since you are getting it from a good vendor with good reviews with a certification I think you are pretty safe. However-you do need to be sure the ring can be sized down to where you need it to go (or up-up is usually easier) but you should be able to do 2 sizes without much trouble. I would take it to an appraiser in your area just to verify that it is indeed what you think it is (just for peace of mind-its a lot of money and better safe than sorry) and so you have an appraisal for insurance purposes (we use jewelers mutual since they deal with replacing vintage pieces and home owners usually aren't that great with vintage pieces).

I am SO excited for you! When are you planning on proposing? She is going to FREAK (I'm sure she would have before-but that ring is a STUNNER!) :appl: :appl: :love: :love:

JDMWDC

Rough_Rock
vintagelover229|1326384847|3101241 said:

Good news! I was able to talk her down a little, and make up some of the difference knowing I will have a substantial tax return coming this year (2,000 credit for going to school). The center stone itself is valued at more than the entire price ill be paying so that cant be a bad thing!

Since you are getting it from a good vendor with good reviews with a certification I think you are pretty safe. However-you do need to be sure the ring can be sized down to where you need it to go (or up-up is usually easier) but you should be able to do 2 sizes without much trouble. I would take it to an appraiser in your area just to verify that it is indeed what you think it is (just for peace of mind-its a lot of money and better safe than sorry) and so you have an appraisal for insurance purposes (we use jewelers mutual since they deal with replacing vintage pieces and home owners usually aren't that great with vintage pieces).

I am SO excited for you! When are you planning on proposing? She is going to FREAK (I'm sure she would have before-but that ring is a STUNNER!) :appl: :appl: :love: :love:

Fortunately she has big hands. Anyway, the ring is an 8.5 as-is, but I'm guessing she is 7.5-8. Shouldn't be any trouble at all.

Yep I already informed the seller I need it in time for an independent appraisal etc. They said no problem. They do resizing for free which is great, but I'm still working on trying to find her ring size. Yesterday I just came out and asked her what her size is "for future reference" -- and she didn't even know. Good thing I didn't try to go through her mom or something just to hit a dead end. So I tasked her with finding out since she works around some jewelery shops. If she doesnt, I'll just have to guess and foot any resizing. I'll probably go 8 as it's better (and cheaper) to shrink it than enlarge it.

I'm thinking of proposing on leap day. How fun is that? Then we can celebrate every 4 years.

thank YOU vintagelover! (all of you to be honest! great community here)

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JDMWDC|1326386877|3101267 said:
vintagelover229|1326384847|3101241 said:

Fortunately she has big hands. Anyway, the ring is an 8.5 as-is, but I'm guessing she is 7.5-8. Shouldn't be any trouble at all.

Yep I already informed the seller I need it in time for an independent appraisal etc. They said no problem. They do resizing for free which is great, but I'm still working on trying to find her ring size. Yesterday I just came out and asked her what her size is "for future reference" -- and she didn't even know. Good thing I didn't try to go through her mom or something just to hit a dead end. So I tasked her with finding out since she works around some jewelery shops. If she doesnt, I'll just have to guess and foot any resizing. I'll probably go 8 as it's better (and cheaper) to shrink it than enlarge it.

I'm thinking of proposing on leap day. How fun is that? Then we can celebrate every 4 years.

thank YOU vintagelover! (all of you to be honest! great community here)

I might be bias but I think proposing on leap day is a GREAT idea!

CUZ it's my BIRTHDAY :appl: I'll be 6 this year!

You know traditionally that was the ONLY day that women could propose to a man (and if he said no he had to give her a gift) since most didn't recognize that day as a real "day" and it had no legal stature?
http://marriage.about.com/cs/holidays/a/leapyear.htm

With regards to sizing-it probably will only be 50-100.00 to size the ring. If she can't find out her ring size I'd just get it sized to an 8 (or keep it the size it is) and just propose that way. Although I can be the first to admit most women aren't interested in parting with their engagement rings for sizing and some places can't size platinum in house (so you're better off finding out her ring size).

Valentines day is coming up-you know you can always go in and look at "valentines gift ideas" and get both her right and left ring sized while in there and have her pick out a few gift "ideas" and then propose on leap day.

I'm so happy I could help. I really am. My husband is like WHAT ARE YOU DOING ON PS again! I said I'm helping someone find an engagement ring. If I could do this for a living I would (my DH wants me to start a consulting business for jewelery-I just laugh cuz I don't know any guy who would actually seek out a person to do his shopping for him when he can walk into a store and do it himself!)

Keep us posted on the details!

:appl: :appl: :love: :love:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on having made a decision! :appl: (and getting a price reduction).

We'll be waiting to hear what you think of it in hand and yes, Leap Day would be special and not too far off. :))

JDMWDC

Rough_Rock
Clearly my asking her ring size last night set off some alarms. I just got off the phone with her:

Her: "So do you look at my esty page ever?"
Me: Not too often but occasionally.
Her: Oh. Well I added some things to my favorites. You know just incase you need any inspiration. in life.

Haha she linked 13 rings! Here are a few of them:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/89749421/18k-antique-art-deco-180ct-european-cut

http://www.etsy.com/listing/86124383/platinum-art-deco-ring-with-a-round

http://www.etsy.com/listing/77716656/art-deco-platinum-diamond-engagement

http://www.etsy.com/listing/85259590/vintage-14k-white-gold-59ctw-diamond

http://www.etsy.com/listing/70784155/20k-antique-art-deco-diamond-filigree

I'm so excited! The one I got is EXACTLY in this style (and in my humble opinion even better!)!

Of course I had to tell her "well I MIGHT already have something in mind. But the good news is it's in a similar style." After all, I can't let her think she helped me out too much!

You guys are awesome I'll definitely keep you posted. Vintage lover you should totally open a jewelery shop or something! A personal buyer would be funny. You'd be like Hitch

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you did great! The one you got has finer details AND a beautiful stone AND is right in line with everything she loves.

She is going to FREAK! :appl: :appl: :love: :love:

I'm so excited for you guys! Please come back with all the details. I will admit though it seems to be a trend for guys once they get the pretty ring in their hot hands that they are itching to propose and it's hard to wait :) But Leap day isn't to far away-so I'll be looking for your updated thread around that time. Good luck! :appl: :appl:

JDMWDC

Rough_Rock
vintagelover229|1326468035|3102060 said:
I think you did great! The one you got has finer details AND a beautiful stone AND is right in line with everything she loves.

She is going to FREAK! :appl: :appl: :love: :love:

I'm so excited for you guys! Please come back with all the details. I will admit though it seems to be a trend for guys once they get the pretty ring in their hot hands that they are itching to propose and it's hard to wait :) But Leap day isn't to far away-so I'll be looking for your updated thread around that time. Good luck! :appl: :appl:

Ha thats exactly what my best friend said. However I told him even if it was burning a hole in my pocket, I wouldn't think of proposing without talking to her dad first. And I wont see him until the weekend before leap day, so its actually pretty perfect.

Since you're in the DC area --- where would you take it to get it inspected once I get it? I know you mentioned a specific place to insure it, but I assume I need to get it appraised (it comes with a certification but that's different right?) and otherwise inspected to make sure its the correct stone, etc.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think she is going to love your ring!

In the future, you may just want to post pictures of the ring. There are people who will buy things from under you if you post links.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:)

I'm actually located in Canada so I can't help you with the inspection but perhaps someone else will chime in to help with that. There should be a list of trusted appraisers some where on here although I'm not sure if any of them are near you.

The EGL report should have a replacement value for the stone-but you'll need to get one with it set in the setting and then contact jewelers mutual to set up a policy. Should only be 200.00 or so a year to insure it.

https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers/maryland

If you can't find one and IF they haven't already shipped it out I'd have it shipped directly to one and then shipped to you. If not you should be able to do a search in your area and see if there is a GIA appraiser there. Avoid ones who work in jewelery store if you can (some are good but most are bias since you bought online). There should be one close though :)

So sweet of you to ask her dad-I know she'll love that since my husband asked mine and it made my dad very happy too :)

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
If you do a site search people recommend an appraiser in Virginia his name is Martin Fuller. I haven't used him personally but he has good reviews.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Just going to add, given where you work. Why not see if Tiny Jewel Box will do appraisals? They have experience with vintage pieces.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I've contracted with Martin Fuller, and he is superb. He helped me buy a red spinel, which I have still have yet to set. He took pictures of my stone with a microscope so he would be able to identify it later by miniscule unique characteristics. He also helped me _not_ buy a sapphire. He even called the vendor for me on the spot, and it saved me much grief because it was my first experience sourcing a stone directly from a vendor. I cannot recommend him enough.

He is not inexpensive, but I have gone to other appraisers, and he is completely worth it. His has a long list of impressive accomplishments (http://www.martinfullerassociates.com/pages/545241/index.htm), but most importantly to me, he is a class act and will treat you well even if you are not buying a red diamond.

I think, in general, it is better to go to an independent appraiser than a jewelry store that may have a bias. I personally like Tiny Jewel Box, so this is nothing against them.

JDMWDC

Rough_Rock
Ignore this I asked a stupid question and found the answer :)

Thanks for the Martin Fuller reference. I'll check him out. Otherwise I was thinking Continental Jewelers. Close to my office and have good reviews on Yelp.

JDMWDC

Rough_Rock
Just spoke with Martin Fuller, he quoted me $225 for appraisal (after $25 off for my pricescope reference). Wow that seems high compared to other places I've looked.

I contact a jeweler by my office that has good reviews online (Yelp, etc) and they told me $100-$125.

I called Mr. Fuller to verify his estimate, and he basically told me "it sounds like the jeweler you called will rely on the EGL certificate. We will inspect the entire thing from the ground up."

I'm torn! It sounds better to go to a quality guy, but it also sounds good to save an easy $100 and go with a place that's getting good reviews. Hm hm hm.

Its not like i'm looking for resale value (haha), I just want to know 1) it is the ring they advertised and 2) I paid a fair price. Don't necessarily care about verifying the table %.

Thoughts?? Need to act on this quickly.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
JDMWDC|1327600243|3112294 said:
Just spoke with Martin Fuller, he quoted me $225 for appraisal (after $25 off for my pricescope reference). Wow that seems high compared to other places I've looked.

I contact a jeweler by my office that has good reviews online (Yelp, etc) and they told me $100-$125.

I called Mr. Fuller to verify his estimate, and he basically told me "it sounds like the jeweler you called will rely on the EGL certificate. We will inspect the entire thing from the ground up."

I'm torn! It sounds better to go to a quality guy, but it also sounds good to save an easy $100 and go with a place that's getting good reviews. Hm hm hm.

Its not like i'm looking for resale value (haha), I just want to know 1) it is the ring they advertised and 2) I paid a fair price. Don't necessarily care about verifying the table %.

Thoughts?? Need to act on this quickly.

You've spent a fair amount of money on the ring, an extra hundred bucks is worth the peace of mind IMO.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I would go with the proper appraisal.

Wouldn't have an issue going with any old appraiser for diamonds, but coloured stones are a whole different ball game and you want someone experienced and up to date with the market.

I was trying to find an appraiser here in London for a couple who have just bought an amazing sapphire which they got an amazing bargain on - I knew that the stone was worth far, far more than they paid and wanted them to have the right insurance valuation. I spoke to a load of people I know in the trade and at the gemmological association in London and came up with 3 names - none of whom were in London.

Two of them don't do fixed fees - some stones need a lot of research behind them. From the example quotes they gave, they were around twice the price of most of the common or garden appraisers that I would use for a diamond ring.

ETA: Appraisers should not be in the business of selling stones or jewellery to avoid a conflict of interest. Sounds like the other option is a jeweller and thus not independent.

JDMWDC

Rough_Rock
K9|1327600583|3112302 said:
You've spent a fair amount of money on the ring, an extra hundred bucks is worth the peace of mind IMO.

This was my initial thought. Am I really quibbling over 2% of the cost of the ring to get it properly looked at?

Then I stepped back and thought about all the stuff $100 could buy ;-)

You're probably right though. Especially because it is an antique piece.

JDMWDC

Rough_Rock
Pandora|1327600745|3112304 said:
ETA: Appraisers should not be in the business of selling stones or jewellery to avoid a conflict of interest. Sounds like the other option is a jeweller and thus not independent.

Right that is the warning I get often by friends (and the person who sold me the ring!). I planned to "get around" this by just saying it is an heirloom piece I just received from my grandmother and just wanted to get it insured. If they don't think I'm in the market for anything, there's nothing they can sell me.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Pandora|1327600745|3112304 said:

I agree with Pandora, and she pointed out a very important distinction in addition to expertise. Regardless of expertise, I would go with an independent appraiser, not one with a relationship to a jewelry store. There is always the question of jewelry stores saying something bad about other stores to promote their own business.

I have used a different (and less expensive) independent appraiser for all my other jewelry (diamonds/pearls/etc).

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would imagine that one of the key reasons to get it appraised is so that you can insure it for its true value. I get that you want someone to tell you you got your money's worth, but presumably that ring will be in your future for a long time, and therefore the real reason for an appraisal is to protect you in the event of loss, damage or theft. In this case, not to repeat what Pandora has said, but what you really want is someone who knows colored gems inside and out and can value the ring correctly...

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Idk how much I'd go with yelp on this issue. $100 isn't much more and he has great reviews. Do you have the ring btw?

JDMWDC

Rough_Rock
winternight|1327607165|3112384 said:
Idk how much I'd go with yelp on this issue. $100 isn't much more and he has great reviews. Do you have the ring btw?

Yessssss. It came today. Looks great!!

I've already made my decision (de facto because the local jeweler isn't even open tomorrow).

K9

Brilliant_Rock
You realize you're obligated to show photos, right? ;))

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhh! It came!?!?!?! Are you happy with your decision after looking at all those links we provided you with and all the searching for the perfect ring?!?!?!

Must have pictures!!! :naughty: :naughty: :appl: :appl:

Let us know how the appraisal goes and I would love to hear details of how you are going to propose! Still on leap day?! ::)

I'm so excited for you! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

JDMWDC

Rough_Rock
vintagelover229|1327690056|3113222 said:
Ohhhh! It came!?!?!?! Are you happy with your decision after looking at all those links we provided you with and all the searching for the perfect ring?!?!?!

I am very happy! Everyone on here has been so helpful in my search!

Appraisal went amazingly. Martin was very worth it - thanks for the help on that ladies!

He alerted me to three main (minor) problems (though both he and his assistant were a joy to watch as I showed them the ring. Blown away.)

1) The sapphires are fake (BIGGEST PROBLEM)

2) One of the struts behind the sapphires (basically a beam of platinum bisecting the open space behind the sapphires which is open to allow light to pass) is broken

3) The diamond has a flake chip in the girdle. I saw this on the EGL cert, but Martin thought they should have put it under one of the prongs. Not only to hide it but to protect it from further damage.

Still all in all he thought it was a, in his words, "'yes' ring"

I want to take this soapbox opportunity to say the place I got this from, The Three Graces (http://www.georgianjewelry.com), has been the worst buying experience of my life! They continue to stun me at the level of curt emails, lack of returning phone calls and complete disregard for customer service.

They outright refused to replace the sapphires (even though the ring description specifically - and falsely - states they are natural), nor credit me for the cost difference. In Martin's estimates I'm losing about $200 for them being fake. Not huge in the grand scheme of things, but it's the false advertising principle of the thing that gets me. And hey, that's a really nice dinner check that one could, I don't know, propose after! They said if I'm not happy to send it back for a full refund - all or nothing. In my opinion that's like finding a classic car from the 40s and returning it because the stereo is broken. Not worth returning the car since you really like it, but you feel scammed. And from a practical standpoint, if I stick with my Leap Day proposal plan, I don't even have time to find something else if I wanted (not to mention I genuinely like the ring).

This is on top of:
- Earlier in my transaction, we agreed on $8,000 then emailed me the next day to bump it up to $8,250.

- The Three Graces advertised it as "H" clarity. Martin popped it into his machine and it came out with a solid "I."

- I promised them payment on a Monday. I emailed them to make a good-faith payment for half of the price on the prior Thursday (since they were nice enough to hold it for me for a week while I got funds in order), at which point they stated since I didn't have the full amount they were putting it back up for sale and "hoped I would understand." I had to frantically call to ask why offering to pay some early was cause for canceling the order!

Long story short: What was initially agreed upon was an $8,000 H ring with natural sapphires. What I got was an $8,250 I ring with fake sapphires.

Rant over! A series of heart attacks later, it's back at their vendor for sizing (I'm honestly scared I'll never see it again) and I should have it for good soon. I have already contacted my appraiser who assured me I could bring it back for quick verification at no charge that they didn't swap out the stone or anything. Sad that I have to worry about that. I hate giving them my business but they just happen to have acquired the ring I need!

Hangin in there :)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh man... that's a pretty bad vendor experience! Good thing you posted it here -we can all learn from that (and perhaps... spread the word?!? :wink2: ) ARGH! Dishonesty sucks!

I'm glad your appraisal was productive and that they will follow up with a verification inspection.

Good luck with your proposal and I hope your fiance to be will be thrilled with your selection - show us handshots when you have them!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your summary really says it all - that really is fraudulent behavior on their part, particularly not honoring the fact that the sapphires were fake and by remedying it in some fashion.

We should all take note of that vendor - is The Three Graces an etsy vendor?

JDMWDC

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux said:
Your summary really says it all - that really is fraudulent behavior on their part, particularly not honoring the fact that the sapphires were fake and by remedying it in some fashion.

We should all take note of that vendor - is The Three Graces an etsy vendor?

I dont believe they are on etsy but who knows. They are on the above website (their homepage) as well as rubylane. Too bad they don't have a physical store I'd love to review them on Yelp :tongue:

I was initially hesitant to post my review of them until AFTER i got my ring back, but 1) it's insured anyway and 2) I own it - they have charged my card. They can't legally just take it back and refund me at this point without my consent as its my property. I doubt they will see this but I'll feel better once I have it back.

Part of me inherently hates to trash a company like this but it's at the point where the ring brings up bad memories when it should be the polar opposite (especially when I'm giving you 8k). I'm sure those will fade once I get it back from sizing and can put them to my rudder. I thought about opening a complaint with the BBB regarding deceptive advertizing since the advertise how they have an "A+ rating" with them, but I don't really have much of an argument as they did offer to refund me my money once I realized the sapphires were fakes.

Happy thoughts happy thoughts happy thoughts :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results