shape
carat
color
clarity

E-ring help: Sapphire, art deco, diamond!

JDMWDC

Rough_Rock
Aoife|1325879398|3096682 said:
That sounds like a good plan, and I'd also suggest, if you have not already, taking a look at the Show Me the Bling forum, searching using terms like "vintage," "Art Deco," etc. Quite a few of those threads have photos of vintage rings on the hand, and that is a helpful perspective.

"Personal preference" doesn't even begin to come close to covering it.

In any case, do let us know what you find out.

I will check pout that forum for sure (also still working my way through the sticky at the top of this one!).

I was rooting around her jewelry box yesterday and found some rings she has that ive never seen. Maybe they will aid in the style she likes. Or maybe she doesn't wear them bc she hates them!

Amen to the bold! I definitely dont want to get her something she MIGHT not like. For now I'm just searching with the hopes one day I'll see one and go "that's it!"

Also bad news re:

It's almost double my price cap at around $12k they said. Onward and upward!

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
JDMWDC|1325876762|3096641 said:
Aoife|1325800165|3095969 said:
It all depends on what "engagementy" means to you, and more importantly, your SO. There are quite a few people on Pricescope who have vintage rings like this as engagement rings, and the one you linked is particularly lovely.

Going back to what has been suggested previously, it seems to me that it may be time to have a conversation about this with your SO.

I actually will push back on you with that last statement. As you can see from my OP, she has already laid out a lot for me. Art deco/vintage style, sapphire is an option but not necessary, she linked me a ring that she likes to show me what she is thinking (just isn't an engagement ring), and I know platinum (or palladium if it comes down to it) for precious metal.

If I have any more of a conversation with her about it, I may as well take her to a jeweler with me and have her pick out her own ring.

I think what it actually is time for instead is for me to go to some B&M stores to look at the designs to get a better feel for what im looking at online and how that translates to a physical item. Hoping to identify some (in the Northern VA by DC area) today and do that while she is working this weekend.

Ah you're in my area - I live in DC. I've been looking for a right hand ring and I just happened to wander into a jewelry store in DuPont circle that had a ring that you might really like for your fiance. Original vintage, platinum set, round center diamond about 80 points with french cut sapphire & round diamond accents & pretty metalwork. The jewelry store was somewhere north of P street I think? South of Cosi which would be around R, on Connecticut Ave. Price was 7,500 but it was very clear they would negotiate. I would only get this ring if they gave you a return period and you could definitely get a better deal than full price. The jewelry store has randomn things - very few estate pieces - mostly they do custom modern work. The ring is about a sizee 6.5 or 7 and the jeweler said they would add metal to the shank/ring to strengthen it since its thin. The ring is a dome style but I have to say it was STUNNING. I don't say it lightly, the workmanship, the porportions and the french cut sapphires were just lovely. It looked lovely on my hand - I think it is much nicer than the good old gold one in the video link because it is more feminine. I think if it isn't too far for you, check it out. I don't know what the quality of the center diamond is because I didn't ask and I have no idea if the price was good, but in my experience it seems like quality vintage in this area carries a huge premium.

Also, just to get ideas you could try Tiny Jewel Box, but they are very pricey for vintage in my experience. There is also a jewelry shop in Maza Gallerie in MD with some nice vintage pieces.

JDMWDC

Rough_Rock
winternight|1325996402|3097687 said:
JDMWDC|1325876762|3096641 said:
Aoife|1325800165|3095969 said:
It all depends on what "engagementy" means to you, and more importantly, your SO. There are quite a few people on Pricescope who have vintage rings like this as engagement rings, and the one you linked is particularly lovely.

Going back to what has been suggested previously, it seems to me that it may be time to have a conversation about this with your SO.

I actually will push back on you with that last statement. As you can see from my OP, she has already laid out a lot for me. Art deco/vintage style, sapphire is an option but not necessary, she linked me a ring that she likes to show me what she is thinking (just isn't an engagement ring), and I know platinum (or palladium if it comes down to it) for precious metal.

If I have any more of a conversation with her about it, I may as well take her to a jeweler with me and have her pick out her own ring.

I think what it actually is time for instead is for me to go to some B&M stores to look at the designs to get a better feel for what im looking at online and how that translates to a physical item. Hoping to identify some (in the Northern VA by DC area) today and do that while she is working this weekend.

Ah you're in my area - I live in DC. I've been looking for a right hand ring and I just happened to wander into a jewelry store in DuPont circle that had a ring that you might really like for your fiance. Original vintage, platinum set, round center diamond about 80 points with french cut sapphire & round diamond accents & pretty metalwork. The jewelry store was somewhere north of P street I think? South of Cosi which would be around R, on Connecticut Ave. Price was 7,500 but it was very clear they would negotiate. I would only get this ring if they gave you a return period and you could definitely get a better deal than full price. The jewelry store has randomn things - very few estate pieces - mostly they do custom modern work. The ring is about a sizee 6.5 or 7 and the jeweler said they would add metal to the shank/ring to strengthen it since its thin. The ring is a dome style but I have to say it was STUNNING. I don't say it lightly, the workmanship, the porportions and the french cut sapphires were just lovely. It looked lovely on my hand - I think it is much nicer than the good old gold one in the video link because it is more feminine. I think if it isn't too far for you, check it out. I don't know what the quality of the center diamond is because I didn't ask and I have no idea if the price was good, but in my experience it seems like quality vintage in this area carries a huge premium.

Also, just to get ideas you could try Tiny Jewel Box, but they are very pricey for vintage in my experience. There is also a jewelry shop in Maza Gallerie in MD with some nice vintage pieces.

Fun! I work in between DuPont Circle and Farragut North metro stations so that's the perfect area. There's also a Boone and Sons (I think thats the name at least) around there. I'll look for the name but if you think of it in the meantime do post to tell me! Otherwise my google map search says maybe Secrete Jewelry is what you are thinking of?

Also, I'm attaching some pictures of the ring she absolutely loves that I (failed) to capture in my MSPaint sketch in my original post. Not engagementy but at least gives a hint at the style.

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Yes that is the place! You migh as well check out tiny jewel box and Boone since
You're in the area. Tiny jewel box will give you an idea of high end and high price
Vintage. There is also a vintage jewelry shop downtown by the willard. Chad Schwartz. Pricey
But nice. Personally I've been surprised at the lack of nice and affordable vintage in dc.
So keep us up to date. I'm so curious to see what you decide. And don't forget to bargain on price!!
Btw the ring you posted is very cool but I don't think helpful stylewise for your hunt. N

JDMWDC

Rough_Rock
winternight|1326204938|3099283 said:
Yes that is the place! You migh as well check out tiny jewel box and Boone since
You're in the area. Tiny jewel box will give you an idea of high end and high price
Vintage. There is also a vintage jewelry shop downtown by the willard. Chad Schwartz. Pricey
But nice. Personally I've been surprised at the lack of nice and affordable vintage in dc.
So keep us up to date. I'm so curious to see what you decide. And don't forget to bargain on price!!
Btw the ring you posted is very cool but I don't think helpful stylewise for your hunt. N

You were so right. He took 25% off before I even said anything, I showed hesitance and he upped it to 30%. I'm guessing if I go in there with a credit card in hand, he'd bump it to 35%. I had him take some pictures on his iPhone and email me so I could pass around. Sadly they did not come out too well. Attached

photo 1.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JDMWDC|1326172263|3099146 said:
Also, I'm attaching some pictures of the ring she absolutely loves that I (failed) to capture in my MSPaint sketch in my original post. Not engagementy but at least gives a hint at the style.

That stone looks synthetic, as no one in their right mind would cut a blue color like that, and it's also very clear. Also, I doubt anyone would cut a hole in a nice stone of that color to put a piece of metal on top of it. I doubt you'll find that exact style with a natural sapphire, and you would have to destroy the table of the sapphire to do such a thing.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Platinum-Diamond-Sapphire-Art-Deco-Engagement-Ring-J32568-/130626680799?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e69f4f7df

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VINTAGE-ROSE-CUT-DIAMOND-FILIGREE-ENGAGEMENT-RING-PLATINUM-D-1-00CT-/170760337772?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_with_Accents&hash=item27c21bf96c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Art-Deco-13ct-Sapphire-Diamond-Ring-Platinum-4654-/190622612371?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c61fe3b93

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ART-DECO-PLATINUM-FRENCH-1-84-CT-DIAMOND-SAPPHIRE-SOLITAIRE-PAVE-RING-/370574221714?pt=UK_Jewellery_Watches_VintageFineJewellery_CA&hash=item5647f1e192

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Art-Deco-Style-Sapphire-Diamond-Filigree-Plat-Ring-/320714785951?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item4aac17449f

I would make an offer on this ring (THE DIAMOND IS BEAUTIFUL!)
http://www.rubylane.com/item/161033-13330/Striking-Art-Deco-Diamond-Sapphire

After seeing the ring you posted I'm not sure this is her taste but I figured I'd link it anyways
http://www.rubylane.com/item/607400-304/EXQUISITE-Art-Deco-Ring-900

This one is under 7k
http://www.newyorkestatejewelry.com/engagement-rings/art-deco-0.94ct-old-european-diamond-platinum--engagement-ring/16452/3/item#

http://www.newyorkestatejewelry.com/engagement-rings/art-deco-0.65ct--diamond-sapphire-platinum-engagement-ring/16073/3/item

This one is very nice
http://www.newyorkestatejewelry.com/engagement-rings/art-deco-1.35ct-old-mine-diamond-&-sapphire-18k-gold-engagement-ring/14820/3/item

http://www.newyorkestatejewelry.com/engagement-rings/2.59ct-round-ceylon-sapphire-diamond-18k-gold-engagement-ring-/14911/3/item

JDMWDC

Rough_Rock
vintagelover229|1326218592|3099489 said:

These two are especially pretty. I wonder how much you think the rubylane would come down... Whats a legit offer on something like that? 8675 asking. Think they'd entertain 6?

Edit: Apparently they have a no-negotiating rule. That's obnoxious! I'm going to throw out a number anyway to see the reaction. Everything in life is negotiable :)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with your search. I think you CAN find a beautiful ring in your price range. Personally since she already has a blue center stone ring, I would lean towards getting her a diamond center stone if you can afford it. But if you find the perfect ring with a sapphire it's nice you got that opening.
Personally the sense I get from the ring she has, is she likes art deco, but its an art deco ring that has a modern feel to it. I would lean towards more simple lower set sillouettes rather than settings that are overly fussy/too much going on. Just my hunch.

I know this is over your budget, but an example of one of ones above that fulfills that.http://www.newyorkestatejewelry.com/engagement-rings/art-deco-1.35ct-old-mine-diamond-&-sapphire-18k-gold-engagement-ring/14820/3/item#

I also LOVE that square sapphire with diamonds on either side, can't go wrong with something like that.

JDMWDC

Rough_Rock
winternight|1326204938|3099283 said:

Also he said the diamond was SI1/SI2. A little worse than I had hoped but I realize antique rings tend to be VS1 at BEST. The inclusions are VERY easy to see if you look at the ring from underneath, but since they are focused toward the bottom of the ring, and its mounted so deeply, its not really detectable when worn from any angle. Color appeared to be about an H.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JDMWDC|1326219533|3099518 said:

These two are especially pretty. I wonder how much you think the rubylane would come down... Whats a legit offer on something like that? 8675 asking. Think they'd entertain 6?

Edit: Apparently they have a no-negotiating rule. That's obnoxious! I'm going to throw out a number anyway to see the reaction. Everything in life is negotiable :)

I thought you might like the rubylane one-others have bought from them and it's been successful (although I don't have time to search for those threads). I would still make an offer. I wouldn't go in at 6k though-perhaps 6500.00 or so-worst case they ignore you and don't reply back. I've done things like this on ebay and they usually are willing to work with me. For example my vintage sapphire/diamond platinum & WG watch (also art deco) was listed on ebay for 1500.00 (already a good price but not running 100%). I emailed them and they said they'd take 1300.00 and then I asked if they took estate pieces and they did. I sent them 4 pieces and got over 900.00 in value for them (I actually got the same or more for the pieces I was asking on the private market) and it only cost 200.00 to get it up to 100% working order and about 350.00 for the balance of the watch. I had emailed quite a few other vendors over the period of 6-9 months with the same offer on different items but no one was interested-so it really just depends on the seller.

I think they would come down to probably 7500.00 or so depending on how long they've had that piece. The center stone is beautiful and it is platinum but ALWAYS go in with the fact that you'll have to get it checked out and make sure that the setting doesn't need any refurbishing (they work with antiques so they've probably already inspected it and will say as much when you make that statement-also tell them your a PSer they know how we are I'm sure but that way they'll know you know the value).

I will tell you that the stone from rubylane is very very beautiful. The color/clarity if accurate isn't that common in antique stones and usually carry a premium in itself since many OEC's are lower color/clarity then that. Just something to consider. If you can get it for 1k less (I know it's a bit over your budget) I think it's a fair price.

I've emailed newyorkestate and they've never replied. I would call them if you are serious about it and see what they can do for the price. But of the 2-I think the rubylane one is going to be a show stopper and worth the extra $ in the long run.

I also want to add that the stone is certified by EGL (common for old stones) and that adds value as well. many of the other pieces that are cheaper are guesstimated by an appraiser or the seller in the setting-the stone on rubylane has been removed and been certified which is good for insurance purposes.

I keep looking at that stone myself just because it's so beautiful! :love:
Good luck!

JDMWDC

Rough_Rock
vintagelover229|1326226171|3099667 said:
JDMWDC|1326219533|3099518 said:

I thought you might like the rubylane one-others have bought from them and it's been successful (although I don't have time to search for those threads). I would still make an offer. I wouldn't go in at 6k though-perhaps 6500.00 or so-worst case they ignore you and don't reply back. I've done things like this on ebay and they usually are willing to work with me. For example my vintage sapphire/diamond platinum & WG watch (also art deco) was listed on ebay for 1500.00 (already a good price but not running 100%). I emailed them and they said they'd take 1300.00 and then I asked if they took estate pieces and they did. I sent them 4 pieces and got over 900.00 in value for them (I actually got the same or more for the pieces I was asking on the private market) and it only cost 200.00 to get it up to 100% working order and about 350.00 for the balance of the watch. I had emailed quite a few other vendors over the period of 6-9 months with the same offer on different items but no one was interested-so it really just depends on the seller.

I think they would come down to probably 7500.00 or so depending on how long they've had that piece. The center stone is beautiful and it is platinum but ALWAYS go in with the fact that you'll have to get it checked out and make sure that the setting doesn't need any refurbishing (they work with antiques so they've probably already inspected it and will say as much when you make that statement-also tell them your a PSer they know how we are I'm sure but that way they'll know you know the value).

I will tell you that the stone from rubylane is very very beautiful. The color/clarity if accurate isn't that common in antique stones and usually carry a premium in itself since many OEC's are lower color/clarity then that. Just something to consider. If you can get it for 1k less (I know it's a bit over your budget) I think it's a fair price.

I've emailed newyorkestate and they've never replied. I would call them if you are serious about it and see what they can do for the price. But of the 2-I think the rubylane one is going to be a show stopper and worth the extra $ in the long run.

I also want to add that the stone is certified by EGL (common for old stones) and that adds value as well. many of the other pieces that are cheaper are guesstimated by an appraiser or the seller in the setting-the stone on rubylane has been removed and been certified which is good for insurance purposes.

I keep looking at that stone myself just because it's so beautiful! :love:
Good luck!

Thanks! To her "we dont negotiate" email I basically said I was looking for something in the 6-6.5 range. She hasn't replied.

The good news is I'm actively looking for a new job with some nice leads (just finished my Master's program), so if that pans out I can reevaluate my budget.

You have a bad habit of finding amazing rings that are just out of reach :tongue:

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Just be careful where you purchase from and what their return policy is. Some of these older
Rings are represented at a higher color and clarity then they end up appraising for. My husband purchased
An estate ring for me that I picked out as my engagement ring and I was sick nervous until I got it.
As for budget, well just make sure you don't go nuts after all you want to be able to afford a honeymoon
and especially in this economy I wouldn't overspend.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
You know, considering that much-loved ring of hers, and the masters in fine arts degree, it occurs to me that her preferred art deco aesthetic could be what we see in art deco architecture and graphic design, which can quite different than the ring designs we've seen.

Art deco architecture: http://www.decopix.com/LR_Deco_Examples_Gallery-Final/index_3.html

Art deco metalwork: http://www.decopix.com/LR_Metalwork_Gallery-FInal/index.html

Art deco glasswork: http://www.decopix.com/LR_Glass_Gallery-Final/

...I have no idea how that translates into a diamond/sapphire engagement ring. But it's a thought -- maybe you should be leaning towards those designs with the clean lines and sleek shapes, rather than those with the elaborate scrolling flower and milgrain details.

JDMWDC

Rough_Rock
winternight|1326243817|3099975 said:
Just be careful where you purchase from and what their return policy is. Some of these older
Rings are represented at a higher color and clarity then they end up appraising for. My husband purchased
An estate ring for me that I picked out as my engagement ring and I was sick nervous until I got it.
As for budget, well just make sure you don't go nuts after all you want to be able to afford a honeymoon
and especially in this economy I wouldn't overspend.

Absolutely! I decided early on in my search that if I buy online, a no-questions-asked return policy is non-negotiable. Seeing a ring in person could be night and day difference vs how it looks in 3 pictures online!

vintagelover229 said:

Am I going crazy or is this third one just like the rubylane one?? Seriously compare these two side by side since they have similar picture angles available.

http://www.rubylane.com/item/161033-13330/Striking-Art-Deco-Diamond-Sapphire

http://www.etsy.com/listing/90209755/antique-platinum-art-deco-european-cut?ref=sr_gallery_22&sref=&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=sapphire+diamond+ring&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_facet=vintage%2Fantique

Minor differences in sapphire placement and .24 ct difference in the center stone. I am slightly concerned by the etsy one where it says two of the sapphires have scratches and two diamonds have been replaced (and are a different cut?). I wonder how noticeable those flaws are. If not very much, I do not see the $4,600 difference in price...! Too good to be true maybe? If it comes down to it I could probably get the sapphires replaced and still save a boatload of money... right?

DiamondsAndRust

Rough_Rock
tntyau|1326255482|3100106 said:
You know, considering that much-loved ring of hers, and the masters in fine arts degree, it occurs to me that her preferred art deco aesthetic could be what we see in art deco architecture and graphic design, which can quite different than the ring designs we've seen.

Art deco architecture: http://www.decopix.com/LR_Deco_Examples_Gallery-Final/index_3.html

Art deco metalwork: http://www.decopix.com/LR_Metalwork_Gallery-FInal/index.html

...I have no idea how that translates into a diamond/sapphire engagement ring. But it's a thought -- maybe you should be leaning towards those designs with the clean lines and sleek shapes, rather than those with the elaborate scrolling flower and milgrain details.

I agree. When I think of Deco, I think more of starker designs, strong geometric shapes, straight lines, etc; the ring she loves so much is closer to that aesthetic. The etsy ring is more ornate but it might be good to be absolutely sure.

Also, have you given any thought to what wedding band she'll want to wear with it (presuming she'll want to wear her e-ring every day)? Some of the rings posted above are beautiful but it might be tricky to find a wedding band that sits well alongside so that's another thing that I'd keep in mind.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

This.

If you had posted this ring to begin with, I am wondering if you would have gotten so many recommendations for pave and eensy details, because to me, this ring screams an appreciation of refined and minimalistic, rather than ornate and over the top. I love vintage designs, but her ring, and what you have been looking at are two very different aesthetics.

And, to point out the obvious, it's yellow gold. Are you 100% positive that your SO wants platinum? I ask, because I have a strong preference for yellow gold, and almost never wear any of my white gold rings, and I don't like platinum. Metal color is a strong preference for many people. Unless you have had a conversation with her about this (and if I missed where you said you had, I apologize) I'm beginning to get the feeling that you may be heading off blithely in the wrong direction.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ditto the last 3 posters. the ring that she loves is more the architectual style of art deco versus what jewelry was popular during that era. I know posters love to surprise their potential mates, but wondering if any way of showing her pictures of the variety of styles that have been posted, she what she responds to? Also confirming the platinum versus yellow gold. I love both, but some people love one but not the other.

JDMWDC

Rough_Rock
Aoife|1326291406|3100265 said:

This.

If you had posted this ring to begin with, I am wondering if you would have gotten so many recommendations for pave and eensy details, because to me, this ring screams an appreciation of refined and minimalistic, rather than ornate and over the top. I love vintage designs, but her ring, and what you have been looking at are two very different aesthetics.

And, to point out the obvious, it's yellow gold. Are you 100% positive that your SO wants platinum? I ask, because I have a strong preference for yellow gold, and almost never wear any of my white gold rings, and I don't like platinum. Metal color is a strong preference for many people. Unless you have had a conversation with her about this (and if I missed where you said you had, I apologize) I'm beginning to get the feeling that you may be heading off blithely in the wrong direction.

I understand you guys are reading in between the lines for a good reason. However I know she is looking for the type of rings I have been showed. Actually in the original post in this thread mentions she specifically asked for platinum. The ring I posted that she loves is an example of how she likes unique/interesting things, not necessarily an example of the vintage ring she likes.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Being nit-picky: it's what we do here! :D

Sorry, I missed the bit about the platinum.

You know, based on the ring she bookmarked, and the favorite ring of hers you posted, I'm still going to strongly recommend that you get some kind of further guidance from her. Could you go antiquing, or show her vintage items from Elizabeth Taylor's auction, or the Queens Jubilee exhibition, anything that might narrow down what she really, really is drawn to? This is the ring you are hoping she will wear for the rest of her life, and the rings that have been posted here as suggested options are all.over.the.map. $7000 is a significant budget, so it would be a shame if you ended up spending that on something that lives for the next 60 years in a jewelry box on top of her chest of drawers.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you do go with that etsy ring (I thought you might like that one!) find out what the sellers return policy is and I would send it to an appraiser such as Neil or Dave Atlas. Let them have a look at it (btw I would also see if the seller would accept and offer-you never know!) pay the 100.00 or a bit more $ it is to have it looked at by a professional and see what they say. They may say it needs a bit of work (which is okay since you have the extra $ since it's under budget) and then have it shipped to someone who knows what they are doing. Such as Ari at singlestone who refurbishes antique settings all the time. Another idea is if you don't want to deal with the appraiser-you could just have it sent to Ari to begin with to get it 'up to snuff' and he'd be able to tell you if it's in good enough shape and if it was a good value for your money. If he says no-to much work the setting is crap (doubtful but you never know) make sure you have a return policy set up.

I really think the etsy ring would make her heart sing. New stones aren't uncommon since they chip/crack and need to sometimes be replaced over time. However Ari has the ability to replace them with period stones (or at least ones that look like the same period) and make that ring look BRAND NEW and I don't image it would cost to terribly much. Stone is a nice size too.

I'll keep looking but today I have stuff that I need to do. Maybe afterwords! Let me know what the rubylane sellers come back with and see what that etsy seller says.

If I were you I would copy/save the pictures from the etsy seller and info onto your computer and contact Ari at www.singlestone.com Tell him you are considering buying this vintage ring and was wondering what work/repairs may need done to it and at what cost (he'll only be able to guess since he needs to see it in person to determine it) and see what he says. My ring is vintage and I sent him pictures and he pretty much told me that I needed to buy it since it was such an amazing deal-turns out it was and I'm so happy I listened to him!

Another idea if you don't want to ship the ring to the west coast is to contact jewelsbyericagrace and see if they have someone who refurbishes their vintage pieces on the east coast. I know they have a bench somewhere-I thought it was the east coast but I could be wrong since I know for sure one of the owners lives on the west coast.

Man-sorry I'm so long winded! I have no clue how my husband puts up with me :lol:

JDMWDC

Rough_Rock
vintagelover229|1326301262|3100388 said:
If you do go with that etsy ring (I thought you might like that one!) find out what the sellers return policy is and I would send it to an appraiser such as Neil or Dave Atlas. Let them have a look at it (btw I would also see if the seller would accept and offer-you never know!) pay the 100.00 or a bit more $ it is to have it looked at by a professional and see what they say. They may say it needs a bit of work (which is okay since you have the extra $ since it's under budget) and then have it shipped to someone who knows what they are doing. Such as Ari at singlestone who refurbishes antique settings all the time. Another idea is if you don't want to deal with the appraiser-you could just have it sent to Ari to begin with to get it 'up to snuff' and he'd be able to tell you if it's in good enough shape and if it was a good value for your money. If he says no-to much work the setting is crap (doubtful but you never know) make sure you have a return policy set up.

I really think the etsy ring would make her heart sing. New stones aren't uncommon since they chip/crack and need to sometimes be replaced over time. However Ari has the ability to replace them with period stones (or at least ones that look like the same period) and make that ring look BRAND NEW and I don't image it would cost to terribly much. Stone is a nice size too.

I'll keep looking but today I have stuff that I need to do. Maybe afterwords! Let me know what the rubylane sellers come back with and see what that etsy seller says.

If I were you I would copy/save the pictures from the etsy seller and info onto your computer and contact Ari at www.singlestone.com Tell him you are considering buying this vintage ring and was wondering what work/repairs may need done to it and at what cost (he'll only be able to guess since he needs to see it in person to determine it) and see what he says. My ring is vintage and I sent him pictures and he pretty much told me that I needed to buy it since it was such an amazing deal-turns out it was and I'm so happy I listened to him!

Another idea if you don't want to ship the ring to the west coast is to contact jewelsbyericagrace and see if they have someone who refurbishes their vintage pieces on the east coast. I know they have a bench somewhere-I thought it was the east coast but I could be wrong since I know for sure one of the owners lives on the west coast.

Man-sorry I'm so long winded! I have no clue how my husband puts up with me :lol:

I did contact the etsy person. Here is he response:

The ring comes with an insurance appraisal which values the rings replacement value at $4,900. The two chips aren't extensive and on the surface of the two sapphires - leaving the entire sapphire in tact in both cases ... You really have to look hard and know their there to notice and discrepancy. Let me know if you have any other questions

I had asked if it was certified or appraised, so I can assume this means it isn't certified. Unfortunately the return policy is pretty poor from this seller, requiring a 5% restocking fee if I make it in the 7 day window. I don't plan to propose in the next week that's for sure! So I'm leaning against it a bit now. If it is appraised at 4900 and the rubylane one that looks similar is selling for 8600, there must be something I am missing. Unless you really think the .24 ct difference is really that substantial?

Just not sitting right for some reason.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The rubylane one gets more traffic-they appear to have a more "stable" and longer standing store- AND the rubylane one is slightly larger (yes it makes a difference) and is CERTIFIED. That right there adds TONS of value since it is a lab grading it vs the seller having an appraiser (who knows where they got their classes from, if they finished them, if they work for them/etc) so yes, that is another reason there is a price difference. The one on etsy hasn't been refurbished and the stone hasn't been graded or pulled from the setting.

I would contact the etsy seller and ask if they would consider a reasonable offer (all appraisals are inflated for insurance purposes), if they would extend the return period so you can have it checked out by a professional and see if they would wave the restocking fee (or at least lower it substantially-5% is a lot IMO-to a flat rate which you two agree on).

However if you don't want to deal with sending it back/fourth (which btw unless you get it from a dealer who deals with antiques and certifies them-ebay/etc you'll have to take it in and get it checked out) I would see what is the BEST price you can get for the rubylane piece. I know it's a bit of a squeeze on the budget-but the stone has been certified so you know what you are getting vs. the seller guessed or had an appraiser (and not one that you picked-one they picked so who knows what relationship they have with them).

I'll keep searching though-if this had been a year ago before antique rings made a come back and before diamond prices increased upwards of 40-60% it would have been easier. But alas diamond prices have skyrocketed and even antique dealers have noticed so they can charge a more for their pieces-especially certified ones that are higher of color/clarity.

Another idea is to call Leigh (Lee) at www.antiqueengagementrings.com he has a shop and has MANY rings not listed on his site that are actual vintage pieces. Give him a call and tell him your budget and what you are looking for and he'll email you what he's got-if he has anything that fits your description.

JDMWDC

Rough_Rock
Will do!

I haven't heard back from the RubyLane shop since she emailed me back what I now know is a copy/paste of their no-haggling policy on their website. I responded about 24 hours ago telling them I was hoping they could come down to my range, but am willing to take her up on her offer to see other pieces.

No response.

So of course to further prove my point (that I think any "no haggle" jewelers and car dealers are baloney) I emailed them again. Maybe this time I will get a different person than the President! I actually linked the etsy ring, indicated how outside of .24 ct and a slightly worse clarity rating, the rings are so similar you can put them side by side and forget which shop owns which ring. I then asked them, feigning ignorance, why their ring is worth 218% more than the other one. To be fair, I tried to do it tactfully because it would be nice for them to come down on the price for me.

If I burn any bridges with them, I'm sure I'll get over it :rodent:

When I bought a new car in 2008, I literally walked into a dealership and they told me "this is the lowest price we can do, look at it on our computer software, that way we can bypass any haggling and just give you the lowest price." I went to another dealership and they beat that offer by $3,000! I just don't believe historically negotiably-priced items are not marked up heavily.

JDMWDC

Rough_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results