shape
carat
color
clarity

Does irradiated Morganite fade?

iolitedreamer

Rough_Rock
I have two pretty pink morganites that I bought in 2007. I know now that they are irradiated. They never have been in the sun and I spend most of my time indoors. I have read up on them but have found mixed info on them fading. Does anyone know if they will fade in the sun? Thank you in advance.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes. It is my nderstanding that morganite color does fade in sunlight

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some will fade in the sunlight but from what I've heard, the orangish ones might get get a bit pinker in the sun. In general, irradiating it again will restore the colour.

iolitedreamer

Rough_Rock
Thank you Chrono. I may eventually have one set and if I end up with Goshenite so be it :) I don't have to worry about too much sunlight though.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huh. I never knew that. Is most morganite irradiated? Doesn't that make it very bizarre that from the wedding forum it seems to be an increasingly popular choice for engagement rings???

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It's a surprising choice from the point of view of wear, too. Not a trend that will last, I wouldn't think.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I believe some irradiated colors are stable and some are not-- depends on where it's done really.

Morganite is really not a long lasting stone, I think, but I love the color and how it looks set in rose gold. And it's cheap, which is important if you start as a little collector with a small budget. I've had four morganite rings,the first one I got before I even knew what morganite was. To me, it's like the pink sister of aquamarine. That said, yeah, I wouldnt choose it for an e-ring...

Of course, now I've discovered spinel, I think I won't go back to morganite. But you have to take a price jump to be in the league of spinels, which I've just started to do... :tongue:

iolitedreamer

Rough_Rock
Distracts I have to agree that it is odd. Perhaps they don't mind having to replace the stone.
Jewelfreak, perhaps as time goes buy if there are issues with the morganite they will upgrade to a different stone.
Peacechick, someday I would love to get a nice spinel. I want a hot pink one :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1372790737|3476110 said:
Huh. I never knew that. Is most morganite irradiated? Doesn't that make it very bizarre that from the wedding forum it seems to be an increasingly popular choice for engagement rings???

I'm thinking a couple of reasons for this:
1. They are unaware of the fading issue, treatment, chipping, etc.
2. They like that the pale colour looks sort of like a pink FCD, influenced by celebrity rings.
3. Inexpensive and so are able to get a large stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results