shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone know what the heck I''m talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
Recently I''ve been seeing really cool, modern looking colored stone rings in jewelry stores where the metal of the setting (usually encrusted with tiny diamonds) stretches over the center stone in one or more thin little bands. Does this even make any sense? Has anyone else seen these? Is there a name for them? I can''t find pics online because I don''t even know what to look under, but I''ve seen them in enough stores now that I''m sure there are sites that would have pics and similar items for sale.

Any input is much appreciated!!!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know exactly what you''re talking about. We have a jeweler here that makes them custom. Although he makes the majority of these rings with colored stones, he recently sold a 2 c emerald diamond ring in such a setting and it was breathtaking. I couldn''t find any examples on the net either.

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
Cool, glad you''ve seen em to! They''re really neat. Any idea what they''re officially called (or even if not, a more concise way to describe them than I did above?) I don''t even have a clue of what I could type into google to try to find some online!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t have a clue what they''re called. I did a search for "wire wrapped" rings and jewelry but most of the sites show necklaces and not rings; I also tried "modern gemstone rings" and "unique gemstone rings" with no luck. Sorry.

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much, that was really sweet of you to try! Next time I see one in a store I''ll try asking the sales person what they''re called, maybe they do have a name. Appreciate it!

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Katrina, this is a ring my niece saw on ebay, is this the concept ?

p54052_2.jpg

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
That''s the same basic concept of wire running over the stone, yes. The ones I''ve seen have looked more like traditional gemstone rings, but with a little arc or 2 of metal (usually paved) over the stone. Thanks, that''s definitely the right track!

antiquejewels

Rough_Rock
Does it look something like this?

23.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The settings I saw didn''t have v-caps or any type of prong holding the stone, just wispy thin metal wires.

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
That''s not really like what I saw either, but it''s cool, and thank you for posting it!

The ones I saw are simpler and just had one or 2 thin arcs (kind of like the band just continuing, or the stone being set tucked under the band).

That ring is funky! I like it...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure... there are lots of trendy designs done like that, including good bad and downright ugly
2.gif
I don''t think the style has a name.

8680imv2z.jpg

One can never be sure with these things, but I think Staurino started this craze with some really huge pieces and very fine pave. Their next show off in in NYC (end of January).

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Katrina, a friend of mine has a garnet ring that fits your description but without the diamonds. I''ll try to get a picture to post next week.

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! Yeah, the ones I''ve seen in jewelry stores around here are much more simple and traditional looking, just the one thin band arcing over the stone, like a continuation of the shank itself over instead of under the stone (and not a piece of metal looped around the stone multiple times), but these big crazy pieces are definitely using that same basic concept.

I''m sad to find out that the type of design doesn''t have a name, because I would like to be able to do some more searching for similar pieces online.

Oh well!

Would love to see a pic of your friend''s ring too!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Katrina,

I would be very, very interested in seeing a ring of the type you described! It sounds like a style I would like. Let''s not let this thread die!!! Someone has to have a photo of one!

Deborah

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/30/2004 3:20:15 PM
Author:katrina_33
Recently I''ve been seeing really cool, modern looking colored stone rings in jewelry stores where the metal of the setting (usually encrusted with tiny diamonds) stretches over the center stone in one or more thin little band.

I just wondered if you could go into one (or more) of the stores and ask the store(s) to post a picture here...or at least tell you more about the ring! Perhaps a store would welcome the chance to show a ring to jewelry lovers!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have searched a little and found many sites that use wire with gems to make jewelry. So far I have not found any that also use diamonds set in the wire. Also: most of the jewelry is "artsy", not "traditional". Here is a link to one site. Does anything here bear a resemblance to the rings you saw, Katrina?

Deborah

wire jewelry

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
Maybe I''ll go into one of the stores where I saw em and take a picture to post!

Would the salesclerks think it was weird if I asked to do that? Is that usually allowed?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/5/2005 1:36:36 PM
Author: katrina_33
Maybe I''ll go into one of the stores where I saw em and take a picture to post!

Would the salesclerks think it was weird if I asked to do that? Is that usually allowed?

I don''t know if it is allowed. It seems like a good way to steal someone else''s design (although that could also be accomplished with a sketch pad and a pencil!). Why not ask the store to photograph it *OR* ask if you can put it up here with information on who was selling it? It would be a service to us to know what it looks like and where to find it if we like it and it would give the store some credit for being the one to bring it to your attention.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF & Katrina....I can''t post the promised picture of the ring this week because the coworker who owns it is out of town. I''m pretty sure the style is what Katrina saw. And I was wrong when I posted earlier that it didn''t have diamonds, it does. The ring has a garnet center stone. The shank thins out to a wire that wraps around the top and bottom of the garnet. The upper part of the shank has tiny diamonds--bead set if I remember correctly. As a matter of fact, the rings bears a close resemblance to my e-ring except imagine the wire across the top and bottom face of the stone rather than the half bezel.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for that description, Matata! I think I saw a ring (or more than one) on the ''net that fits that general description...except *without* diamonds. In the case of the rings I saw, the band was wire. (This was because I was doing a search on jewelry with wire!) I look forward to your co-worker''s return and Katrina''s foray into a jewelry shop with her camera!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata got a photograph of her co-worker''s ring and posted it in this thread:

Matata''s Thread

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results