shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone know of a vendor that sells bixbite?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I once saw a pair of 2ct plus oval bixbite studs set in yellow gold. The color and glow were absolutely mesmerizing. I think that the woman wearing them said that they were red emeralds and a gift from her daughter. Does anyone have any bixbite, and does anyone know if a vendor that might sell it?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I'd contact Brad at The Gem Trader. He has a larger inventory than he lists online and specializes in rare and unusual gems.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the Bixbite for sale now is highly highly included and sub 1ct. Anything over 1ct is super expensive.

Be careful if you search for sellers of this stone because lots sell Pezzotaite as Bixbite. Funnily enough Pezzotaite is difficult to get hold of also but has never really captured the heart of people and so the price per carat is much lower than for Bixbite. They can look remarkably similar though.

I should add that Brad is a trusted supplier!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw a gorgeous bixbite at Wild's but I'm also sure it is super expensive.
Constantin Wild - www.gemstone.de

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Hey Indy :ugeek:
The term bixbite was deprecated by the CIBJO(I think that is the correct acronym) due to it sounding like another mineral..l(yes I know the name....just to lazy to type it out... even though by typing out this little snippet on how I am to lazy to type the name bixbyite.... :mrgreen: )
The term Red Beryl is the appropriate terminology amongst those in the know these days :ugeek:

Be wary of fakes, frauds, and ploys as I fell victim, early on mind you, to the red beryl/lead glass filled ruby switcheroo. Thanks to AGL I was able to prove to the poor sap, who lived in Utah no doubt, that what he sold me was nothing more than $2 worth of glass and corundum.
As for purchasing red beryl....I used to buy bunches of it. I used to own one of the top 5 largest red beryl crystals ever found s well as "arguably" but mostly agreed upon, the second finest Thomas Range specimen seen by those in the know.
Mostly rough and crystals/specimens I used to buy, but a few small gemstones here and there. I had 3 awesome contacts...well 2 really...one being a POS who ripped me on tourmaline rough one day. Matt Mabus was the guy to go to about 3 years back. I am pretty sure he sold most of his collection except the best but he would sell fantastic 1/2ct to 2ct. red beryl's all the time on different forums. he had 4-5+ct ones but he kept those I know. I saw a couple 1-2ct stones he sold for under $2K believe it or not, and these were lightly included and had great color...not any half ass gem cut from some red beryl that was sent to China or Thailand for butchering. I have not talked to him in about a year.....wonder what he is up to??

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IndyLady|1380607666|3529977 said:
I once saw a pair of 2ct plus oval bixbite studs set in yellow gold. The color and glow were absolutely mesmerizing. I think that the woman wearing them said that they were red emeralds and a gift from her daughter. Does anyone have any bixbite, and does anyone know if a vendor that might sell it?

I find it hard to believe that anyone would have a matched pair of 2+ carat bixbites of fine quality. They're very rare, do not grow that large, and if they do, are typically very included. They may have been synthetic red beryls too.

I have a bixbite, but its a crystal I bought many years ago, and opaque. It's extremely rare, and only comes from one place in the world (wah wah mines in Utah). While very beautiful in fine form, these pieces are usually reserved for museums, and are very expensive.

Here's a photo of a bixbite I took at a museum (sorry its so blurry).

file.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I was looking at constantine wild's site yesterday and there were about 4 or 5 red beryls. the largest was just over half a carat I think. .Unfortunately his website does not give prices and is awkward to navigate in that you cant search by any criteria, just browse through in the order that it comes. Not too painful though as the eye candy is good. If you look, there is a paraiba that makes it worthwhile.
Another who often has red beryl is http://earthstreas.com/index.html.. While I didn't see any there the last time I looked you could contact him to ask. Multicolour has some as well, mostly small and quite included though.
Do watch out for the sinthetics. Red hydrothermal beryl is grown in the lab and can produce large loupe clean pieces.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
TL|1380636291|3530078 said:
IndyLady|1380607666|3529977 said:

I find it hard to believe that anyone would have a matched pair of 2+ carat bixbites of fine quality. They're very rare, do not grow that large, and if they do, are typically very included. They may have been synthetic red beryls too.

I have a bixbite, but its a crystal I bought many years ago, and opaque. It's extremely rare, and only comes from one place in the world (wah wah mines in Utah). While very beautiful in fine form, these pieces are usually reserved for museums, and are very expensive.

Here's a photo of a bixbite I took at a museum (sorry its so blurry).

file.jpg

She comes from a family that has some pretty incredible pieces, so I would be shocked if they were not real. They may have been included, cut for spread, or not a perfect match, so I can't attest to whether or not they were of "fine quality" since they were earrings. They had a really amazing and striking glow.

Thank you for your picture! That is exactly the kind of incredible glow these studs had. In a weird way, it reminds me of the glow of a paraiba. I would gladly take even a tiny red beryl if it had that glow.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
JStar, LD, Chrono, Barrett, and TL, thank you!

I'll shoot Brad an email now. I'll keep you all posted when I hear back! :appl:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might be wrong but I've never seen Bixbite glow. It's always a lovely raspberry colour but glowing like a Paraiba? I haven't seen it do that.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Greg and LD!

Greg--I'll definitely check it out. Thank you!

LD--Do you have any suggestions for telling Pezzotaite or synthetics from bixbite? If you have any guidelines or suggestions, I'd love to here them!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Buy from a red beryl collector if possible..not a gemstone seller. Those who collect red beryl mineral specimens tend to have or know where good cut gems are and they are typically much more reliable than gem dealers who sell "red beryl"

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Two years ago I had someone look for me in Tucson--two gems were suggested, each just over 1 ctw. "Fine" stones. If memory serves, 11-14K. More than I wanted to spend so I declined.

Let us know what you find.

cheers--Sharon

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondcut|1381323469|3534709 said:
Multicolour sells a lot of Bixbite, although it mostly included. Am I right to assume that it's normal for Bixbite? Not sure why anyone will want it in the jewellery.

http://www.multicolour.com/gallery/?/gallery/bixbite/

Like its cousin emerald, yes, it is a highly included gem (type III). However, the red color is highly desirable.

The gem I saw at the museum that I depicted above was absolutely gorgeous, and my photo cannot convey its true beauty. I have to go back there with a better camera. Unfortunately, the vast majority of bixbite isn't as fine, nor nearly as large.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
douglasheld|1383480291|3549462 said:
I am thinking of selling a bixbite gem and searched this morning also, for any merchant who appears to be selling genuine ones.

I found in Germany, Cox Gems. He has two in the €2500 range. One is large, the other small and clear.
http://koxgems.com/index.php?keyword=bixbite&limitstart=0&option=com_virtuemart&view=category&lang=en

Wow, 2400 euros for a stone that is a tiny bit larger than a third of a carat. :shock:

One can only imagine how expensive they are in similar quality above a half carat and a carat, as the price must exponentially increase at those sizes.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
One should also watch out for epoxy use as an engancement in red beryl. I've learned it was a fairly common practice. Here are some un-treated red beryls I recently acquired. The round is 2.95mm, and the oval is 3.95 x 3.92 mm.

_11528.jpg

_11529.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Xrisus, yours look quite lovely. But now I've got to wondering, based on the prices of the bixbites posted earlier in the thread, how do they compare in color and price to rubies? I'm assuming the prices on the ones for sale shown earlier are so ridiculous as to be laughable?

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
I think that to a degree, red beryl suffers a similar paradigm to cuprian tourmalines. Some of these tourmalines have some trace copper content to be labeled a "Paraiba" and the price can be all over the place. Usually astronomically high for a stone of *meh* saturation and glow. I think the rarity of red beryl makes it so that red beryl pricing can be similar; all over the map as the supply/demand ratio is so skewed. Steve Perry does have some nice red beryl, and I think that his prices are reasonable. He does fully disclose his red beryls on his site are epoxy treated. He stated that often the mine owner would have this done wherever he had the stones faceted. I managed to obtain my untreated red beryl from him as he was gracious enough to go through his vault for me. Each of my stones were much less than $500 each...much much less.
I'm no professional, but I don't think that the finest red beryl could hold a candle to the finest ruby. Of course each mineral has examples that are more opaque and included, but I think apples to apples I personally prefer ruby. I'll try to snap some photos of my red beryls next to some rubies I have to at least provide a pictorial contrast between the two. But you are right, a clean bright red beryl of the right hue can look like a ruby, at least color-wise. Wow, longest post ever by me...phew!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Xrisus|1383533620|3549847 said:
I think that to a degree, red beryl suffers a similar paradigm to cuprian tourmalines. Some of these tourmalines have some trace copper content to be labeled a "Paraiba" and the price can be all over the place. Usually astronomically high for a stone of *meh* saturation and glow. I think the rarity of red beryl makes it so that red beryl pricing can be similar; all over the map as the supply/demand ratio is so skewed. Steve Perry does have some nice red beryl, and I think that his prices are reasonable. He does fully disclose his red beryls on his site are epoxy treated. He stated that often the mine owner would have this done wherever he had the stones faceted. I managed to obtain my untreated red beryl from him as he was gracious enough to go through his vault for me. Each of my stones were much less than $500 each...much much less.
I'm no professional, but I don't think that the finest red beryl could hold a candle to the finest ruby. Of course each mineral has examples that are more opaque and included, but I think apples to apples I personally prefer ruby. I'll try to snap some photos of my red beryls next to some rubies I have to at least provide a pictorial contrast between the two. But you are right, a clean bright red beryl of the right hue can look like a ruby, at least color-wise. Wow, longest post ever by me...phew!

Might be long, but very helpful. Thank you!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red beryl is beautiful IF it's clear and well saturated. It has a colour that I haven't seen in a Ruby. It's more pink and raspberry in colour (which of course in corundum most people would call sapphire).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful red bixbite, Xrisus. Yes, a fine quality red bixbite is a sight to behold with a red that is very intense. Unfortunately, this material is indeed rare, tends to be small and is more often than not, quite included. I agree that one has to be aware that a lot of this material has been clarity enhanced to look more attractive.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Your 2 are so nice, Xrisus. Thanks for sharing photos. I haven't seen red beryl in person, but your pics show that inimitable beryl glowy quality. Beautiful in red. You seem to be one of the few who has managed to contact Steve Perry. Wish he'd update his website.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Xrisus, your bixbite is so lovely. We seem to have some of the same loves! Will you be setting it?

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Indylady-Indeed we do seem to have similar tastes and proclivities! If you happened to just buy an emerald green demantoid on Litnon it would crack me up. I saw it there for a day or two, then it sold.

Just to satisfy anyones curiosity, I'll attach some pictures of my red beryl with a couple rubies. In full disclosure I do not have great rubies, but it at least lends to some sort of comparison. This first ruby is a 6mm round Madagascan ruby.

_11593.jpg

_11594.jpg

_11595.jpg

_11596.jpg

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
...and why not, two of my better (albeit small) mineral specimens of red beryl.

_11602.jpg

_11603.jpg

_11604.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results