shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you have a bowl of "fish gravel"... faceters, anyone?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I tripped over the picture this afternoon and roared with laughter so I thought others might enjoy it ;))

For the uninitiated, fish gravel is the CS equivalent of diamond's "frozen spit" - though I understand a stone can end up in the bowl for all sorts of reasons (nasty surprises) during cutting as well.

So... does anyone actually have fishies living in splendour? :lol:

fish-gravel.jpg

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
Yes, having come home with rocks in my pocket my whole life, the fish tank has always been the natural place to put the smaller ones. Mostly quartz in there, but since finding CS's they have gotten some nice new furniture. A 6+ct. Montana went in there a few weeks ago, cracked up bad in the kiln. Sad, but it's good to keep around as decoration and as a reminder...

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
When I was 7-10 ish years old I bought tons of cheap crystals, coloured stones in weird cabbed shapes and a few faceted stuff. If we had fish the treasure would be all theirs ;-) I'd be scared to put the sharper cyrstals with them though.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fish gravel = learning stones.

I've bought quite a bit of "fish gravel" over the years. I wish I had pricescope when I first started collecting over two decades ago. Most of my fish gravel now goes to my daughter to play with. If she loses a stone, I'm not losing sleep over it.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Ephsea - Mostly quartz in there, but since finding CS's they have gotten some nice new furniture.
:lol:

A 6+ct. Montana went in there a few weeks ago, cracked up bad in the kiln. Sad, but it's good to keep around as decoration and as a reminder...
Oh no! I'm so sorry. Were you cooking it to get better colour or as part of some PMC jewellery or something?

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
Sapphires are cooked to dissolve silk. Color change is just a side-effect that we've learned to manipulate a bit with atmosphere. It was only rough with windows cut in for viewing, Jerry wasn't sure it was worth cutting after viewing the silk. That's the story of a fishbowl gem. Oh, and Ebay mistakes. And what's "PMC"?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, had to go get lunch :lickout: so now I'm typing one-handed.

Ah well.. I'm sorry it didn't turn out the way you hoped.

PMC is Precious Metal Clay - for those a bit more adventurous than wire work but don't ant to get to full on sawing and soldering.
What it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_clay
Some jewellery examples on Google images.

Since you have a kiln it ought to be right up your alley!

Pictures of your fish tank? :Up_to_something:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
LoversKites|1411053179|3753150 said:
When I was 7-10 ish years old I bought tons of cheap crystals, coloured stones in weird cabbed shapes and a few faceted stuff. If we had fish the treasure would be all theirs ;-) I'd be scared to put the sharper cyrstals with them though.
LOL! Time for a new pet? They could probably learn to avoid the sharp bits ;))

TL said:
I've bought quite a bit of "fish gravel" over the years. I wish I had pricescope when I first started collecting over two decades ago. Most of my fish gravel now goes to my daughter to play with. If she loses a stone, I'm not losing sleep over it.

So do I!!! That's very generous TL, how old is your daughter?... I'm sure that your jewellery box is a constant fascination for her so I guess giving her her own stash is the only way out ;-)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1411097208|3753531 said:

TL said:

So do I!!! That's very generous TL, how old is your daughter?... I'm sure that your jewellery box is a constant fascination for her so I guess giving her her own stash is the only way out ;-)

She's 11, but she'll one day inherit all my gems/jewelry. I have to get her started on appreciating them early. ;))

I have two boys also, but they could care less about gems/jewelry. They get more excited over gaming systems. :knockout: :rolleyes:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1411133945|3753685 said:

TL said:

She's 11, but she'll one day inherit all my gems/jewelry. I have to get her started on appreciating them early. ;))

I have two boys also, but they could care less about gems/jewelry. They get more excited over gaming systems. :knockout: :rolleyes:

Hey TL: don't write them off just yet! As you know, I have two boys and I'm trying to instill the knowledge and respect for stones hoping that they will pick from mine for an engagement ring some day. Yeah, they are young. Yeah, they roll their eyes at me. But one can hope, right? :praise:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that picture Starzin!

BTW here are my first ever two projects I made with PMC - copper and fine silver 99.9%

art_clay_0.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1411140248|3753753 said:
TL|1411133945|3753685 said:

TL said:

Hey TL: don't write them off just yet! As you know, I have two boys and I'm trying to instill the knowledge and respect for stones hoping that they will pick from mine for an engagement ring some day. Yeah, they are young. Yeah, they roll their eyes at me. But one can hope, right? :praise:

Well, my boys do play with diamonds in Minecraft, and my son asked me to see a real emerald the other day when he saw, "Oz, the Great and Powerful." He said, "KEEEWWWWLLLL!!!!" :lol:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
LD :wavey:

I loved the picture too - I imagine it has been saved a few times ;))

I think I saw these in the Hangout handmade thread but didn't recognise the ring for what I think it is. Did you use one of those scribbly pen/injection thingummies? It is sooo well polished! How did you get in all the nooks and crannies or did the tumbler do that?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock

Oh verrrry wise.

LOL! You never know... I seemed to remember you have the boys but didn't realise you had a daughter also. Are the boys older or younger? Ha! Just saw your latest comment and I'm guessing younger. Wait a few years and introduce them to the microscope - maybe you'll get a budding gemologist ;))
=================

(MB) Hey TL: don't write them off just yet! As you know, I have two boys and I'm trying to instill the knowledge and respect for stones hoping that they will pick from mine for an engagement ring some day. Yeah, they are young. Yeah, they roll their eyes at me. But one can hope, right? :praise:

(TL) Well, my boys do play with diamonds in Minecraft, and my son asked me to see a real emerald the other day when he saw, "Oz, the Great and Powerful." He said, "KEEEWWWWLLLL!!!!" :lol:

Priceless!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
=================

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results