shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you do your gemstone pictures with a tripod?

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Do you do your gemstone pictures with a tripod?

I know some of you get great photos with your cell phones. My cell is ancient (truly ancient) so that won't work. I take my photos with a Cannon Powershot, which has been working o.k. but lately I've gotten even more blurry pictures so I recently got a mini-tripod (Pedco Ultrapod) as per a friends suggestion.

Comments and or hints on how to use it are welcome.

Thanks.

bobsiv

Rough_Rock
Trade
I use a tripod. I'd recommend getting a little cheap remote, otherwise you end up shaking the camera so much when you hit the shutter that the tripod doesn't help much. Also, with the tripod you can use less light, smaller apertures, and longer exposures which will often give a more professional look and increase the depth of field.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I do. DH has a teeny tiny tripod that I use w/my Cannon. I have really unsteady hands & a tripod is necessary. Interesting tips, Bobsiv, thanks -- I'll keep that in mind; have had an awful time taking good photos lately.

--- Laurie

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I just tried it. It works awesome !

Can you point me to an example of a remote, Bob? Are remotes camera specific?

bobsiv

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yeah, the remotes are camera specific. I just searched 'canon powershot remote' on Amazon and this came up:

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Replacement-PowersShot-MagicFiber-Microfiber/dp/B008JGF2BY/ref=sr_1_10?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1393260351&sr=1-10&keywords=canon+powershot+remote+control

I use a similar one for my Nikon. The wired ones would work also. If you are using a long exposure time (more than 1/20th or so) then the remote isn't as crucial, but it will always help you get slightly sharper photos.

Also, I recommend manual focus using the liveview screen on the camera if possible. Autofocus often has a hard time with gems I've found.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much, Bob! I really appreciate it. Very inexpensive, too, as was my tripod (which is a fantastic help)!

Yes, the autofocus does seem to struggle with gems.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results