shape
carat
color
clarity

'Desirable' 38M dlr pink diamond up for auction

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GENEVA (AFP) – Auctioneers Sotheby's said Monday that a rare pink diamond valued at up to 38 million dollars (28 million euros) would go on sale in Geneva next month, dubbing it one of the "world's most desirable stones."

The 24.78 carat Fancy Intense Pink Diamond mounted on a ring comes from a private collection, the auction house said.

The gemstone, rated among a type that accounts for just two percent of diamonds, was last seen on the market about 60 years ago when it was sold by legendary US jeweller Harry Winston.

"During my 35-year career at Sotheby?s I have had the opportunity to examine many magnificent and rare gemstones and, put simply, this stone is one of the most desirable diamonds I have ever seen," said David Bennett, chairman for Europe and the Middle East at Sotheby?s international jewellery department.

"What makes it so immensely rare is the combination of its exceptional colour and purity with the classic emerald-cut -- a style of cutting normally associated with white diamonds," he added.

Sotheby's gave a pre-sale estimate of 27 to 38 million dollars for the fancy pink diamond, which will go under the hammer on November 16.

Blue, pink and green coloured diamonds are currently the most sought-after gemstones in auctions, according to the auction house.

Several elite auctioneers including rivals Christie's hold glittering jewellery sales every year in the western Swiss city's luxury hotels during one week in spring and autumn.

bigpinkdiamond.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was hoping to find some bigger pics of it, its quite nice :bigsmile:

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is truly beautiful. :love: As the article states, it has such a pure pink hue with very good saturation for a FCD, plus very good cutting which we don't see too often in huge FCDs due to carat weight preservation.

Better text my rich Saudi prince BF to submit his bid for the auction. :devil: :bigsmile:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Oh my!

And that exclamation, sadly, is the only way I could ever associate "my" with that stone.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it's certainly prettier than the Whittelsbach and if this reaches 38M, then it will be the most expensive piece of jewelry ever auctioned.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know what? I thought it all out. If 100 of us chipped in about 38,000 we could own it! :bigsmile:

The only thing is I get dibbs for visitation during New Years. :tongue:

-A

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Watch those decimal points A, it would take 1000 of us.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Oh, now don't you guys go bidding against me, that puppy is MINE
:lol: :lol:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid said:
Watch those decimal points A, it would take 1000 of us.

Yeah! Thats what I meant!! [I can count y'all] (we don't have to tell the other 900 folk what they're giving money for, do we?)

-A

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
It would be antithetical to the whole Pricescope M.O. We should be able to find the same thing or better for 80% less!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid said:
It would be antithetical to the whole Pricescope M.O. We should be able to find the same thing or better for 80% less!

Vapid, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, so only $7.6 million, I think we can all swing that.

And if we don't LOVE it, Gene can recut it into an asscher for us! :bigsmile:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
WOW WEEEEEEEEE :cheeky: :lickout: I think my heart literally stopped beating when I saw that ring...oh how i wish...now i'm off to find a pink emerald cut sapphire.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Ok. I don't ask for much. Really. But could somebody pleeeeeease buy that for me? Pretty please?? It would look so good on my hand and I reeeaaaaally want it. There'll be some yummy baked goodies and a really lovely, thoughfully written thank you card in it for you :naughty: Go oooooooon. Do your good deed for the day.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Do you think Bill Gates' education foundation would donate the money to help with teacher morale? Frankly, I think it would do wonders for teachers in the classroom. :bigsmile:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
OK, I'm sitting in my chu laughing myself silly over some of the comments you folks posted, all while drooling over that diamond. I'm sure glad no one can see me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
That pink diamond is something else! :love: I think it would make the perfect accent stone for my itty bitty spess. :naughty: All I have to do is hit every lotto in the states...it's practically mine! :lol:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too small. I won't be bidding. I need something at least over 30ct. :naughty:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Curious that such an amazing stone doesn't have a name.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds said:
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too small. I won't be bidding. I need something at least over 30ct. :naughty:

Too small? then halo it! I would suggest a triple halo so you can get adequate finger coverage :bigsmile:

-A

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian said:
LovingDiamonds said:

Too small? then halo it! I would suggest a triple halo so you can get adequate finger coverage :bigsmile:

-A

Brilliant idea - think I'll contact Lanbo4 to see if he can modify his triple halo setting. :loopy:

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I really don't care much about this one, color is not good enough. However, if my hubby insist on getting it for my upcoming birthday, I will take it. :D :D :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results