shape
carat
color
clarity

Demantoid decision

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
At Richard Hughes' prompting I am now in possession of the demantoid I use as my avatar. Here comes the dilemma.

I loved cushion cuts and really wanted a cushion-cut demantoid. However, I knew that this particular demantoid is very, very deep, making it face up much smaller than its 1.75 (thereabouts) carat size at 6.38 x 6.36 x 5.1 mm. It's a gorgeous stone, but I'm wondering if I should keep it?

Looking through the Palagems database, they seem to have a few ovals that would work, such as this one:

9426.jpg

In comparison, this oval is 1.53 carats and 7.55 x 6.56 x 3.82 mm. (Plus it has my horsetail...assuming the stone is still available.)

So, in the end, I'm trying to figure out if I should keep the cushion even though it faces up so small, since when it's set no one will be able to tell it's a cushion anyway or...

See if I can get a larger stone in a shape that may not like as much, assuming that I'll grow to like the shape because it will make for a more substanstial ring. Opinions?

Here's a picture of the stone upside down. You can see how deep it is.

demantoidsidesm.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well... it''s not just that the squareish one is small, but it is also dark - same as deep cut diamonds. Since demantoids are supposed to be brilliant, this does not sound as the most desirable treat, given choice. For this, the oval makes serious competition - it must be quite bright if the picture is good evidence. IMO, at least.

Sure isn''t one of just the right shape & everything at Pala ?

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe a trip to Fallbrook would help you decide
1.gif
. How hard is it for you to fly or drive to San Diego or Orange County?

Georg

Rough_Rock
Hest,..
Let your heart choose the right one!,..
As Elmo says , It may be a good idea for you to see more stones and compare before you do that,..

If I was buying Demantoid , I would question my self why am I buying it . Invesment addition to my collection or for jewelry use??
If it is for use in jewelry , than you need to look at the size face up has to have a nice color and cut,... if it is an investment, in my opinion it should have the signature horsetail inclusion and as deep color as you can get and cut closest to perfection as you can find . I would also like to see size over 2 carats,..

As you possibly know colored gems are often cut deeper. This will improve the color and brilliance I don''t think there is anything wrong with deeper cuts as long as they are not extremely deep,.. and in order to judge this, you need to see more stones
I have a feeleing you will go for the cushion anyway,.. why? they are harder to find of this quality aren''t they?
If you are buying deeper cut gem you can ask for discount ,.. Thell the seller that Georg said so,..
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The oval looks better each time I look at it! There is some logic to going over 2 carats and there is a 2.15 cts round marvel there... if you want it that way. But since demantoid is not exactly paving the streets, 1.5 carat is fine too
2.gif
as long as color, a little brysolite and brilliance is there it's a gem allright.

7212.jpg
8122.jpg
8194.jpg

cushion 1.63 cts cushion 1.42 another 1.51 cts

I wish the first picture was on the same scale as the others...and that it showed inclusions better. Of all the cushion demantoids posted by Pala, this one appears ridiculously perfect! The next one (1.42) appears about as colorful and a tad larger... the other one got posted for color refference but somehow the photographer had it shown in a different mood (yellowish and not as bright mood that is). What can I say, wish I could grab them from behind the screen and line them up on the keyboard !
5.gif
'Bet there is more in stock.

Both seem to shout for a pair of small diamonds to become rings together, unless a round demantoid with two rounds sounds at least as nice
2.gif
Have you seen that 2.15 round !?

Ooooooh Hest! You've got a taugh one to crack here...

You know this family photo, no ?

demantoid_suite.jpg

I wander where did the two cushion to the left go ? The one in the back seems as nicely colored and bright as the poster kid in the center (they say: "the ideal body color would be the center stone [...] but lighter tones show demantoid fire to better effect"). The old-mine like in the middle seems to have a charming shape going for it...

Anyway, it may be quite hard to produce a photographic line up like this with the cushion candidates, but if you can drive by to see them the sight souds very much worth it. IMO as usual, of course.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys.

Val, there''s something about the 1.63 I don''t like, but the other two I inquired about and they were actually both out on memo. I was also going to see if either one had come back yet.

I don''t think I can afford a 2.15! I also don''t like rounds. My current cushion has a nice emerald green to it, but it really is brighter than it looks in the avatar. Richard said that if I want a lot of dispersions I''d have to go with a more medium green, and I really want a more emerald green.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see... well, your comment reminds me that these stones that look clearly "dark" in photos would only ocasionally have the same look in person (diffuse or low light, closed setting...). That was the one detail I would have looked for with the respective cushion in hand
9.gif

"Emerald green" color with no yellowish cast sounds very nice for demantoid. If you know the respective stone qualifyies, well, what more remains to be said
2.gif
- "show me the ring" perhaps.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Yeah. It''s really a size matter right now. I''d *like* to have a visible horsetail as well, but I just don''t know if we can pull it off!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every time you say "horsetail" I think of this one ... had to post !

(the seller "Gemline" mentioned it some time ago around here)

9caratDemantoidGemline.jpg

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
This is one I always thought was cool. Unfortunately, I can''t seem to find my favorite horsetail picture, which has a lovely, curved cluster.

demantoid6.jpg

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/16/2005 2:51:23 PM
Author: Hest88
Yeah. It's really a size matter right now. I'd *like* to have a visible horsetail as well, but I just don't know if we can pull it off!
If a demantoid is something you've wanted a while, in a way I hate to give up on something like the horsetail
1.gif

I thought that 1.53 looked pretty good in the photo. Also, of the stones of theirs I've been interested in and looked at most were out on memo when I first inquired. I'm not positive it works this way but I expect they welcome having the stones out on view, less chance to sell one when it's back at home
1.gif
. So don't necessarily give up on others that are out on memo.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again everyone, especially to Elmo who re-reminded me how much I wanted a horsetail. I''m seeing if I can have the oval (from my first post) brought in so I can compare it to the cushion. I should then be able to make my decision this weekend.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I promise to say nothing more on this. But I was browsing the Collector's Corner there (looking for a nice $600 colored stone for that other thread) and on the third page or so is a 3.3 carat cushion that looks like the big daddy of the one in your avatar. Including horsetails
1.gif
. The price there was $13k so I expect that actual selling price from the folks here isn't too much different than average for a Pricescope engagement diamond.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Elmo. I saw that one, but it''s more than I can spend right now!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Quick update. Due to various factors, including fog, the oval I asked about a week ago Monday just got to my DH''s work today. He says he''s very impressed and that it looks much better than the picture. Of course, I have a business dinner tonight and won''t be able to see it until late tonight!!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
how exciting hest! i hope you will give a report of the stone as soon as you can..........

raddygast

Shiny_Rock
Now that I''ve found my own stone, I am suddenly intensely interested in everybody else''s gem hunts. And in the past three or four days, the pics in this thread have piqued my interest in green. I was always a red, blue, and purple guy. But the 1.53 pala oval you posted is so utterly lime jell-o green that I cannot deny its beauty. I want one!

Let us know how this works out, and post post post post some pics.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/25/2005 7:35:25 PM
Author: raddygast
Now that I''ve found my own stone, I am suddenly intensely interested in everybody else''s gem hunts. And in the past three or four days, the pics in this thread have piqued my interest in green. I was always a red, blue, and purple guy. But the 1.53 pala oval you posted is so utterly lime jell-o green that I cannot deny its beauty. I want one!

Let us know how this works out, and post post post post some pics.
Uh oh, Raddy''s got it bad, been bitten by the highly contagious coloredstonebug, side effect is unquenchable desire for more color, more stones, oh wait, I resemble that remark.
emcrook.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Arrghhhh! I''m so annoyed now. I did get the 1.53 oval, and it''s gorgeous. And "jell-o green" as Raddy described. But it''s actually too jell-o now. My avatar stone is more of an emerald green, which appeals to me more. The oval looks almost like a plastic bauble next to it, even though intellectually I recognize it''s loveliness. This is so annoying! I''ll check it out in sunlight later today I guess. Maybe I really was just meant to buy my avatar stone, even if it''s deep.

I''ll keep you posted.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2005 9:58:28 AM
Author: Hest88

I did get the 1.53 oval, and it''s gorgeous. And ''jell-o green'' as Raddy described. But it''s actually too jell-o now. My avatar stone is more of an emerald green, which appeals to me more.
Buyer''s remorse by any chance ?
31.gif

Sorry, but I have no idea what the jelly-something looks like... does that mean that the stone looks non-brilliant and just plain transparent ? Or that the color (brilliance & All) is so vivid it looks fake
9.gif

raddygast

Shiny_Rock
I think she means that the tone is too light.

Remember, "emerald green" is probably as poorly defined as "pigeon''s blood red" or "cornflower blue."
Also, perhaps your avatar stone is actually technically too dark, i.e. medium dark, while this new one is the perfect "medium". Was it described to you in terms of color before it was sent?

I like the look of its picture quite a bit, but of course it''s your taste, so you should be happy with it. But promise to spend at least a day or two; carry it around with you in some safe but convenient case that you can pull out of your pocket or purse and look at under different lighting conditions. Two days really made a difference in my own opinion on the spinel. It wasn''t exactly as I had hoped, but now I think I like it even more than what I thought I was seeking.

katbadness

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/25/2005 10:58:39 PM
Author: Matata

Uh oh, Raddy''s got it bad, been bitten by the highly contagious coloredstonebug, side effect is unquenchable desire for more color, more stones, oh wait, I resemble that remark.
emcrook.gif
Hahahaha... Yeah.. I know that bug quite well myself...
9.gif

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Would the color that Hest is looking for be more like that of the ideal tsavorite?

Other than, I assume, chemical content, what is the difference between the tsavorite and the dematoid?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone. I''m at an offsite today, which makes it really difficult to evaluate the two demantoids!

Velouria, an emerald green is actually the most coveted of demantoid colors as it is with tsavorites, but that''s not why I prefer the other one. The deeper green just speaks to me more. As I stare at the two of them together I can''t even tell anymore if the cushion is more emerald green or just more olive. It''s just a very different shade. It''s like the oval is Jell-o green and the cushion is grass green, if that makes sense.

Raddy, I was unable to speak to Pala directly. I worked through Wink''s assistant actually, which made it more difficult to pin down the differences between the stones. On Pala site it''s described as an "Intense green." Indeed, it''s very electric. I actually wish I could talk to an expert to give me their opinion. I just don''t know anymore if what I''m seeing--like your spinel experience--is really what I *should* be seeing or not.

raddygast

Shiny_Rock
Hmm. That''s why I went with Richard Sherwood. I had the confidence that he knew what he was talking about with respect to ideal colors for various stones.

In the end though, it isn''t about what some manual or handbook says is ideal. It''s about what moves you the most. Enjoy those stones for a few more days and you''ll probably know which one you can''t part with, at the end of it all.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Enjoy those stones for a few more days and you''ll probably know which one you can''t part with, at the end of it all.

good advice raddy. it will all work out hest!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the moral support. Honestly, Raddy, I didn''t even think of Richard. I think of him as an appraiser, but I didn''t realize he could sell stones as well. I don''t think the issue would have been as great if I hadn''t picked the time when Wink was going on vacation, though.

Anyway, you''re all right. I''ll have to stare at the two of them until one really jumps out. Oddly enough, cushion is starting to look larger now!

This isn''t good lighting, but you can see the color difference between the two:

demcomparisonsmall.jpg

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Two more, just to annoy you further w/ my indecision. One fuzzy, one with flash.

demcomparison2sm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results