shape
carat
color
clarity

Demantoid 3-Stone Ring Project

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Heck, I thought I posted this in Colored Stones. I''ll get it moved...

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Anyway....

Wink sent this lovely hand drawing. My comments involved making sure the "crescents" flowed more smoothly along the perimeter of the stones and to show less shoulder, per the original image. I definitely want to keep the Victorian look of this, so I want to reproduce it as closely as possible. I like the sides they drew as well, but I find it a bit difficult to tell how many of comments were due merely to the imprecision of the sketch vs. what they think the ring should really look like. Wink sent my comments in and we''ll see what the CAD ends up looking like. So, more to come.

ringdrawing2.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad to see you posting about your dems again, I can''t wait to see the ring.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like its going to be a stunning ring
30.gif

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
I really like that design, it''s a perfect match with the demantoids.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Great idea! When going with three colored stones in a ring (instead of one with a white diamond on each side) it''s always good to choose more brilliant materials like demantoids, spinels etc. The effect is usually more interesting than with some more "quiet" stones.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Poor demantoids! Relegated to the dark belly of a drawer for 4 years...

I like the design Wink sent you. Considering the colour of the garnets, it is really going to pop.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2009 7:11:39 AM
Author: Lady_Disdain
Poor demantoids! Relegated to the dark belly of a drawer for 4 years...
I know! I should be hauled off for gem abuse. What''s worse is that the larger dem I brought prior to buying these is nowhere near close to being set. In part it''s because I haven''t found a ring design that really sings to me yet.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Hest, the design almost makes me weep. The combination of those demantoids and the lovely antique design is unbelievable. It''s so beautiful. I can''t wait to see this project completed. BTW, you can always send any unset gems to me. I promise to bring them out everyday for the appreciation that they deserve.
9.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Chrono!

It has been well over a year since I extracted my dems from the safe deposit box and what I''d forgotten is how glossy they are. I gave my mom some tsavs and those are really sparkly bu they don''t have the smooth, otherworldly glassy sheen of the dems. They''re just so *bright* in a totally different way.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous design. We don''t see nearly enough demantoids around here.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
love, Love, LOVE IT!!! There aren''t enough retro style repros around! You didn''t mention the metal Wink will be using? I''m hoping for a high carat yellow gold?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely design! It looks very 19th century inspired.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice. I think the profile of the ring is going to be a stunner. Then of course the stones will be gorgeous too. Congrats on getting underway with your project. TFS!!
9.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2009 4:46:35 PM
Author: Hest88
Thanks Chrono!

It has been well over a year since I extracted my dems from the safe deposit box and what I''d forgotten is how glossy they are. I gave my mom some tsavs and those are really sparkly bu they don''t have the smooth, otherworldly glassy sheen of the dems. They''re just so *bright* in a totally different way.
Would you say they have a "greasy shine"? I use that term to describe how diamonds reflect light i.e. their luster; I believe demantoids can look very similar in that regard.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2009 2:53:35 AM
Author: ma re
Would you say they have a 'greasy shine'? I use that term to describe how diamonds reflect light i.e. their luster; I believe demantoids can look very similar in that regard.
Huh, I never thought of it as "greasy" mainly because I think of something greasy as obscuring light. However, there's certainly the appearance of an almost physical luster--that, I agree, almost looks superimposed upon the stone--that, yes, is similar to diamonds. I do think that the word "luster"--such as the luster of pearls--is a really good term for it.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock

CAD''s here!

I asked Wink to go back and ask them to see if they could lower the head more, though. I don''t like my rocks to sit up high.

Hestdaisy copy.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same here, I like it when the stone is set so low, the culet is almost touching my finger.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice CADS! I also like things to sit low as possible (because I''m clumsy
3.gif
)
I can''t wait to see this complete!!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Oh the ring is going to be beautiful. I agree with lowering it a little. I can''t wait to see the final product. On the SMTR forum there was a girl with a purple sapphire halo that wink did and it was stunning. I think I might have to keep him in mind for future projects!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow, gorgeous ring that is!
30.gif
Can''t believe it only took you 4 years to get it together
41.gif

-A

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s going to be a beautiful ring.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all!

Date: 12/5/2009 8:35:37 PM
Author: Upgradable
You didn''t mention the metal Wink will be using? I''m hoping for a high carat yellow gold?
Upgradable, sorry, I didn''t see this when you posted it. Actually, it''s going to be in plat. I agree that gold would be preferable, and indeed I think there''s something really gorgeous about the contrast gold can create in a vintage-y setting, but unfortunately I look horrible in yellow. So, since all my jewelry is silvery, this one must be too.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock

Ring's done and we have photos and a video! (Unfortunately, I can't watch the vid until I get home tonight. Wahhhhh!!!!)

As I look at this I realize we didn't actually get the head lowered in the final ring, but at this point I'm not waiting any longer and I'd hate to compromise the integrity of the ring.

Video:
http://www.screencast.com/t/NTUxYjc3ZmIt

demwink1.jpg

stci

Ideal_Rock
OMG! This ring is TDF! Congrats!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results