shape
carat
color
clarity

Cuprian Tourmaline for an engagement ring

Miathan

Rough_Rock
Hello Eveyone -

I'll spare you my life story but I am new to this forum, not really into gem stones and what have you... however I do love my girlfriend very, very much and intend to propose to her on a beautiful sandy beach in Cuba sometime in early May 2015.

For a long time I thought I was going to buy a diamond for her, but she adores teal as a colour and in my research I have fallen in love with the beautiful neon blue/green tourmalines from Brazil, Mozambique and Nigeria.

I've seen that you are all super helpful, lovely people and there have been some success stories in the past so I was hoping you might be willing to help me out too! To save some questioning, here are the stats:

- I am not concerned with a specific shape as long as it will work for an engagement ring (tear, square, circle, oval). I plan for the finished ring to be a simple platinum band with a single stone setting, probably clawed
- It doesnt have to be Paraiba necessarily, but of course I'd like it to have the signature glow - blueish green leaning towards blue would be ideal
- Size, anything from 1ct to about 1.5ct would be ideal as it's for everyday wear and dont need it to be too ostentatious. Obviously if a 2ct bargain suddenly appears I wouldn't say no.
- I can go to about $7000 for the right gem (as long as I can put it on my Amex because i dont have that kind of cash lying around!)

Thank you all so much in advance for any help you can give and if you need more infromation then please ask. I'm in the UK so please also excluse delayed responses, and re: that I work for a multinational company so I can easily have things shipped to the US if that's an issue.

Thank you!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Top priority question - is she going to be wearing this ring 24/7 or is she prepared to take it off when at home and baby it when out and about on a regular day? If the former, then a tourmaline e-ring is seriously NOT recommended unless you are willing to go on a hunt to replace it again. Yes, you can insure it but I know that insurance companies will not be able to get you a similar stone. If the latter, then we can continue on. Know that tourmaline is chippy and even if bezeled, it requires gentle wear habits.

Miathan

Rough_Rock
Hello Chrono - thanks very much for the reply.
Yes, despite being a 7.5 I had heard that there might be fragility issues. I am sure she would be more than happy to remove it most of the time - in fact I have already considered something less precious with a similar colour (maybe a coloured zircon) for day-to-day use as a stand in, but I definitely want to get her the real deal if I can!

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I would think babying an engagement ring would become a burden 5, 10, 15 etc... years down the line. I love colored stones, probably more than I should. But when it's time to get engaged I'm going to get my wife to be a diamond, unless she absolutely positively insists on a colored stone of some sort.

But if you're dead set on getting a Tourmaline then a cabochon would be your best bet. However, at the moment I don't know of any top color glowy cabochons or faceted stones for that matter in your price range. Leon Mege seems to have a source for outstanding cabochons, it might be worth contacting him. The last ring I saw on his sight that contained a spectacular Paraiba Cabochon was going for around $13k, IIRC. I posted a picture of it below.

r5798_1_0271_0002wx.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zircon, on a whole, is even less durable as a day to day wear ring stone. Let's go back to square 1.
Is she a diamond girl? Is she expecting a diamond?
If yes, please get the lady a diamond.
If she's open to coloured stones, you can see if there are any blue green sapphires or cabochon tourmaline.

Miathan

Rough_Rock
Thanks both.
Chrono, the zircon doesnt need to be durable, the point was that it could chip and it would be easily replaceable at <$100 values if and whe it becomes necessary.

She's most assuredly not a diamond person and would definitely appreciate the notion of receiving something significantly more unique than a diamond even if it meant not wearing it often, she's a pretty unorthodox lady in that regard.

I'm really looking for anything with a striking teal colour so are there sapphires that would suit?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cuprians are typically clarity enhanced these days, as many have various stress fractures and inclusions. Therefore, that also affects their durability. I have a cuprian, I hardly wear it, as it already has a scratch. :angryfire:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I love the idea of giving an engagement ring with a Paraiba tourmaline. I would heed the advise of the other poster who have told you your fiance will not be able to wear this everyday. Personally, I don't mind having jewelry I don't get to wear. I am very happy to just own it. It gives me great pleasure. My suggestion would be to look for a paraiba, either faceted or cabachon, and buy a swiss blue topaz for the alternate. This color topaz looks just like the best paraiba tourmaline. Zircon is fine as well.

I think you should look for the cuprian before you are discouraged. I don't recommend buying from them, but you could look on JTV.com, as they have some lighter ones from Mozambique and some very expensive ones. Most are heat treated. Post on here for additional advise as I am not the expert in colored stones. I love your idea.

Annette

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like the others have posted, a tourmaline as an e-ring is not recommended. I have a faceted Paraiba tourmaline and I wear it on 'low impact days' only. It is a gorgeous and glowing gem so I can imagine your girlfriend will love it.

You can have a look at Paraiba International. If you choose a cabochon (because of durability), this could be an option (please ask the experts for advice on the quality). The price is USD $3,695.00, but perhaps you can negotiate.

_23853.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is one, idk how good it is as I'm not a paraiba expert but it looked better than the other faceted ones on the site:
http://www.paraibainternational.com/product_info.php?product=4348

In case it's not clear, a ring with that stone is a wear-to-parties ring. You wear it to parties, when you're out to see friends or family (and not doing anything with your hands more difficult than lifting your silverware), and maybe when you are at work–depending on the type of work and how careful you are with your hands (for instance, if you are reaching into drawers all day, leave the ring at home, because you're pretty much guaranteed to bump it while pulling your hand out occasionally). You don't wear it to go shopping (knocking hands on hangars is murder on rings), while at home (unless you have company and aren't running around with dishes), definitely not to sleep or shower or swim in (yep, leave it at home every time you go to the pool or beach). This is a ring that is not worn 90% of the time or more. It's totally doable. BUT I will say that in my experience, the only people willing to treat their rings like this are jewelry people. Most non-jewelry people I know, even if they want something more unique than a diamond ring, still want something they can set and forget. So please discuss it with her and let her make the choice. A ring like this would be stunning and definitely she would be the only one she knows with one like it, but it's her that will be doing the everyday work of it, so needs to be her decision.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Acinom|1415210709|3778068 said:
Like the others have posted, a tourmaline as an e-ring is not recommended. I have a faceted Paraiba tourmaline and I wear it on 'low impact days' only. It is a gorgeous and glowing gem so I can imagine your girlfriend will love it.

You can have a look at Paraiba International. If you choose a cabochon (because of durability), this could be an option (please ask the experts for advice on the quality). The price is USD $3,695.00, but perhaps you can negotiate.
This stone has been bought and returned which is a red flag, I could speculate as to why but I will refrain.

One problem I have with that picture and the video is the white background. Light reflecting off of the white base can make most any stone appear to "glow".

S

SparkliesLuver

GregS said:

This stone has been bought and returned.

I was someone who bought and returned this stone, and I also negotiated the price with Adam. The main reason I returned it is because I realized I wanted a faceted stone instead. The second reason is because I want something a bit larger (as I have large fingers). There was nothing wrong with the cab itself. In fact, if you're interested in seeing my pictures, please let me know as I'd be happy to post them.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1415211720|3778078 said:
GregS said:

This stone has been bought and returned.

I was someone who bought and returned this stone, and I also negotiated the price with Adam. The main reason I returned it is because I realized I wanted a faceted stone instead. The second reason is because I want something a bit larger (as I have large fingers). There was nothing wrong with the cab itself. In fact, if you're interested in seeing my pictures, please let me know as I'd be happy to post them.
I would love to see pictures :bigsmile:

S

SparkliesLuver

haha Here they are. :) Sorry for the slight thread-jack! And I don't know why my images are sideways. Ugh.

The first one is from Adam (of Paraiba International) and the rest are from me. The picture (what Acinom posted) and video on the website make it look like there are black specs in/on it, but that's not the case. There are some inclusions but I didn't think they were distracting - the last picture probably shows them the best.

img_5983.jpg

img_5984.jpg

img_5985.jpg

img_5986.jpg

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
That's a pretty nice stone for the price. I want it!

S

SparkliesLuver

Yes, I thought so too. I'm sure it could be more neon/have more of a glow, but it did have a nice glow (to my eyes), especially for the price.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That is nice, SparkliesLuver, thanks for the photos. Great color in most of them & I know it's hard -- impossible -- to photograph the Paraiba glow, but I think I see what you mean, that it could be a little more. Who's complaining at that price, though?

I second, third, & fourth advice to the OP to talk this over with his fiancee-to-be to make sure she's willing to go for a ring she can only wear on the least "dangerous" occasions. When she does wear it, it will blow her mind & everybody else's, but at the price you pay for a Paraiba, do you want to risk having to replace it? This is my own dream stone of all, but I would not want one in an engagement ring because I'd love it too much to chance damaging it.

You know she loves teal; bright teal stones are all susceptible to chipping. What other colors does she go for? There are some spectacular pink spinels, which make good everyday rings. Sapphires come in a variety of lovely colors including yellow, green, pink, pinkish/orange. We'd be glad to help you find stones in any other colors she might like too.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have your heart set on a paraiba, buy her a diamond band of some description and that is her wear every day ring and when she is dressed up and goes out then she can wear the paraiba as more of a dress occasionally only type ring.

They are beautiful stones, but if she is even remotely like me - I have destroyed a couple of diamonds and several coloured stones and what I mean by destroyed is smashed them to pieces.... if the wearer works with or bumps her hands a lot they are not practical for every day (wear all the time) type wear.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You need to get what you want, first and foremost. I would suggest you get a beautiful cuprian or paraiba, should your budget allow, and then get a cheaper stand in ring for every day wear. I know zircon was already mentioned, but I wanted to mention Swiss Topaz as well, since it is bright blue and very cost effective. Plus it's 8 on the Moh's, and you can potentially get a couple so they are even easier to replace.

Here is a pic of mine from this guy: http://www.acstones.com/default.asp

barry4.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think a Paraiba tourmaline ring would make a great wedding present, not an engagement ring. Who doesn't want a fab right hand ring?

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just my two cents (and this comes from a Paraiba lover). Absolutely, you should get a cuprian engagement ring if that's what you and your fiancee want. :angel:

1. First of all, it is really sweet and thoughtful of you to put so much thought and effort into finding the perfect ring for your fiancee even if it's not the commonly accepted trend (diamonds).
Having said that, personally I would not want a Paraiba as an engagement ring. A wedding present or an anniversary ring, or a RHR --- heck yeah!! But an engagement ring is something I want that lasts and I don't have to be constantly worried about it chipping or breaking. If your fiancee is very careful with her hands and/or is willing to baby the ring very carefully, then you could consider a cuprian. It would be awful if you guys got an amazing cuprian ring but could not wear it or if it chipped, etc. ..

2. Cuprian ring looks too much like a party / cocktail ring.. at least from my perspective. Its glow is super attractive but it also makes it a bit too blingy for everyday wear....but that's just my opinion. Different people will have different views :)

3. Have you also considered Montana sapphire? They have some nice teal colors and sapphire is more durable than a tourmaline. They don't glow the same as cuprians but some have a little silk which has a nice effect. Actually sapphire price could be lower than Paraiba prices these days, and sapphires are much more durable. You can find some more at http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_montana.html
30997.jpg

4. US$7,000 is not that big of a budget if you want to get a very good Paraiba or cuprian, unfortunately the prices have gone up a lot and can cost more per carat than diamond, sapphire etc. Is this amount for the stone only? Also, I believe that if you buy from the US and have it sent to to UK, you may need to research whether you need to pay import/duty tax on it, which could eat up a significant chunk of your budget. Do you have a separate budget for the ring setting? You should budget at least $1-2k for the setting, depending on whether you want a diamond halo, pave, and the type of metal and design, etc. I bring this up since you mentioned it's going on your Amex... Only you know your financial situation and only you can decide how much you want to spend. But.....jewelry is not worth going into any kind of debt for, even for a special piece like an engagement ring.

5. I second Freke's suggestion for topaz as a zircon alternative. You could consider Swiss or sky blue topaz. Or even natural blue topaz like this one below: 482a.jpg

Finally, please take all the advice and opinions provided on here as just that -- the helpful advice and experience of others, as well as their personal opinions. Only you and your fiancee can make the decision on her engagement ring, but hopefully the input here from other PSers can help you make an informed decision on a significant purchase (both in $ amount and in sentimental value). GOOD LUCK! :appl: :wavey:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1415211528|3778073 said:
It's totally doable. BUT I will say that in my experience, the only people willing to treat their rings like this are jewelry people. Most non-jewelry people I know, even if they want something more unique than a diamond ring, still want something they can set and forget. So please discuss it with her and let her make the choice. A ring like this would be stunning and definitely she would be the only one she knows with one like it, but it's her that will be doing the everyday work of it, so needs to be her decision.

Cannot agree more with Distracts' post.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Maybe you can get a smaller cuprian stone and use it as a "surprise stone" in the setting. That may be a way to accomplish 2 goals at once.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Some examples, best I could find for now. The rounds are two different stones about 3.5-3.7 mm. The ovals are a set about 2.7 x 3.7mm and those are sold as a set. I have purchased from the vendor in the past and was happy. The individual rounds are less than $300, similar price for the set of ovals. I will not post the source in case somebody snatches them.

_23873.jpg

_23875.jpg

_23876.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to point out that just because a blue/green tourmaline is copper bearing, doesn't mean it will glow. There is a huge difference between these two stones for example. Both are lovely, but there's a huge difference between both stones, and why one of them will be $$$$$. That being said, I don't think zircon, blue topaz, or any other blue stone can really be compared to a top color paraiba, a regular cuprian perhaps, but not a neon glowing paraiba.

In any case, photos never really convey how truly spectacular the "glow" can be. I just wouldn't overpay for a regular cuprian, as there are beautiful Afghan tourmalines, and other stones, as people mentioned above, that can be just as nice, and not as expensive because they don't have the copper bearing status.

gs4150_1_.jpg

ecce5f1a6e6b3736674ee99804152ba6_1_.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GregS|1415211576|3778075 said:

This stone has been bought and returned which is a red flag, I could speculate as to why but I will refrain.

One problem I have with that picture and the video is the white background. Light reflecting off of the white base can make most any stone appear to "glow".

Really? I think it's the opposite, a very dark or black background can give the appearance of a stone "glowing." This is why I recommend, white or light gray backgrounds in gem photography. I don't have a problem with Adam's photo of that stone actually, and it is what it is, a nice turquoise blue tourmaline, and although I don't see extreme neon color, the color is very pleasant nonetheless. You get what you pay for in this particular case. Throw that in a rose gold setting, and I bet it pops. If you took that same stone and put it against a dark or black background, it would probably look intensely saturated and glowing, much like Leon's cab rings in his videos with black backgrounds.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1415287256|3778548 said:
Really? I think it's the opposite, a very dark or black background can give the appearance of a stone "glowing." This is why I recommend, white or light gray backgrounds in gem photography. I don't have a problem with Adam's photo of that stone actually, and it is what it is, a nice turquoise blue tourmaline, and although I don't see extreme neon color, the color is very pleasant nonetheless. You get what you pay for in this particular case. Throw that in a rose gold setting, and I bet it pops. If you took that same stone and put it against a dark or black background, it would probably look intensely saturated and glowing, much like Leon's cab rings in his videos with black backgrounds.
That's why many of Leon's paraiba rings set lately are in blackened or oxidized metal. The contrast of light against dark allows the paraibas to glow stronger than they normally would if set in a regular metal setting.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
TL, I love the first tourmaline - afghanistan??
:love:
weight?? Really beautiful!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results