shape
carat
color
clarity

CS newbie looking for a green stone

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Hello CSers. I would appreciate any assistance finding a pretty green stone. I'm looking for something that fits the following list in decreasing order of importance:

1. A vivid, beautiful green stone, not too dark, at least 6mm, preferably larger.
2. A durable, clumsy-proof stone.
3. Slight to no inclusions, under $200.
4. Round.

I'm not picky about #3 and #4. For the color, here are several pictures of the shade of green I like. These are PS photos that I've been saving over a looong period of time. I hope they don't mind.
NeonGreen.jpg
February%202010%20046a.jpg
ManhattenGreen.jpg
GAR131s.jpg
I guess I call it "neon green". The first picture is leaning towards my favorite shade, but I'm open to others. If it helps, I love the color of the green traffic signal light. I guess it's most likely a Tsav or a Tourmaline.

My biggest question is, do you have any recommendations on who to ask? Barry already told me no because "he doesn't do this sort of custom cutting". Can you suggest a vender that deals with this kind of request? Is my request just silly? There are so many on the vender list that my head is spinning...Any PSer selling a gem of this color? :???: I set the budget at $200 just because Barry and Bob Kast was within that price range...Am I being ridiculous?

Thanks so much for any help.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
1. A vivid, beautiful green stone, not too dark, at least 6mm, preferably larger.

Tsavorite, Chrome Tourmaline and Emerald are going to be best bets.

2. A durable, clumsy-proof stone.

None of these will fit the bill. They all need to be babied. I only wear my tsavorite e-ring when I'm going out. I'm very gentle on my jewellery and I've still chipped my stone. I would really advise against the tourmaline. There are no truly green stones that have the hardness and durability of things like diamond or corundum.

3. Slight to no inclusions, under $200.

You will find $200 a hard ask for a good colour, cut and no inclusions - you will have to compromise I think. These are all relatively expensive stones. I found a nice 6.5mm tsavorite here, but it's $1,040: http://www.gemfix.com/garnet_tsavorite.html

4. Round.

Shouldn't be a problem.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best way to get good color in a tsavorite for your budget is to get an included and/or smaller than a carat stone. I was pretty lucky to find this stone on ebay from odysseygem, as I rarely see this color/clarity on ebay or anywhere else. It was 81 points and around $100. It's very clean, a slightly bluish green, but it's small. The color screams from a mile away though. I personally like tsavorites that are not a pure green like the round above, but slightly bluish green and medium tone. Others may prefer a more green stone (but I wouldn't want one that verges into yellowish green) and/or a medium dark tone. These photos aren't the most accurate, it's a more bluish green and more saturated in person.

file.jpg

file.jpg

That ebay seller, odysseygem and his sister stores vvs1gem and gemcatalogue, had some round tsavorites, but more of a pure green. You may want to check them out. Not sure if they're in your price range though. Rounds are more of a $$ premium in tsavorite as more rough is wasted to cut one.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Pandora, I was worried about the durability of Tsav and Tourms...Thanks for the heads up. And yikes, $1000? Oh but so pretty!

TL, I actually wouldn't want too much yellow in it either, and I think a hint of blue is just breathtaking. I think the #1 for me is strong saturation. Am I using the term correctly? Basically, something with a strong color, not washed out.
Your ring is stunning!! I'm drooling here! And it doesn't look small at all! Thank you for the ebay vendor list. I already found a few that might work! Is this vender helpful? I'm planning on asking them the same question I asked here, and see if he can pick one that suits me...

Both of you, thank you so much for your help!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
choro72|1329255103|3126250 said:
Pandora, I was worried about the durability of Tsav and Tourms...Thanks for the heads up. And yikes, $1000? Oh but so pretty!

TL, I actually wouldn't want too much yellow in it either, and I think a hint of blue is just breathtaking. I think the #1 for me is strong saturation. Am I using the term correctly? Basically, something with a strong color, not washed out.
Your ring is stunning!! I'm drooling here! And it doesn't look small at all! Thank you for the ebay vendor list. I already found a few that might work! Is this vender helpful? I'm planning on asking them the same question I asked here, and see if he can pick one that suits me...

Both of you, thank you so much for your help!

Thank you. I think the first photo you posted is heavily photoshopped and not representative of the actual color at all. Out of the remaining three you posted, I like the first one the most (the second that you posted above). The Jeff White round is too green for my taste, as I prefer a slightly bluish green, but that preference is subjective (my new favorite word - LOL!). Green is also one of the most difficult stones to photograph, but I find Tan's tsavorites to be very accurate to the videos in his listings.

I buy a lot from Tan, the name of the man that operates those ebay stores, and he sometimes can be lax in responding, but he is a very good and honest seller IMHO.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
A lot of those are nice, but tourmalines are not something I would recommend to anyone who specifically wanted something durable. Also chrome tourms tend to be on the dark side and so hard to find a bright green stones such as the colour the OP was after.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks TL! I just sent him an email *cross fingers*

farmer gal, Thank you! I've been looking at those but they seem a bit dark. Although I hear that Barry's stone tend to be much brighter IRL. He already told me he doesn't have what I'm looking for anyway. Are you going to snag one? :D
As Pandora mentioned, I am quite clumsy but most of all I find that Tsavs pictures are brighter than tourms.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I was thinking about it. My Mom recently gave my sister and I my Dad's wedding ring (he passed away 1 1/2 ago) and we are having the ring melted down to make us both rings out of it. I think I have decided to go with a blue sapphire now as the center because that was his birthstone. I will come back with photos when it is done which will be a while I'm sure, I'm going to look at stones Friday. Hope you find a gorgeous stone :twirl:

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I meant to mention this before but perhaps you should try Swala? That second picture is of vc10um's sugarloaf amethyst and her tsav that she bought from them about 2 years ago. I thought of this the other night and am glad that seeing this thread reminded me of it!

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
farmer gal, what a lovely sentiment. I can't wait to see the result! Is your sister's going to be the same?

Clairitek Thanks for the suggestions! I've loved SWALA since I saw that sugarloaf!

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I think so, it's going to be difficult because we have very different taste :twirl: My Dad's ring had 4 smaller diamond princess cuts and 20 small round brilliant cuts, so we are splitting up the stones evenly. It is a very heavy ring and my dad wore a size 13.5 so there is a lot of gold. We are thinking of doing a bezel kite set sapphire princess in the center, but it's all up in the air :twirl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results