shape
carat
color
clarity

Coloured stones buying in Hong Kong?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am off to Hong Kong for a week to visit my mum, and would be grateful for any tips for good hunting grounds for coloured gems please, if any.

I have planned to visit the Jade Market already, as I have never been there. I ventured into Jade Street during my last 2 visits in 2009 and 2011, however, I managed to miss the Jade Market completely, DOH!!!

Can't remember seeing anything interested when I visited the Stanley Market last time I was there 2 years ago.

Thanks for your help and advice in advance.

DK :))

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I wish I knew. Hong Kong is really amazing though, so have fun on your trip! Maybe Phoenix will chime in? I believe she is in Asia and may have some experience.

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
hi dk,

i am sorry to be debbie downer here but hong kong is NOT generally a good place to buy colored stones. for serious gem collectors, there is so much demand for diamonds, colored diamonds and colored stones that prices are higher than in the u.s. and the supply of colored stones is very uneven, unless you happen be here during some of the international gem fairs. this is where i would strongly suggest you spend your time. the supply of finished jewelry pieces is also very good when sotheby's and christie's hold auctions here.

if you want to see massive bling with mediocre colored stones, you can visit any of the chain jewelry shoppes (chow tai fook, etc). the high-end jewelers in hong kong (ronald abram, mabros, etc) are expensive and specialize more in diamonds. the jade market is best for low-end pearls and more costume-jewelry quality stones, etc. and it is very easy to get ripped off there if you are not familiar with particular vendors, etc. you would NOT expect to get certificates on anything there. as for stanley, i didn't know they even had colored stones and i go there every week!

hope you enjoy your trip, just don't get your hopes up with respect to colored stones.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have fun in HK. HK is quite expensive for diamonds and coloured stones so I would do my homework and compare pricing first.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for slksapphire and Chrono for your advice.

Although I consider myself as a reasonable savvy shopper for pearls, CS is beyond me and shop via my gut feel, as in if I like the look of a stone, I'll buy it if I believe the price is reasonable. :oops:

I am only looking for some inexpensive stones, e.g. a well cut square/octagonal/rectangle amethyst or blue zircon in the right colour, for tension setting in cobalt chrome by Boone, to add to my wardrobe of rings for daily wear.

I shan't be spending a lot of money on a stone, and only have a limited budget of about 150 GBP to spare, and shan't be disappointed if I come home empty-handed, as I can always save the money for something better via one of the recommended CS vendors.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would double check with Boone whether they think zircon and amethyst can handle the tension stress. As far as I know, most tension setters recommend only very clean diamonds and sapphires.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Chrono for the advice.

As far as I am aware, Boone can set a pearl in a helix style setting (I have a pearl in mind, just need to save up for the setting), therefore, I would like to believe he will be able to find suitable settings for amethyst and zircon.

However, I would definitely check with him first, good idea, thanks!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just received a reply from Boone via e-mail, thank you Boone!

He said amethyst, topaz, blue zircon and similar ones will be fine in tension setting, so I shall start with these.

I also love his Sculpted Heart with a ruby heart (in cobalt chrome version), and the Sphere with a round ruby bead, and would like to have one of each in future, probably substituting the round ruby with a cabochon.

Oh the joy of CS hunting/shopping!

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
dk, i'm not sure about the availability of those specific stones at the jade market, but i think you would really enjoy a trip there, especially given your knowledge about pearls. in fact, i'd love to hear what you think of the pearls you see there. i bought a beautiful choker with many strands of freshwater pearls that simply glow ... i love it.

happy travels and i look forward to seeing what you find.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for updating us with such good news! His prices are not expensive and some of the designs are quite interesting; I will consider using Boone for a future project.

glennwhaven

Rough_Rock
The jade market in Hong Kong has its ups and downs. It used to be a large market for genuine trade of jade, but now it's more a tourist attraction than a real market. The jade market has shrunk in Hong Kong and has moved up north to the mainland. So if you are looking to visit Canton Road for jade, may as well go to the jewellery shops on Queen's Road in Central to see what they are like mounted on jewellery. Of course, they are way more expensive than those you would source at the jade market. Just be careful of what you buy though and make sure you buy something not mounted that comes with a HK jade lab certificate. :twirl:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Hi there,

I lived in Asia for several years and did gem shopping in HK at the markets or at the big gem shows a few times. It was when I was pretty brand spanking new to gems. Anyhow for the most part I paid too much to get badly cut and windowed gemstones. Not even very good color. So if you are buying just a few trinkets to remember the trip I think you will be fine. however if you are looking for quality or to get a good price stick with online vendors.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am back, and bagged a few stones while I was out there.

2 from the Jade Market, a ? 2.5ct topaz and an 0.42ct emerald; and I went to a jewellery exhibition and bought a few ruby cabochons (3 round ones and an oval) and a 7mm cushion check-board cut amethyst.

I kicked myself for having bought the topaz at the Jade Market as I could have picked another up at a cheaper price at the show. However, the emerald appeared to have been a good buy.

I ran out of money, otherwise I would have bought an emerald cab to go with the smaller round rubies, and 2 small sapphire cabs to go with oval ruby. Just have to wait another 2 years before I return, and I shall plan my trip around the show again! :naughty:

And I would love to get a neon pink tourmaline, and they had loads of them on sale.

Also bought a 30x loup (10x + 20x) with LED and fluorescence lights at the show, at a much cheaper price than what I could get in the shops, plus a couple of cases to store my little collection.

And there were loads of pearls on sale and I was in pearl heaven. Shame that I did not have enough money to buy more, however, I managed to buy a couple of silver pearl brooches/pendants.

Here is a pic of my little gemstone collection that I have started:

gemstoneshk2013_01.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the colors. Although its often said that it will cost you more to buy in places like Hong Kong, it is fun to come home and have such beautiful mementos of the trip. :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like popping one of those red gummy sweets into my mouth. :rodent:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Swallow whole, don't chew, or it will break your teeth!

DK :lol:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1385812795|3565123 said:
I am back, and bagged a few stones while I was out there.

2 from the Jade Market, a ? 2.5ct topaz and an 0.42ct emerald; and I went to a jewellery exhibition and bought a few ruby cabochons (3 round ones and an oval) and a 7mm cushion check-board cut amethyst.

I kicked myself for having bought the topaz at the Jade Market as I could have picked another up at a cheaper price at the show. However, the emerald appeared to have been a good buy.

I ran out of money, otherwise I would have bought an emerald cab to go with the smaller round rubies, and 2 small sapphire cabs to go with oval ruby. Just have to wait another 2 years before I return, and I shall plan my trip around the show again! :naughty:

And I would love to get a neon pink tourmaline, and they had loads of them on sale.

Also bought a 30x loup (10x + 20x) with LED and fluorescence lights at the show, at a much cheaper price than what I could get in the shops, plus a couple of cases to store my little collection.

And there were loads of pearls on sale and I was in pearl heaven. Shame that I did not have enough money to buy more, however, I managed to buy a couple of silver pearl brooches/pendants.

Here is a pic of my little gemstone collection that I have started:

gemstoneshk2013_01.jpg

Jewellery show? What jewellery show?! I didm't know there was a show in Nov! I'm jealous... =) :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix,

The show was this one, and it was opened to the public:

http://www.jewelryshows.org/factsheet.php?type=trade&lang=en

I saw the adverts at MTR stations, and went along and queued for an hour, paid HKD 80.00 in order to get in.

I could not see everything on the first day as I spent quite a bit of time looking at pearls and diamond jewellery, so I went back the next day to look at CS and the rest.

It is on every year about the same time, and I shall plan my trip in 2015 around the show.

There is a bigger show apparently in September, however, that one is trade only, and I am planning to wing it in 2017, perhaps to have a mini meet up with the likes of Jeremy from PP and Kevin from POJ while they are there to stock up for their annual big winter seasonal sale.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, DK. I shall mark that on my calendar.

We should perhaps do a PS GTG next time? There are quite a few PS'ers in HK and SG. Maybe they'd like to join as well?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1386647752|3571111 said:
My favorite is the emerald.

The smallest stone that happened to be the most expensive! :-o

That was bought in the Jade Market before I went to the jewellery exhibition.

I was unsure about whether it was a good buy or not as the stone looked nicer inside the Jade Market at the store where I bought it than when I was outside in the daylight.

Somehow I managed to miss the dark spot near one of the corners, perhaps I was concentrating on the colour more, and did not ask to inspect the stone using a loop, DOH!

However, it did not cost the earth and judging by the colour now, I believe it was a good buy.

It is destined to be tension-set in a cobalt chrome ring by Boone.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix|1386651065|3571139 said:

We should perhaps do a PS GTG next time? There are quite a few PS'ers in HK and SG. Maybe they'd like to join as well?

Could do. :))

I am planning a 2-week trip in Nov 2015 as I am hoping to travel to Beijing for a few days with my mum and a friend or two, and spend the beginning and end of the two weeks in HK.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in HK and would like to find a reliable and good vendor of CS. I've walked past many before (there are quite a few small independent shops in the Yaumatei/Jordan/TST area) but like so many places in HK, it's really best to have a good recommendation or word of mouth, and I'm not really experienced enough (such a newbie to jewelry in general!) to feel brave enough to evaluate stones by myself in a store. My mother only buys jade and diamonds, so her usual go-to vendor in Jordan doesn't have great choices for colored stones. :razz:

Any suggestions on who to go to for reliable service and products that are value for money? (I don't like the big chains like Chow Sang Sang which are overpriced and have pretty ho-hum colored stones; also the Jade Market is definitely a tourist-only destination -- but good if you need to get some cheap trinkets for the office)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mochiko,
Are you looking to only purchase locally in HK or are you open to online purchases from Thailand and such places? I ask because gems are very expensive in HK, yet the selection is limited, with a few exceptions.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1387284208|3575992 said:
Mochiko,
Are you looking to only purchase locally in HK or are you open to online purchases from Thailand and such places? I ask because gems are very expensive in HK, yet the selection is limited, with a few exceptions.

Or try attending trade shows.

There are at least 4 per year in HK.

The one I attended in late Nov is opened to the public (link in one of my earlier posts), and there was a good selection of CSs on sale, and I could spend a fortune there!

It is worth investing on a loup and practice using it. I may not be an expert in CS, at least I acted as if I knew what to look for when I asked to inspect the CSs using a loup. :bigsmile:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Chrono, Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'm not adverse to buying in Thailand (in fact I've had several pieces done by Sally before with gems from her inventory), but if possible I would prefer to have a good source of loose stones that I can see in person before purchasing. I haven't bought stones by themselves before, only in a finished piece of jewelry, but I am reading these forums and other resources and slowly building up my knowledge. However it's difficult to rely only on photos and I would like to find a good CS vendor locally if possible, as I eventually want to start purchasing CS separately of the settings. :)

My former supervisor buys her CS jewelry from a place called Tayma in Central, but the prices are out of my budget for cocktail/party jewelry. That store is famous for their free annual calendar that they give out to customers, though. :D Really nice photos of colorful jewelry!

dk168, yes!! I've been to the gem show before -- went to the one this September at the HKCEC. It was such a huge venue and I only had an hour there due to my schedule (visited my friend there during lunch hour!) but the few vendors that I asked only sold wholesale/bulk, they weren't willing to sell individual stones or jewelry pieces. Maybe I asked the wrong people? :confused:

With HK being such a trading hub for gemstones, I would've thought there would be some decent choices to look at and get loose stones year-round. :roll:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1386716169|3571531 said:
Phoenix|1386651065|3571139 said:

Could do. :))

I am planning a 2-week trip in Nov 2015 as I am hoping to travel to Beijing for a few days with my mum and a friend or two, and spend the beginning and end of the two weeks in HK.

That'd be great.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results