shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored Stone Lovers Please Critique This Pair Of Tanzanites from VVSGEM(Tan)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Dear Colored Stone Experts,

I have very little experience with colored stones especially Tanzanite and Sapphire and really nowhere to view many stones locally. My limited experience came from having Kauffman Suisse call in a pair of cushions to see what high quality tanzanite would look like but wasn't impressed. Mr. Kauffman himself (he resides in Montreal) was a very nice man, he explained that the pair he called in (7X7 cushion pair) in were a top color for tanzanite, they were almost completely purple/violet in incadescent light and purplish blue in overcast outside lighting, just not what we were looking for though. They were medium tone and deeply saturated but had little brilliance and were cut like a modified princess cut just not what we were looking for in terms of cut for brilliance.

My wife's preferences are as follows:

Color

1) Tone should be Lightish Medium or just Medium
2) Hue should be violetish blue. (Hopefully still keep at least 50/50 violet/blue even in incadescent light but if mostly violet in this light not a problem)
3) Saturation not too light or washed out, but doesn't have to be really vivid.

We prefer stones to be a slight shade on the lighter side of medium to favour brilliance over the most saturated color , as an ancillary benefit this may keep the cost down I hope.

Cut

1) Cushion or Asscher but leaning towards brilliant cut with sufficient pavillion mains for more brightness and a minnimized window.
2) Not opposed to a concave cut but wouldn't pay a big premium for it.

Size

7X6 8X6 or 7X7mm would all be in the prefect range for size.

Here are the pair I was considering:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-55ct-Finest-Matched-Cushion-Top-VIOLET-BLUE-TANZANITE_W0QQitemZ250501159626QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLoose_Gemstones_1?hash=item3a53085aca

They seem to fit the criteria above, however I am concerned that the colors in the video and pictures may be more saturated than they really are, and the strong spot lightiing in the video may exaggerate the brilliance. When looking at them from the side you can see the light saturation but I can't tell if this would only be from that angle and they would still be a lot darker faceup as shown in the video.

I have no idea what terms "Finest Matched" (Above)

or "HiEnd" http://cgi.ebay.com/1-90ct-HiEnd-Cushion-Strong-Vivid-Violet-Blue-Tanzanite_W0QQitemZ250566633812QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLoose_Gemstones_1?hash=item3a56ef6954

or "Top Notch D Block"

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-98ct-Top-Notch-D-Block-Strong-Bluish-Purple-Tanzanite_W0QQitemZ250566633725QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLoose_Gemstones_1?hash=item3a56ef68fd

refer to in terms of hue, saturation, and tone so I hope someone might be able to make an educated guess based on their experience(s).

Your thoughts on this dealer and their photographs would be appreciated. I have read one thread where the color was quite accurate for an asscher cut, in contrast a friend said the color was a lot more washed out than in the video in a very cheap stone she bought.

For reference VVSGEM, GemburiOnline, OddesseyGem are all the same vendor, they choose to split up their inventory based on clarity and cut.

TabzaniteFromTan.jpg

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
D Block refers to the mine where many of the best tanzanites were found. However, it is a term that is overused in the industry like pariaba and kashmir. Since I am a dealer I cannot speak of the quality of stones but others will give their opinions shortly.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did not look at your other links, but instead of paying too much attention to the descriptions in his links, I would ask Tan the following questions.

1) How light or dark (tone) the stone is.
2) Does it have more violet than blue in it? It appears to, but you should ask anyways.
3) How grey are they?
4) Do they turn more grey in certain lighting? This would be a huge concern to me.

Your wife would not prefer Block D since they are medium dark in tone.

I like lapigems.com buying guide for tanzanite. Make sure to click on the tone/saturtion link embedded within this link.

http://www.lapigems.com/tanzanite_buying_guide.asp

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2010 4:08:54 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I did not look at your other links, but instead of paying too much attention to the descriptions in his links, I would ask Tan the following questions.

2) Does it have more violet than blue in it? It appears to, but you should ask anyways.
3) How grey are they?
4) Do they turn more grey in certain lighting? This would be a huge concern to me.

I like lapigems.com buying guide for tanzanite. Make sure to click on the tone/saturtion link embedded within this link.

Thanks I will ask those questions much appreciated.
I had bookmarked that link for reference some time ago.

I was thinking about asking the vendor(s) for a vB 4/4 as I estimated that would be the color we are after but since hardly any vendors use the Munsell scale i wasn''t sure if the answer would be accurate even if they understood and used the scale. Also I have unfortunately never seen a tanzanite with that tone and saturation (maybe in a blue sapphire) so I have no idea if my estimate is correct
7.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2010 4:36:43 PM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

3) How grey are they?

I was thinking about asking the vendor(s) for a vB 4/4 as I estimated that would be the color we are after but since hardly any vendors use the Munsell scale i wasn't sure if the answer would be accurate even if they understood and used the scale. Also I have unfortunately never seen a tanzanite with that tone and saturation (maybe in a blue sapphire) so I have no idea if my estimate is correct
7.gif
I wouldn't ask Tan, or many vendors for that matter, to let me know if a gem matches a particular GIA gemset code. I have done that in the past, and there is too much subjectivity unfortunately.

Think of shopping for a gem this way. You want to get the most saturated color for the money, Therefore, I ask questions about tonality, modifiers, and lighting conditions, to come to my own conclusions. I know many vendors are up front with me after I ask questions like that since they realize I'm not the "run of the mill" gemstone buyer.

What I personally like about Tan is that I have bought enough from him for him to know that he knows what I think is grey, brown and so on. It took a few returns, but sometimes a client and a buyer have to do that in order to understand what the other one is selling, and what the other one wants to buy. He is also very communicative and helpful with answering so many of my questions, when other sellers seem to lose patience with me. I ask too many questions I guess.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2010 4:47:50 PM

Date: 4/15/2010 4:36:43 PM

3) How grey are they?

I was thinking about asking the vendor(s) for a vB 4/4 as I estimated that would be the color we are after but since hardly any vendors use the Munsell scale i wasn''t sure if the answer would be accurate even if they understood and used the scale. Also I have unfortunately never seen a tanzanite with that tone and saturation (maybe in a blue sapphire) so I have no idea if my estimate is correct
7.gif
I wouldn''t ask Tan, or many vendors for that matter, to let me know if a gem matches a particular GIA gemset code. I have done that in the past, and there is too much subjectivity unfortunately.

Think of shopping for a gem this way.You want to get the most saturated color for the money, Therefore, I ask questions about tonality, modifiers, and lighting conditions, to come to my own conclusions. I know many vendors are up front with me after I ask questions like that since they realize I''m not the ''run of the mill'' gemstone buyer.

What I personally like about Tan is that I have bought enough from him for him to know that he knows what I think is grey, brown and so on. It took a few returns, but sometimes a client and a buyer have to do that in order to understand what the other one is selling, and what the other one wants to buy. He is also very communicative and helpful with answering so many of my questions, when other sellers seem to lose patience with me. I ask too many questions I guess.
Do you think based on the low pricing relative to places like swalagem traders that I should assume the saturation will not be as high as something like this one?

swalatanzanite.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think the stones you picked out are as saturated as this particular Swala stone, based on the photos. That stone also has a blue primary and the stones from Tan have a violet primary. However, I've seen more saturated tanzanites from Tan, but they go for more $$$ too. Tan does have some excellent prices though on decent goods, I will give him that. Some items are also more expensive as well, comparable to Swala's pricing. I think Swala and Tan both have competitive pricing in comparison to the online marketplace.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2010 8:29:41 PM
I think Swala and Tan both have competitive pricing in comparison to the online marketplace.
I agree and they are both so nice too. It''s wierd but I find most of the gemstone dealers and sellers extremely nice! They are way more personable and friendly people.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Swala and Tan’s stones look so different on paper. However, neither seem to fit what you said you are looking for. The Swala stone looks to be blue (you wanted something with violet) and the saturation is superior with the tone just right. Tan’s stone is violet but looks to be darker than what you said you prefer. It also isn’t as saturated as the Swala stone.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2010 8:24:38 AM
Author: Chrono
The Swala and Tan’s stones look so different on paper. However, neither seem to fit what you said you are looking for. The Swala stone looks to be blue (you wanted something with violet) and the saturation is superior with the tone just right. Tan’s stone is violet but looks to be darker than what you said you prefer. It also isn’t as saturated as the Swala stone.
Well you are probably right on both counts, although I don''t know what kind of light swala uses to photograph stones. The search will be very difficult especially with a reasonable budget. I may just end up going cultured sapphire.

Thanks for your response.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CCL,
Did you email either one of them to see if they have something not online, or if they can source something for you?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I''ll leave others to the technical stuff because they are so much better at it than I am.

BUT, always beware of light, bright, shiny tweezers. Your stone will be darker than appears in the photo.

Now if only I could remember where I saw a matching pair of tanzies this week. If it comes back to me, I will post.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gailey, the "gem hunter," to the rescue!!
36.gif
She can find anything!!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2010 11:22:03 PM
Gailey, the ''gem hunter,'' to the rescue!!
36.gif
She can find anything!!
Thank you for the complement TL. I''m not sure it''s true, but looking for gems for others is a good way of spotting them for me too!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
CCL, is this the kind of colour you are looking for? I saw these stones when I bought my German stones last year, they came from the same cutter. They were a wonderful blend of blue and violet.

Llyn Strelau earrings 02.jpg

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2010 12:51:47 AM
Author: Gailey
CCL, is this the kind of colour you are looking for? I saw these stones when I bought my German stones last year, they came from the same cutter. They were a wonderful blend of blue and violet.
Yes those are close to the right color if there is not too much light on them.
If thats under bright lights, its too dark, but I suspect that color or a shade lighter in a brilliant style of cutting would be quite close.

Those are exactly what I saw at Kauffman Suisse, I wonder if its the same vendor! I really dislike that 4 main pavillion cut though.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2010 11:18:02 PM
CCL,
Did you email either one of them to see if they have something not online, or if they can source something for you?
Been back and forth with Tan by email for a month. Its the Thai New Year so he should be back to me on Monday I hope.
Swala Gem Trader, no but I''ll give that a try as well.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2010 12:04:29 AM

36.gif
She can find anything!!
Thank you for the complement TL. I''m not sure it''s true, but looking for gems for others is a good way of spotting them for me too!
You helped me find my aquamarines and a lot of choices last time too, yes its true
36.gif

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/16/2010 11:19:08 PM
I''ll leave others to the technical stuff because they are so much better at it than I am.

BUT, always beware of light, bright, shiny tweezers. Your stone will be darker than appears in the photo.

Now if only I could remember where I saw a matching pair of tanzies this week. If it comes back to me, I will post.
Good catch there. It looks like it has been run through a high dynamic range process to make the colors and shine pop. HDR can correct a picture to what the eye will see, but it can also enhance well beyond reality. The tweezers show that reality might have a little too much help in those pictures.

36.gif

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock

Those are a very pretty colour Gailey - I love tanzanites :)

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2010 11:33:13 AM

36.gif
She can find anything!!
You helped me find my aquamarines and a lot of choices last time too, yes its true
36.gif
Well once again you picked something that is not easy to find! I re-discovered what I thought were a nice pair of tanzanites, but they were in fact sapphires, so that''s a dead end. Here''s Africa Gems tanzanite pair selection. I''ve also sent out an enquiry elsewhere, so we will see what that turns up.

What are you going to do with them when you do eventually aquire them?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2010 1:09:50 PM
Author: gsellis

Date: 4/16/2010 11:19:08 PM

Good catch there. It looks like it has been run through a high dynamic range process to make the colors and shine pop. HDR can correct a picture to what the eye will see, but it can also enhance well beyond reality. The tweezers show that reality might have a little too much help in those pictures.

36.gif
Gee thanks Mr Ellis
blusher.gif

Praise indeed from such lofty quarters.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2010 11:26:12 AM

Yes those are close to the right color if there is not too much light on them.
If thats under bright lights, its too dark, but I suspect that color or a shade lighter in a brilliant style of cutting would be quite close.

Those are exactly what I saw at Kauffman Suisse, I wonder if its the same vendor! I really dislike that 4 main pavillion cut though.
I imagine that you are looking at fairly optimum lighting as these earrings were submitted to AGTA for consideration in the Spectrum Awards. That said, I saw them in fairly low lighting and they were not dark.

The lapidary company was Hans Jakob Klein e.k. I am pretty sure I have posted their contact details in a previous post somewhere, so if it interests you to contact them, just run a search on their name and it will turn it up. I have to look through a mountain of e-mail on another computer for it otherwise I would look it up for you.

They come to Canada a couple of times a year with a trunk load of gems. It might be worth your while asking them when they are next coming and if they are visiting a jeweller in your area.

The only word of caution I would add is that you will pay a premium to buy stones in this manner, as the hosting jeweller obviously gets his share. I can''t say I will do it again, but it was an awesome experience to be able to see and handle so many different gems. Phenomenal cutting from Idar Oberstein as well.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
From one of the world''s most tedious gem websites to navigate - Constantin Wild comes two pairs of tanzanites. I have done screen shots of each of them so that you can only choose to navigate the site if you are interested in either of them. Basically, you have to wade through each gem one by one until you find one you are interested in. They aren''t even in any particular order. Perhaps he''s trying to eliminate all but the die hards, who knows! Anyway, here is the first.

Constantin Wild Tanzanites 01.JPG

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
And the second pair:

Constantin Wild Tanzanites 02.JPG

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
From the world''s second most difficult to navigate gem website, Farlang, you can see the work of an award winning lapidarist who has very nice tanzanite, Stephen Avery.

I have seen his stones in person, many of which appear on the Farlang site and his cutting and choice of material is excellent. I don''t know if he is exhibiting a pair of tanzanites or not, but he would be well worth approaching as he specialises in pairs and sets of stones. He has won AGTA Spectrum awards, so don''t expect his work to be cheap. Definitely stones of the heirloom variety.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Pala''s Tanzanite Pairs
ETanzanite pairs
Moriarty''s Custom Tanzanite pairs
Gemfix Tanzanite pairs
Lapigems Tanzanite
Tanzanite Jewelry Designs loose stones incl. pairs
Multicolour Tanzanite pairs
A.G. Color Inc Tanzanite pairs start on pg 4
Paraiba Int. Tanzanite pairs

There, that should keep you busy for a while!

Of this list, I have only bought from Multicolour, so cannot vouch for any of the others. I strongly urge you to make your sale dependent on appropriate certification from a reputable lab or at the very least an appraisal from a gemstone expert such as Richard Sherwood. But you''ve probably heard me say all that before so I won''t whitter on about it.

BTW, my list comes from over 100 gemsites that I have bookmarked plus several pages of google searching. I did not check e-bay or Swala as you seem to have been there already.

Good luck!

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2010 2:28:09 PM

Date: 4/17/2010 11:33:13 AM

36.gif
She can find anything!!
36.gif
Well once again you picked something that is not easy to find! I re-discovered what I thought were a nice pair of tanzanites, but they were in fact sapphires, so that''s a dead end. Here''s Africa Gems tanzanite pair selection. I''ve also sent out an enquiry elsewhere, so we will see what that turns up.

What are you going to do with them when you do eventually aquire them?
Thanks so much Gailey for your search efforts much appreciated. It will take me a while to go through all those links.
I plan on using the top piece from the aquamarine earrings and just creating a dangle, either with the 2 or 3 diamonds in between or without.
I know my wife would get more wear out of them if they are less dressy so no halo of diamonds this time.

I was thinking coin site or a half bezel with delicate claw prongs will show a picture in the next post.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results