Colored Stone E-rings/Eyecandy

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
InToTheMystic|1364441339|3415080 said:
HotPozzum|1364189373|3412765 said:
InToTheMystic|1358500282|3358547 said:
Oh man, it'll be hard to follow that last one :oops:

I've been lurking on this forum for quite a long time now, and the insight I've gained has been invaluable. I thought I should de-lurk long enough to show the results. My fiance and I recently created my engagement ring together, and although its a lot more modest than a lot of the ones on here, we're delighted how its turned out. It's perfectly my style and although finding the right stone took a lot of trial and error, it was worth it in the end. It has been difficult getting access to good coloured stones in Australia (well, the ones we don't dig out of the ground here ourselves anyway).

My ring is a 1.68ct untreated Nigerian medium dark-green/blue tourmaline, with 2 x 0.22 ct princess cut diamonds flanking it. The bezel and stone setting is platinum, but the shank is palladium to make it a little lighter.

I wanted a rich 'peacock' colour, and I love how the green never disappears no matter the light source.

Gorgeous! That is totally my style too. :love: As a fellow Aussie - where did you get the stone from?

I gave a bit more detail about it in this thread here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ld-frekechild-and-other-blue-and-blue-green-gem-lovers.185779/page-3']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ld-frekechild-and-other-blue-and-blue-green-gem-lovers.185779/page-3[/URL] but long story short is my jeweller found it for me.

I actually had a couple of them hunting on my behalf and basically said whoever finds the right stone first will get the commission to build the ring around it! I have no doubt that I paid more for the end result than I would have if I'd sourced the stone myself (particularly when looking at PS standards of what is deemed overpriced ;-) ), but my time is both scarce and precious to me and the eventual result was under budget anyway. And I love it, which is the main thing.

I ended up going with Creations in Canberra (http://www.creationsjewellers.com.au/ although their website appears to be borked at the moment) and Ben, their designer, was fantastic to work with.

Next challenge is finding a wedding ring that works with it...

Hey I actually know of that jeweller! (used to live in Canberra). They did such a great job - the whole ring is lovely. :love:

Emilythegreat

Rough_Rock
_183.png

Hopefully(!) I added that correctly :) My engagement ring. Tourmaline and white topaz.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy mackerel Circe! The yellow diamond is so cool and the blue green sucker...well it's just glorious!

1.55ct Supernova oval periwinkle/violet spinel from Barry Bridgestock set in BGD custom setting (It's moody, so I'm posting a few pics!)
Band is periwinkle sapphire melee with Whiteflash ideal melee

_7724.jpg

bb_0.jpg

sn23.jpg

_7725.jpg

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mom's sapphire and diamond ring!

sr.jpg

sap.jpg

_7782.jpg

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
Here goes - Apparently my cell phone camera cannot accurately capture the color of this stone, which seems to want to show up as pink in photos. In reality it is a peachy-pink that nearly matches the rose gold. It is a 1.9 ct unheated sapphire in a two-toned legacy style setting from LOGR.

_7839.jpg _7838.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Carmen1: I love your ring - it is truly lovely and the colors do match.

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux|1373306071|3479153 said:

Thank you, Minous! I should mention that I actually found the stone when you recommended it for someone else who ultimately decided against it. At the time I was looking for a yellow diamond, but changed course when I saw this sapphire. So both my bank account & I are grateful to you for finding it!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
What a great decision to go with rose gold for the halo, it really is perfect for the gem. I didn't know LOGR could make a setting this solid looking, their shanks always look a bit thin.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1373306071|3479153 said:

+100000000 Gorgeous ring Carmen!!!!!!

becpics

Rough_Rock
Wow there are some stunning rings amongst the post on this topic.
Though I'd share one I've come across in my search for a perfect setting for my mandarin garnet.
I did not choose this but there is something about it that I love. Maybe a tad over the top but beautiful all the same.

_8134.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Ages ago I made this ring. Some of you may remember. It was an early attempt, and poorly finished. The stone shifted in the setting and I had a miserable time getting it out. Having gotten it out the bezel was awfully mangled. So I let it fester for a few years. This evening I decided to revisit it. Mostly filing, which I had made the bad decision originally to forgo since I was adolescently eager to get it on my finger. I refined the seat for the stone with fancy flexshaft bit from otto frei that I was lacking back in the day. Which is to say the seat I had made for it before, scraped out really, was, um, inadequate. This current resurrection is better, but still not what it should/could be. Since I have far too much going on these days I will accept it as it is, for a while anyway. The inspiration was a men's ring at harry winstone, a diamond in platinum. This is set in hand forged 999 fine silver and the stone is am Imp Topaz by Peter Torraca. In the background you may note my manly woodworking scene, I am making an archtop cutaway ukecello. For those who follow my systematic deforestation of the planet's resources, the top is redwood, the back and sides east indian rosewood, the neck and scroll maple and the fingerboard bois de rose from madagascar ( very old stock )

thingwithring.jpg

thingwithring1.jpg

thingwithring2.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
a few more detailed photos

begoniaring.jpg

begoniaring1.jpg

begoniaring2.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Oh and last week I found an antique tools dealer (my other addiction) who has 1600 functional and ornamental knurls, think industrial millegrain. So I bought a few even though they were far more pricey than I thought they ought, and in a very crude fashion put this coin edge grain on a plain silver band. Now the two together look like a man's wedding set. Go marriage equality!

qwertytopaz.jpg

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
Re:

Logan Sapphire|1233939538|1776778 said:
This is my tsavorite ring. The stone was my 93 year-old grandma''s. I don''t remember the dimensions for it- sorry!

I know that post is from way back, but in all 69 pages or whatever it's got to, this is definitely one of my favorite rings. And I normally really don't like emerald cuts at all!

Has this ring inspired anyone at all? I'm certainly rethinking what cut to have a tsavorite in the future!

georgethompson9

Rough_Rock
Colored rings are too beautiful. Nowadays people mostly prefer to have colored gems. Because it looks unique and more attractive than any other design. Few days back I also bought a ring from my jeweler but unfortunately I lost that ring.

Aquagirl

Rough_Rock
.70 ct benitoite pendant

_8461.jpg

Aquagirl

Rough_Rock
An 8mm round color shifting pink tourmaline cut by Barry Bridgestock. I had it set at a local jeweler.

pink_tour_ring.jpg

Aquagirl

Rough_Rock
Exceptional Star Rose Quartz stone obtained from Barry Bridgestock. Set in sterling and 18kt gold by Betsy Bensen

_8462.jpg

_8463.jpg

Sarahblue

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I am new around here and I wanted to share my black opal ring. It was my grandmother's and we think she bought it during WWII. It is just over 5 carats and is a solid black opal (not a doublet or triplet). I have been enjoying looking at everyone's beautiful jewelry.

img_1825e.jpg

img_1826e.jpg

img_1827e.jpg

img_1835e.jpg

Sarahblue

Rough_Rock
Whoa, sorry those pictures are so big, I have no idea how to make them smaller.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I love your grandmother's ring, and big pictures too!

kriskn04

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1353438514|3311207 said:
Pink spinel cut into an asscher design by Jeff White, reset to be lower in the setting.

Hi Chrono,

My boyfriend and I have been looking either a blue sapphire or blue spinel for an engagement ring but haven't had much luck in finding what we are looking for. I want to look into Jeff White as a possible route for purchase but was wondering if you could share pricing. You're pink spinel is beautiful and I haven't been able to find anything that compares to his cuts. he mostly does commissioned cuts so i fear that he might be out of our price range. Would you be willing to share with me your experience and ball park pricing? Hope I'm not being rude by asking.

Thank you!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kriskn04,
Blue spinel pricing should be less than blue sapphire but are also more difficult to find if you are looking for a purer blue with strong saturation. Depending on the exact colouration of the pink spinel you have in mind, it could be quite expensive or less so. Given that my stone was commissioned many years ago, pricing has since gone up quite a bit so I don't think sharing what I paid will be of much use. Jeff is very easy to work with - he will recut an older poorly cut stone into what you want, selecting the right stone and removing the guesswork for you. You get to approve the stone and design before he starts work. There is a non-refundable deposit though.

What is the approximate mm size / carat weight you are looking for? 1 ct unheated blue sapphires seem to go around $2500/ct for top colour and $1500/ct for heated as a starting point.

kriskn04

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1376375961|3501945 said:
What is the approximate mm size / carat weight you are looking for? 1 ct unheated blue sapphires seem to go around $2500/ct for top colour and $1500/ct for heated as a starting point.

We are looking for approximately 2-2.5ct and as far as mm, around 7. I've never bough jewelry let alone a gemstone, so I'm not 100% sure about the measurements, but we are basically trying to find a top notch stone. Since I am choosing a colored stone over a diamond, my bf wants it to be the best stone we can find. There is just so much more to consider when buying a colored stone compared to a diamond that I just don't know what route to go or where to go!

Thank you!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Create a new thread with your questions and you'll get more responses rather than having it buried here in the Eye Candy thread.

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
soxfan, i'm crazy about your emerald cut ring! can you share some info on it? where'd you get it? custom? size? specs? it looks so elegant and unusual but still really sparkly. :love:

& oh my Circe, that turtle is stunning! Can't wait to see it reset!

Ssteel

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I'm new here and would like to try to post a pic of my opal and diamond ring. I picked it up years ago as a treat when I had a new job. It's as old as me - engraved with a date in the year 1965! I haven't posted pics before, so here goes!

rings_049.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results