shape
carat
color
clarity

Color blind and bad eyesight need help buying sapphire, plz

James_K

Rough_Rock
Hello All,
I'm new to PS and also relatively new to buying gems and I'm hoping I can get some feedback on my potential purchase. With a little help, I know I can overcome my sketchy and slightly colorblind eyesight and present my [hopefully] future wife with a beautiful sapphire engagement ring. Please feel free to give feedback on ANY part of my post, Im open to ALL suggestions. :D

After doing a little research Ive narrowed my search down to a stone that looks something like this.......
Cushion cut, fairly symmetrical (square), 6.5-7mm (Im guessing this would be around 2 ct or more), excellent bright color that is neither terribly dark nor very light (is this called vivid?), and something that catches your attention from across the room. As for clarity and enhancements (treatments), I am open to suggestions here since I am not sure how much these affect the look of colored gems and their prices.

In the past, Ive been comforted by legitimate certifications so that would be a HUGE plus and I tend to be a value shopper. Im NOT cheap but I appreciate buying something for less than its value. haha
Here is an example of one that Ive been looking at but I'm not sure on the quality of the stone or of the company.

http://www.gemsny.com/loose-sapphires/2.44-Carat-Cushion-Sapphire-SU1549ACU/

Any feedback on this stone, the company (other website suggestions are more than welcome), or anything else in this post would be awesome. Also, if you have seen any stones that match my desired description, please let me know.

Thanks for all your help. This site and its members are awesome!!!!

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock
Re: Color blind and bad eyesight need help buying sapphire,

EDIT: Apparently colored stone reports cannot be pulled out.

Anywho, just a few comments from a self admitted amateur:
"excellent bright color that is neither terribly dark nor very light": This is terribly subjective. Am I right in thinking you want a medium blue color?

Also, GemsNY has mixed reviews on this board (Google on the boards is your best friend). I believe most people recommend Gemfix for sapphires ( http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html ). Look at the handshots for a better estimation of color.

James_K

Rough_Rock

Thanks Michelle. You would think that after all the hours I have spend looking online I would have chosen more descriptive words. :)
You are correct though, I believe I am looking for something in the medium-royal blue range.

Great heads-up on gemfix. I checked out their site and found several rounds I like but not necessarily any cushions. I like the website and will definitely keep an eye on it. Heck, I may even start considering rounds.

Again, thank you for your help Michelle. Even your "self admitted amateur" advice is much appreciated. :D

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hello and welcome to the CS section of Pricescope.

I take it you don't see blue well? Or is it only the orange/red spectrum? I presume that your fiance's ability to see colour is normal?

2 ct cushion cut blue sapphire of around 7 mm is a good start. Dark and light refers to the tone and means literally that. The vividness of colour is called saturation. This is what makes the stone stand out across the room. It is the pop of colour that either screams at you or looks blah and depressing. Treatment is very personal and most people are fine with heat only, although there are some who must have a totally untreated sapphire. All other treatments are frowned upon and priced accordingly low.

If you have 2 sapphires that are identical twins in every way except treatment, the untreated sapphire will cost a lot more than the heated stone. If you have 2 sapphires where the only difference is colour and treatment, the heated vivid blue sapphire will cost more than the drab or average looking unheated blue sapphire. Heating is done to improve the appearance of sapphires. Some are naturally unheated in the ground or at the very least, look great right from the start. These do not need additional heating and are priced the highest. Some sapphires don't look pretty right off the bat and those are sent off to be heated to improve their colouration.

PSers do not like to overpay either so I understand where you are coming from. If the colour of the 2.44 ct sapphire is what you are looking for, then yes, you are looking for something that is a medium to medium dark tone, blue with a touch of violet and strong to vivid saturation.

That said, I would not recommend that stone in particular. The vendor's pictures do not accurately reflect the true colour of their stones. From past reviews, the colour isn't as dark or saturated as the stone in hand. Looking at the GIA report for comparison, the colour is more violet, lighter and grayer than shown. There is also a small to medium sized window in the center, where light leaks through and it will not sparkle.

Expect sapphire pricing to be very high at around $1500/ct for a heated sapphire of such colouration. An unheated stone will be much more that that. How much time do you have to find the right stone?

vickygigi

Shiny_Rock

Beautiful cut! I hope you end up with a cushion whether it is this stone or another one. Don't settle for a round if you really want a cushion. Cushions have such an old world charm to them.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I appreciate everything you've said but budget is important BECAUSE "value" is subjective! On PS we definitely don't like to overpay so if you give us a budget that you're comfortable with we can help you find the best stone in your budget. HOWEVER, before we go any further you need to know that a well cut, 2ct, vivid gem that can be seen across the room will not come in the "cheap" category.

Looking for a well cut gem will always increase the price. The one you've linked to is actually quite badly cut so if you're not too worried by that (and think it looks ok) then we can throw out precision cut gems and look for a nicely cut gem (that'll help).

James_K

Rough_Rock

Thanks for all the wonderful information guys.

Chrono: Im especially happy you replied as I have read a ton of your posts and you seem very knowledgeable. As far as my colorblindness, I struggle the most with blue/purple and green/yellow (mainly those little LED lights) but my GF has no problems with any colors. After reading your post Ive concluded that I am looking for something that is cushion cut, fairly symmetrical (square), about 7mm, medium to medium dark tone, blue with a touch of violet, strong to vivid saturation, and I'm very open to treated stones. Originally I was hoping to find a stone and have it mounted within a month but after looking Ive decided that I would be willing to wait to get what I want. Still, my time frame is a few months maximum. Also, thanks for the extra info on windows, the more I look, the more things like this start to stand out to me.

Vickygigi: You hit the nail on the head. I am looking for that old world charm. Im hoping to mount the stone in a setting that has that has an antique-ish look but not too overboard on the floweriness.

LD: Ive also read several of your posts and really appreciate your feedback. I think you are correct on value being subjective. That being said, here is the short version of my approach.......... Originally I had intended to buy a traditional diamond engagement ring but changed my mind for several reasons. I have about $7,000 USD set aside for the ring but spending less would be great as it would give me extra money to spend on things for out future together and my GF is VERY practical. She tends to value thoughtfulness and gestures over monetary value, plus expensive jewelry is not her taste. So, if I could but a stone for just a few thousand dollars and have it mounted for a little more, that would be great. As for the cut of the diamond that I had posted a link for, well in truth I really didnt know it was a bad cut. I would prefer a sapphire that is cut well enough that your average person would look at and think it is beautiful. It doesnt necessarily need to be precision cut (unless thats what I need to get the "Wow").

I really appreciate all of your help guys. You cant imagine the difference it has already made in my buying process. Hopefully the info above will clarify a bit more about what Im looking for. Any new feed back is much appreciated.

Also, do you happen to know a site for a gem cutter or seller besides gemfix.com that carries a decent selection of well cut sapphires? I have looked through many on the "recommended site" list on PS but havent had a ton of luck.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

James,
You'll find that the biggest obstacle is the 7 mm square requirement. As it is, regardless of heat treatment, finding the trade preferred medium to medium dark very slightly violetish blue with strong to vivid saturation will take a lot of time. Add that you want a cushion and that it must be square is very limiting and could take at least a year to source. If this requirement is firm, I would advise you to go the precision cutting route. A lapidary can cut it to the shape and size you want but expect to pay at least $2000/ct.

iLander

Ideal_Rock

Didn't read any posts.

Here http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=view&cat=301 Square one on this page.

Already certified by the favorite CS lab, under $2K, and I think it's boss.

These are very good. The square is very close to your size and .7 millimeters is not going to be a big deal.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

iLander - I think the one you've linked to has sold? :(sad It would have been a good choice.

James - here's another. It's not a cushion but it is a square/emerald cut. It's also very nearly 7mm. Would this suit you?
http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=6807

The advantages are (1) well within budget (2) a decent cut (3) a nice colour and will probably look very pretty and slightly darker when set (4) already has an AGL report and (5) the size you want! If you are interested, I would suggest you contact Dana quickly to get him to reserve it for you.

James_K

Rough_Rock

Wow, all this information is awesome!!

So, I believe Ive found a few and am getting closer to pulling the trigger. Hopefully I can have your thoughts on............

A) Based on your suggestions
http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=6807
$1480 - not cut by but sold by Dana Reynolds

B) 3 here from Roger Dery
2.04 ct Australian Sapphire - 6.9X6.9X50 near the bottom of the page
2.0 ct Tanzanian Sapphire - 6.55X6.55 at the very bottom
1.46 ct Sri Lankan Sapphire - 6.15X6.15X3.95 right hand side 3rd row
I know these may not fit my criteria perfectly but I think all could be very nice. Im getting the prices.

C) There are also several I like with the Natural Sapphire Company, Unfortunately, I read a post my Chronos in Dec 2011 saying that they were definitely not a good vendor which is a shame because they have several that are my style. Any thoughts on the company or these stones? (all are within my price range)
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Blue/#&&A7LD74eOfG453jw5BHSnUtekjaP78odJnkWw4fYmmkI6Q6qsSsS9h0SCBX1QSgOtxT4eslbJF6TuFc6vSn8jPelfztJiJEjUbUbMAbJCsyetUEDG9YfdHBXX3gFbDlGlDE94fj/qBcRKGxoi5uZWoDGiQPk29c3+eZs53IY22ty6xiKV

Hope to not complicate matters but......
I like the idea of picking out a gem and having it mounted in a ring, however Id like you thoughts on buying something like these 2 (feedback on company, gems, etc.)

1) http://www.angara.com/p/cushion-sapphire-and-round-diamond-border-ring-sr0152s.html
I chose platinum, 1.9ct, and heirloom quality (AAAA) gem for a price of $6489 (Best quality gem [AAA] is $5069)

2) http://www.brilliantearth.com/Sapphire-Fancy-Bezel-Halo-Diamond-Ring-with-Side-Stones-Platinum-BE1FBH1-SB6X6CU/
I chose platinum, 6mmX6mm for a price of $3995

My apologies if my ideas seem "all over the place" and the prices vary. In truth, I just want to buy a beautiful stone (or complete ring) from a reliable source and if it costs me a little more, Im okay with that. Ill sleep better at night knowing I bought quality and that my future wife loves her ring.

Again, you guys are awesome and I appreciate all your help more than you can imagine. I feel like I have several sets of reliable eyes helping me out. :D

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock

Hmm, just my opinions...

1) I like the one LD posted; my only concern is that OP seems to prefer cushion cut gems and the cut on that one looks a bit more modern to me.

The heated Sri Lankan sapphire seems a little bit too small considering you're aiming for ~ 6.5 to 7mm square but the color on that one is lovely. I think the Australian saphire is a little on the dark side on my monitor and the Tanzanian sapphire looks a little grey to me? Almost like a blue grey color, which I would adore, but I think those 2 are less likely to be what you're looking for.

Won't comment on the Natural Sapphire Company, since my advice is to google them (and decide if you want to purchase from them)

The Angara one- the gem seems really dark until I clicked on the Heirloom one. What concerns me is that there is no listing of treatment on the gem. The same goes for the Brilliant Earth one. Plus there isn't a choice to choose a stone.

Again, will footnote that I'm still an amateur at this so please feel free to correct me if anything I say here is wrong.

James_K

Rough_Rock

Just noticed that I left out the link to letter B in my previous post. Ooops
Here it is. My apologies.
http://www.spectralgems.net/A-corundum.html

Michelle - Thanks for your feedback. Many of the same thought are running through my head.

Ill add that Ive done a little research on TNSC and have seen mixed reviews. On the plus side: the bad reviews that seemed legit were on actual jewelry "failures" not loose stones, they seem to have been in the business for awhile, they still maintain a A+ rating with only 1 (closed) complaint in the last 3 years. On the bad side: a few of the regulars here have some doubts about them and since this forum has been my best source of information, that means I really need to consider that.

Also, Ive pretty much ruled out the Brilliant Earth combo as it really doesnt give me a choice on stone. I was just playing devils advocate by mentioning completed rings. The Angara ring allows for more selection and might be a better example.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

NSC - there are lots of complaints about their selling practices, the photos of their stones and their loose stones as well so I (personally) would avoid them.

Angara/Brilliant Earth - just looking at the prices of those rings you can tell that the sapphires will not be the quality you're looking for. The photos look to be stock photos and in one or two instances highly manipulated. You'd be paying less but for a reason. You wanted value but to retain quality and these won't do it I'm afraid.

In terms of the ones from Roger Dery:
2.04ct - has lots of green/grey (I know you probably can't see this) and colourwise it really doesn't fit what you want. A sapphire of this colour is a very personal like/dislike. I would steer away from this only because there's very little match between what you said you wanted.
2.00ct - exactly the same comments as above.
1.46ct - the colour is nice on this. The gem looks to have a window and it will also be lighter than you want but certainly worth a bit more investigation.

For the one from Mastercutgems - I wouldn't have recommended it if I didn't think it fit the bill (and iLander had actually recommended it also but I misread her post - apologies - and thought she was recommending the cushion). This cut can actually look quite Victorian if it's put into a type of setting like the one you had linked to with Angara. I'll see if I can find some photos and post for you to see.

James - please be aware if you like any of these, you really need to tell the cutter because there have been numerous instances where lurkers have jumped in and bought a stone if it's been recommended on here.

Edit: Here's a few photos so you can see how the Mastercut stone could have a vintage look when set.

for_james_on_ps.jpg

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock

LD: Then I stand corrected :) I think the setting does look lovely.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

michellechan2211|1360512544|3376702 said:
LD: Then I stand corrected :) I think the setting does look lovely.

No worries Michelle. I can see exactly where you were coming from with your comment and actually I think it's a good point. That cut can look very modern AND very vintage - if you think about it, Asschers have been set in both modern and vintage jewellery but people (and me) tend to think of it as a modern look when it's not!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mastercut sapphire:
Very well priced for the stone. Not vivid but cut is nice and colouration, while not fine, is still pretty.

Roger Dery:
2.04 ct - an equal amount of green and blue, and far from strong to vivid saturation.
2.00 ct - much less green but quite gray (nowhere close to strong saturation).
1.46 ct - nice blue but is likely to have a small to medium sized window. Could be a contender if the price is right.

NSC:
Many of their stones have cut issues, including huge windows and off-symmetry. They are expensive considering the quality of the sapphires (colouration and cutting). Their customer service can be quite scathing if you disagree with them or have issues with either the stones or setting.

Angara:
It is a stock picture, so matter which option you chose, how do you know what you are receiving? Note that there is no standardization as to what AAA, AAAA, AAAAA and however many plusses you want to add means. Therefore, I have no idea if their AAAA is indeed a fine quality or just above average.

Brilliant Earth
Again, a stock picture is used, so who knows how good the sapphire will be.

James_K

Rough_Rock

Great info, Thanks again.

Any thoughts on this 1.54ct gem for $1980 on the right hand side, fourth row?
http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html

I'm a bit confused becuase it is 6.8X6.7X6.3 and 1.54ct and the Master Cut gem is 6.35X6.25X4.46 and 1.61ct. So, the MasterCut gem is smaller in every dimension but yet higher in weight. I'm curious since these stones are a little smaller than what I (thought) was looking for and would like to maximize size. In truth, before posting, I was originally considering a stone around 2.5ct but thought that it might look obnoxiously big in a halo setting. Its tough being a man trying to buy something for a woman when you dont know what looks "good" and what doesn't.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You have a typo on the Gemfix sapphire. The depth is 4.3 mm
1.54 ct Gemfix 6.8 x 6.7 x 4.3 mm
1.61 ct Mastercut 6.35 x 6.25 x 4.46 mm

It is all about weight distribution and how the stone is measured. The Mastercut sapphire has clipped corners while the Gemfix sapphire has rounded corners. I am not fond of this particular Gemfix sapphire because it doesn't look as lively as it should. The MC sapphire is cut better. In terms of size, who can say what is too large or too small. I have no issues with a 10 mm stone in a halo. :tongue:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You've transposed the mm incorrectly. The gemfix one has a depth of 4.3mm.

If you have a halo, you need to add (for example) 2mm on either side. So this brings your ring to just over 10mm which is a good size. You've said your g/f is very practical. She doesn't sound like somebody who would appreciate a great big honking stone!!!!!

James_K

Rough_Rock

Okay, I pulled the trigger. The MasterCut gem is on its way and should be in my hands tomorrow. This indecisive old man decided to make a decision. LOL

LD & Chrono, I wish I could buy you lunch. You have been soooooooo helpful and I thank you. You too Michelle, your support and help were awesome.

So, now I figure Ill receive the stone, take it to my local jeweler for a final confirmation, and if Im happy with the color/cut/size, Ill work on getting it set in a ring.

If you think it would be a good idea, I can take some pics (outdoors, indoors, fluorescent light, etc) and post them so you can see the stone in a more "everyday" setting.

BTW - I think I caught a bug. I havent even received this stone and Im already considering my next purchase. :naughty: I shouldn't get ahead of myself though.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Awwwwww congratulations James! I think you'll be happy and don't forget you've got the surety of the AGL report as well!

Photographs are essential I'm afraid! :lol:

I really think you've done well and can't wait to hear what you think. Fingers crossed for you.

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock

Thank you :D Lunch would be awesome for I am a poor college student (but I live far awayyy unfortunately)

And as LD has said above, photographs are essential. ^_~

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A virtual lunch of blue sapphire pictures as payment is required! :cheeky: Pictures are needed to help us confirm that the sapphire is a good or poor choice. You'll want to check the stone out under as many different lighting as possible. It is likely the colour will shift a little so you have to be all right with its various personalities.

James_K

Rough_Rock

Okie dokie. I should be able to post them tomorrow. I did have a chance to open the parcel up and look at the gem. My initial thoughts.....

Good:
1) Dana was awesome - great communication - super fast delivery - was as true gentleman in the emails - I want to but from him purely because of how he runs his business plus his credentials and skill. Even though this stone was not cut by him, I have this strong suspicion that he would not sell anything but well cut gems.
2) If there are flaws in this stone, I couldnt see them - I even got a loupe
3) In my opinion, the cut was great and I didnt see any of those windows Ive learned about. Like the dimensions showed, the stone was square.

Neutral - I dont know if I should be worried about these:
1) Color from above was very nice though not as blue as the picture - more violet than I expected. When stone was flipped over the color from below seemed to be even more purple.
2) The color was "banded". It was bluish purple near crown, then a lighter band, then a lighter band, until the tip which was clear.

Bad (well not all that bad):
Size - Im still debating on whether I should have gone bigger.

Anyway, Ill post pics and maybe you can tell me if Im being too critical or if Im crazy on some of my observations (remember, Im still a little color blind, LOL).

Thanks again All. :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

James - just something for you to mull over ............ coloured stones are judged face up only. So it wouldn't matter if it's bum is a different colour or colourless (or big!!!). So you need to judge the colour face up only. Once set, thats all you'll see anyway.

In terms of size, most gemstones look small - especially if you're not used to seeing them. Also, are you judging it by your hand size as well?

Just a few things for you to think about whilst we're waiting for photos! :devil:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sapphires are commonly zoned or banded, so they are cut to show an even colouration from the top. Assessment of colour is also done only from the top (crown area). A slight violet is normal, especially indoors. Did you note this indoors or outdoors? In terms of saturation or pop of colour, was it spot on?

James_K

Rough_Rock

1) Indoor w/ Flash
2) Indoor w/ Flash (close)
3) Indoor w/o Flash

A few more to come after these 3.

id_flash.jpg

id_flash_close.jpg

id_no_flash.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

For indoor photography, please do not use flash as it distorts the colour in the picture. Make sure the indoor lights used is sufficiently strong enough to not require flash photography. Turn the flash off manually.

James_K

Rough_Rock

1) Indoor No Flash (this should have been on last post)
2) Outdoor Direct Light
3) Outdoor Direct Light - Close
4) Outdoor Indirect Light

id_1.jpg

od_direct.jpg

od_direct_close.jpg

od_indirect.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results