shape
carat
color
clarity

clour of ruby

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colour preferences are very personal, IMHO, and I can see quite a bit of orange on my laptop's monitor, and I prefer pink; therefore, it would not be a good colour for me.

DK :))

Tariq wali

Rough_Rock
thanks dk and JF ,

i want to know about its pigion blood qualification ,this is for an idea from experts .

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did it come with a GRS memo that said "pigeon blood?" If so, you need to ask them how they came up with it.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only GRS still puts "pigeon's blood" red on their lab report so if you have a GRS stone, you'd have to consult the lab to find out what qualifies a ruby as such. If not, due to the differences in monitors, the true way to judge this is to look at the colour of fresh blood (before it oxidizes and becomes brownish).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1416229102|3785047 said:
I found this article, interesting read about what qualifies as "pigeon blood red" for rubies:

http://www.rwwise.com/copb.html

If both those rubies in the article are pigeon blood red according to GRS, then I'm not sure why people think pigeon blood is related to describing top color in rubies, or GRS is confused too. :confused: Both are very dark, have extinction, and not the saturation I would expect in a top ruby.

Maybe the photos are not accurate for color????

Here's a nice picture of a ruby, without too much extinction, and against a white background for neutrality. Darker backgrounds often enhance color.

Here's the article that goes with it, which is very informative about rubies.

http://www.palagems.com/crystal_connoisseurship.htm

ruby_and_sapphire_bill_rubies_1_.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Color is very subjective, but this is one of my all time favorite photos of a ruby. This is a 28 carat Burmese untreated ruby that was sold at Sotheby's for millions.

Some might see a little pink I suppose, but I mean, at least it's not an extinct orangey red gem.

I would ignore metaphors like "pigeon blood," and train your eye to look for high quality instead.

ruby_of_my_1.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
The cabochon is awesome!

I like the oval next to the rough - looks like a twin of my best small oval ( only 0,55 ct ) - think a bit larger....

Again my advice - buy a nice synthetic to compare the color...

Tariq wali

Rough_Rock
i think the clearity of this stone is unbeliveable ,so i want to ask about the clour i am still confused about an ideal colour, pls help to understand .it is and old cut i think,

it is not nearest clour of that cabochon ?

7d3091c90db55f66e008ca3a4d7aac8eqq.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tariq wali|1416604882|3788176 said:
i think the clearity of this stone is unbeliveable ,so i want to ask about the clour i am still confused about an ideal colour, pls help to understand .it is and old cut i think,

No, your stone has a purple secondary in that photo, and is less saturated.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My father explained pigeons blood to me. My father and I were born in Rangoon Burma. My father used to hunt everything and traveled throughout Burma selling medicines for Glaxo to local physicians. He used to tell me the locals would hose down the side of the mountains to let the rubies wash down so they would have to do as little digging as possible. Anyway pigeons blood is the color of the blood of a freshly killed pigeon while the blood is completely oxygenated. After this it starts to darken and turns more brownish. True untreated Mo gook stones are not pure red but have a ting of purple. They also fluoresce in ultra violet light which gives them a glow in daylight.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1416229283|3785048 said:
Only GRS still puts "pigeon's blood" red on their lab report so if you have a GRS stone, you'd have to consult the lab to find out what qualifies a ruby as such. If not, due to the differences in monitors, the true way to judge this is to look at the colour of fresh blood (before it oxidizes and becomes brownish).

Not true. Gubelin, GIA and AIGS are all using the term
I've seen many certs with that term.

Example of GIA "pigeon blood": https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/cocktail-rings/gia-certified-five-carat-vivid-red-pigeons-blood-burma-ruby-diamond-ring/id-j_133980/

Gubelin http://www.ajsgem.com/sites/default/files/Ruby_5.46ct_Gubelin.jpg

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
OTL|1416614304|3788243 said:

Example of GIA "pigeon blood": https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/cocktail-rings/gia-certified-five-carat-vivid-red-pigeons-blood-burma-ruby-diamond-ring/id-j_133980/

The one with the GIA cert wants 76,000 for a flux filled ruby?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OTL|1416614304|3788243 said:

Thanks for pointing that out, OTL. I too thought GRS was the only one to so prominently use the term; its just...well, cheesy to use the term.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock

Make sure you have proper lighting to compare, any stones will look black when viewed in the dark. :ugeek:

Tariq wali

Rough_Rock
eastjavaman|1416618546|3788282 said:

Make sure you have proper lighting to compare, any stones will look black when viewed in the dark. :ugeek:

YES last picture was taken in early morning period in shed .

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer blue-reds to orange-reds for rubies and other red gemstones, and love that cabochon, thanks for sharing!!! :love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stones are not looked at under UV when evaluated for color. It should look saturated in artificial light.

If this photo of your stone is accurate for color and the lighting is normal artificial light, it is a purplish red, and not as saturated as the ruby on the right, which is more of a pinkish red.

7d3091c90db55f66e008ca3a4d7aac8eqq.jpg

Of course the only way to know for sure if your stone is optimal color is to send it to AGL for a full color analysis on their AGL prestige report. You will get values for tone, percentages of secondaries and primary values for hue, saturation, and notes on clarity, treatment. You will get a final optimal grade for the stone based on these values.

Tariq wali

Rough_Rock
eastjavaman|1416618546|3788282 said:

thaks eastjavaman, you are absolutely right , i will make another pic in proper artificial light, thanks

Thanks TL , for your suggestion,

dscf6760__0.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results