shape
carat
color
clarity

Chrysoberyl pricing

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
Hello there! I was quoted $120 per carat for a almost two and a half carat pure yellow chrysoberyl without any other secondary color like brown or green. Is this a fair price to pay? Is chrysoberyl readily available in a size the above? Or iS it hard to come by? Thanks a lot also would appreciate to know if there is any other things to look out for before getting one: for eg. Is a memo compulsory?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's fair. Last time I talked to one of the cutters about having one done he was saying it might end up being about $300/ct depending on the rough and I couldn't afford that so didn't go ahead w/it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Almost all chrysoberyl has either brown or green, so I would be suspect of someone stating it's pure yellow. Pure yellow gems are extrememly rare in nature. Do you have a pic of the stone? What may be totally saturated and pure in a single hue to one person, is not always that way to other people, and before determining a fair price, I would personally like everyone here to see it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not seen any pure yellow chrysoberyl in person although that doesn’t mean it does not exist. A picture or two will help greatly to determine if what the vendor claims is true/accurate.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How trustworthy is the vendor? While there is some brown in it to my eye on my monitor, I suspect some picture manipulation going on as well.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the pic Agnes. Like Chrono, I suspect it has brown in it too. It's a golden yellow, and those tend to have brown, but are typically an orangey yellow if there is no brown. If you like the stone, then go for it if you think they have a good return policy. I don't think the price is unreasonable. For me, and everyone is different, I feel a fine chrysoberyl should look like those neon yellow or greenish yellow highlighter markers, and this one doesn't. You may not like that particular look though. I will say the photo does look a bit enhanced, but again, if the return policy is good, and they are a trustworthy reputable vendor, perhaps you should see it for yourself in person. You should use a trustworthy vendor as it could be synthetic or some form of diffused corundum. It is the typical color in the photo.

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
Hello! the photo is from jyotishgem. I appreciate your views. What do you think of this greenish yellow chrysoberyl rough? It is almost 12 carats. I though of getting it cut into a custom asscher. tks

chrysorough.jpg

chrysorough1.jpg

chrysorough3.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agnesg|1300419468|2874467 said:
Hello! the photo is from jyotishgem. I appreciate your views. What do you think of this greenish yellow chrysoberyl rough? It is almost 12 carats. I though of getting it cut into a custom asscher. tks

The color is nice, but stones change in saturation when cut, so it's hard to tell. Are you committed to buying it if you have it cut and you don't like the outcome?

I also don't know much about jyotishgem. Are they related planetarygems? If so, I would be careful, as planetarygems does not have the best reviews here. I had a feeling the photo looked like planetarygems' photo.

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
Hello, that is my concern too, what if I had it cut and I do not like it..I think the 2 websites you mentioned are from the same vendor. anyway I have no intention to purchase. Also, I really like the asscher zircon cut on Dan Stair's site. But I have also come across asscher that seems 'windowed' or the windmill design simply does not show up well, if you know what I am trying to say. So what should I look for/ who do you recommend for affordable good asscher cutter? Can I know how big and asscher/ how many 7mm asccher can this 12 carat rough yield? tks

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agnesg|1300420590|2874477 said:
Hello, that is my concern too, what if I had it cut and I do not like it..I think the 2 websites you mentioned are from the same vendor. anyway I have no intention to purchase. Also, I really like the asscher zircon cut on Dan Stair's site. But I have also come across asscher that seems 'windowed' or the windmill design simply does not show up well, if you know what I am trying to say. So what should I look for/ who do you recommend for affordable good asscher cutter? Can I know how big and asscher/ how many 7mm asccher can this 12 carat rough yield? tks

You know, for me, color is king, and if you want both color and great cutting in an asscher chrysoberyl, you're not likely to find one, or it will be a long time before you do. However, if color is secondary, then I think any of the lapidaries can cut an asscher. Gene cuts really good asschers with great windmills, and he has very reasonable pricing. I'm not sure how many of them have good chrysoberyl material though, as it seems really hard to come by material that isn't overly brown or desaturated.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if he has more left (though he only had one on his website), but I know that Gary of Finewater picked up some chrysoberyl he is happy with on his recent trip to Sri Lanka.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1300421791|2874485 said:
I don't know if he has more left (though he only had one on his website), but I know that Gary of Finewater picked up some chrysoberyl he is happy with on his recent trip to Sri Lanka.

There was a recent deposit of Tanzania of really neon material, really unique. So far, I haven't been that impressed with other locales for chrysoberyl, but I could be wrong.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not colours and more importantly, tone, of a gemstone is suited for an asscher cut. A light or pastel colour is best for the cutting to shine through. A 12 carat piece of rough might yield anywhere from a 3 carat to 6 carat final product depending on the shape of the rough and location of inclusions.

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
A 12 carat piece of rough might yield anywhere from a 3 carat to 6 carat final product depending on the shape of the rough and location of inclusions.

While that might be true for a good shaped piece of rough, I think getting 6 carats or even 3 carats, might be a long shot on that particular piece of rough. I say that because of the shape of the rough.

Agnesg, do you know the mm size of the rough? Asschers require quite a bit of depth so you want to make sure you are not buying a large flat piece of rough.

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
Hello all thank you for your help. The piece of rough is not in my hand yet.. hence I am unable tp provide the measurements.

PrecisionGem

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Typical cutting yields about 25% to 30% in the hands of a skilled cutter. Most overseas cutting houses get less. With out seeing the complete piece of rough pictured above, I can tell you that it's not shaped well for an asscher. If the depth of the stone is decent, then with that shape I'd be surprised to get a 2 ct asscher from it.

This is why I don't cut other peoples rough, the expectations, and the results are often quite different.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results