shape
carat
color
clarity

Chrome Diopside Earrings

mhovingh

Rough_Rock
This was my first time photographing earrings and my first time photographing Chrome Diopside. Considering that, I think the pictures turned out pretty well but I will let you PS experts be the judges.

Looking forward to reading comments/opinions on the stones and the photography.
1.gif

chrome-diopside-earrings-001.jpg

mhovingh

Rough_Rock
Please pardon the hair in the previous image.

This one is of one of the earrings close up.

chrome-diopside-earrings-003.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
very nice pics and stones!!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very nice! But we want more details on it! Vendor, who made them, carat weight, etc.
1.gif

mhovingh

Rough_Rock
lavatea - No, I did not have them made. They were provided as-is by a supplier.

chrome-diopside-earrings-006.jpg

mhovingh

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/19/2010 8:52:18 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
Very nice! But we want more details on it! Vendor, who made them, carat weight, etc.
1.gif
I don''t have the carat weight on hand but I will try to remember to find out. The vendor is a small shop local in my area. One thing I do know about them that I forgot to post is that they are done in 14k yellow gold.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I do like the color of the stones! Pretty! The metal seems yellowish though, is it hallmarked?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty earrings. Great color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty pair of earrings.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Very nice earrings and your stones look slightly lighter than many (most) chrome diopsides I see around, which is a good thing - they tend to be overly dark.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
your pics be lookin'' good mh..got anymore?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mhovingh do you know if the jeweller has a provenance for the gemstones? The reason I ask is that these are not the "normal" colour for a chrome diopside. The standard (and more common) colour is a bottle green. I do know how hard it is to photograph green gemstones so your photos may not actually be representative of what you see.

Here''s an example of one but unfortunately it''s not a great photo because the gemstone is encased in plastic with the report!

mhovingh

Rough_Rock
amethystguy - Sorry, I don''t have any more pics of these earrings.

LovingDiamonds - I can ask about provenance for the stones. Regarding the color, they are slightly darker in person than in the picture, but not by much. They were getting a bit more light than they would while wearing them out and about but the pics are very close to what I see in person (closest to real life that I have gotten with green stones so far).

SB621

Ideal_Rock
They seem light in color to me....and honestly I don''t really care for the setting. I find it interesting you are asking about the quality of the photos and not the actual gemstones. Are you sellling these? trying to start a business or something?

mhovingh

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 9:54:10 PM
Author: Sarahbear621
They seem light in color to me....and honestly I don''t really care for the setting. I find it interesting you are asking about the quality of the photos and not the actual gemstones. Are you sellling these? trying to start a business or something?
I appreciate comments on the stones/earrings and the photography. I am trying to learn more about the jewelry business and started trying to learn with basically no prior knowledge. If I had gone to make a purchase of jewelry a few months back, I could have spent thousands on a budget CZ piece and not had any clue that I was overpaying. I am new to jewelry, the jewelry business, and photography, so I am just trying to learn all I can; here at PS, from books, and from other sites.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look like simulants. Too perfect grass green. I don''t think they''re chrome diopside.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/20/2010 7:16:40 PM
Author: mhovingh
amethystguy - Sorry, I don''t have any more pics of these earrings.

LovingDiamonds - I can ask about provenance for the stones. Regarding the color, they are slightly darker in person than in the picture, but not by much. They were getting a bit more light than they would while wearing them out and about but the pics are very close to what I see in person (closest to real life that I have gotten with green stones so far).
Thanks for the clarification mhovingh. On what you''ve said, I tend to agree with TL that these are probably simulants and not chrome diopside.

The problem with learning about gemstones is that you have to see tons to understand what''s "normal" for each type - what''s good, what''s bad, what''s acceptable, what''s not! The gemstone world is full of unscrupulous dealers and fakes. It also has some thoroughly decent vendors/lapidarists etc. When you''re starting out, the best thing to do is go with trusted vendors first, peruse their websites, read information they''ve written and assimilate that way. You''ll then know the questions to ask! First and foremost, what treatment a gemstone has had!

The other golden rule - especially if you''re starting out - is to only trust a lab report. If a gemstone hasn''t got one, then err on the side of caution ALWAYS. Assume a gem is a fake or highly treated until you have proof it''s not. The price of a 2ct diffused sapphire against a 2ct natural unheated/untreated sapphire are a million miles apart!

Hope that helps.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results