shape
carat
color
clarity

Christie's online only auction - Statement Jewels

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I think that could be part of why it is online only. Also many pieces likely have no lab report and christies was not going to pay for them. buyer beware. Some lots, however, do come with reports but might well have had them already before being consigned. Here is one with a report
https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/statement-jewels/a-set-of-jadeite-and-diamond-jewellery-26/4128/

They do seem to be mostly statement pieces" made of melee rather than the magnificent jewels that get so much attention at auction. Only maybe a level up from bijoux

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
VL,

i think it's even worse as christie's has a huge advantage in information. they have in-house jewelry experts who made the determination that it is not cost effective to get certs. (of course, they have seen the pieces whereas online bidders can only rely on photographs). clearly they know some of the origins (rubies from burma are clearly marked as they cannot be imported into the u.s.) and no returns!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I also looked, and was underwhelmed. I think they are relying on the cachet of Christie's.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The location & lots in this auction really show you where the money is these days. So many pieces have Burma stones or coral, neither of which can be bought by U.S. residents who want to bring them home.

I was put off by the lack of info too. One offering makes me wonder what they're not saying:
These are all 18k WG, 1.42 tcw diamonds in the ring (no info on treatment, color or clarity); 3.72 tcw sapphires in earrings.

Estimate is $600 - about $900. Seems something a buyer should know is maybe not stated there. I wouldn't bid on anything here without phoning Christies for more info, definitely.

Bottom line is this is an inexpensive & easy way to sell low-ticket items & they can make a few bucks doing it. Going into eBay territory.

--- Laurie

nyr_3382_0045.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1393389044|3623202 said:
They do seem to be mostly statement pieces" made of melee rather than the magnificent jewels that get so much attention at auction.

I am in agreement with this; those who buy these pieces are buying for the name and look of the jewels, not necessarily collectors of gems per se and thus are unlikely to be bothered by not knowing the treatment.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results