shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing which stone for preloved setting...help please!?!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone!!

I recently made some changes in my collection...I've done a lot of selling as well as buying lately, lol.

I decided that I wanted a tiny bit blingier ring for my ering, and just receiving a preloved setting, I find myself with a few gems to choose from that I *think* will all fit this setting. My knowledge of gems far outstrips any knowledge I have of actually setting them... I actually bought this setting for a specific stone ( my new sapphire from Dana at MC). However, I'm a bit concerned that the sapphire may be too big for the setting, and if it is, rather than do pricey work to get it to fit, I think I'd just rather choose one of the gems I have that would require no extra work (and then find another setting for the sapphire).

I'm going in on Tues to see what the jeweler says about setting the sapphire, but I thought that in the meantime, I would post pics and get opinions on what you all think looks best in this setting! If the jeweler says the setting needs prong work to set the sapphire, depending on how much they want to charge, I'll just choose a smaller stone. Since I know so little about what's possible as far as fitting a gem goes, I've chosen out the gems I like most that are within a 1 mm size range and hopefully would fit? Any suggestions here are greatly appreciated. For example, I've included as a choice my cushion cut mahenge, and I have no idea if that's possible or advisable - the setting held a round 6 mm gem previously.

(The setting is 14k YG fishtail prongs w/side diamonds).

My choices are ( in no particular order except the sapphire being #1 choice):

Sapphire (Ceylon, heat only, lighter blue round, 6.44 mm and 1.31 cts)
Merelani mint garnet @5.5 mm round
Barry light violet spinel @5.5 mm round
Dan Stair violet/blue spinel @5.8 mm round
Mahenge spinel @6x5 mm cushion

Lots of pics coming! These are all gems I've posted about before on here but I needed to show them in the setting...please don't worry about being critical or anything like that. I would prefer honest opinions...if you think a gem looks too small or too odd or just plain won't fit - whatever you might think, I'd really like to know!

Thanks in advance :)

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Re: Choosing which stone for preloved setting...help please!

So the sapphire...I really wanted a lighter one as I own a few little medium blue/slightly darker ceylons already. Light return, sparkle, and holding its color in all lighting was more important to me on this one than a darker color, and Dana had one that worked really well for what I wanted (he was so kind and lovely to deal with! Only my second purchase from him and I was treated extremely well...gotta love that!)

_11494.jpg

_11495.jpg

_11496.jpg

_11497.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Couple more and in incandescent also

_11498.jpg

_11499.jpg

_11500.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Mint!

_11503.jpg

_11504.jpg

_11505.jpg

_11506.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Barry light violet spinel

_11507.jpg

_11508.jpg

_11509.jpg

_11510.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Dan S violet/blue spinel

_11511.jpg

_11512.jpg

_11513.jpg

_11514.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Mahenge...not sure if I'm nuts for even thinking it might fit? Shows how little I know, doesn't it? But I'm having my loose round mahenges set this week as earrings so it might be best to do this too if it would work and look ok...

_11515.jpg

_11516.jpg

_11517.jpg

_11518.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Here's a pic of the setting from the side...(taken by the person I bought it from), just in case anyone wants to see.

Any thoughts? If not, I hope you all like the pics at least ;-)

_11519.jpg

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think the sapphire fits it best and looks the best! The smaller gems get a little lost it seems...

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I think the first stone fits best in terms of color and size....but I love love love the color of the mahenge in the yellow gold! i don't even mind that it's smaller if they could make it work...either of those two, whichever works best.

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Dreamer and Asscherhalo - thanks for your votes! The sapphire is definitely my first choice for this setting. It doesn't fit in there as easily as the other gems do though and I don't know if that's normal or not? I mean, I don't know what indicates if it will be a good fit or not - if it seems a bit too small is that good or bad? I have no idea of that makes sense - the way I'm wording this, I mean. Sorry. I was told that the previous stone it held was 6 mm and this one is 6.44, so I'm hopeful.

I adore my little mahenge and I really want it set soon I think...just looking at these pics makes me think I'll make it my next project! I didn't want to influence anyone but it actually is my second favorite choice for this, if possible.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock

katharath said:
Dreamer and Asscherhalo - thanks for your votes! The sapphire is definitely my first choice for this setting. It doesn't fit in there as easily as the other gems do though and I don't know if that's normal or not? I mean, I don't know what indicates if it will be a good fit or not - if it seems a bit too small is that good or bad? I have no idea of that makes sense - the way I'm wording this, I mean. Sorry. I was told that the previous stone it held was 6 mm and this one is 6.44, so I'm hopeful.

I adore my little mahenge and I really want it set soon I think...just looking at these pics makes me think I'll make it my next project! I didn't want to influence anyone but it actually is my second favorite choice for this, if possible.

while scrolling through your photos I was thinking the sapphire for sure, (and I think your green stone would look super gorgeous in some RG), until I reached your mahenge! it just pops in the setting and looks beautiful. no idea if you can fit a cushion into the round setting neither, but it's beautiful in it. gives you inspiration for setting it later, even if it doesn't fit now!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree that the Mahenge color looks great in it, but the stone appears too small. My favorite is the blue sapphire as well though. I love that rich blue with that golden yellow metal. :))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I liked the first 2 :))

michaeldiamondco

Rough_Rock
Trade

I like the Merelani mint garnet! It looks very nice!

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Minous and Sonya - I do think the mahenge probably isn't the right fit for this ring (and the ring was purchased with the intent to set the sapphire in it, as I said). But after popping the mahenge in there I sort of just loved the way it looked! Definitely does inspire me to set it as soon as possible. I've recently finished paying for several gems and now will be setting this sapphire as well as my mahenge earrings, so it will probably be a little while before I can do the mahenge, but it's going to the top of the list.

Niel and Michael - sounds like you both like the mint :) To be honest that one is actually my last choice, but not bc I don't like it - it's just bc my ering right now is a slightly bigger and better mint, lol! I included this one as a possible anyway though, bc I like the way it looks with the diamonds. It would be a very different setting than the one I have set (it's in my avatar pic).

I think if for some reason the sapphire won't work, I'll have to think really hard about what I want to do. Ideally it would be the mahenge, but not if it's going to look too small and silly looking.

I actually considered resetting my merelani mint, the one that is already set, into this ring (again, if the sapphire doesn't work). It's a 6.3 mm round so I bet it would go...I really love that mint, it's one of my all time favorite gems that I've owned so far. My avatar pic isn't a very good pic of it (well, it actually is a good pic, but looks distorted due to the resizing), but it's a lovely gem and I adore it. I just want a setting that's a bit larger and with a bit of bling, and what it's in now is just very very simple. Which I do like - but I want a tiny bit more presence. When I had it made, it seemed like the perfect ring for me. But so much hanging around PS has started to influence me, LOL!! I feel the need for more bling...

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

I love both the sapphire and the mahenge in it! And great job snagging that setting. It's just beautiful!

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock

Well I like the sapphire. I actually asked the seller about this setting just a couple hours after she posted it. However, I was at work the next morning and didn't get her email asking for my paypal email until several hours after she sent the request. By the time I replied, it sold :(sad . Glad to see it at least went to a pricescoper. It looks great.

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Thank you Rosebloom - Good to hear your opinions!

Xrisus - sorry about snapping it up from under you :(. When I emailed the seller, she told me that I was actually the fourth interested person, but that no one had officially "asked" to buy it yet - she said it would go to the first person who was ready to pay, lol. I thought it over for a few minutes and had to nab it! I was really surprised it was up for as long as it was - these types of settings, when well priced, seem to sell fast. I got lucky with it, I know. It was a good price for what it is and perfect for what I wanted...simple and pretty with a little extra bling; diamonds not too tiny, and very white and sparkly! I was really pleased with it...best part is I didn't even need resizing on it.

It's the first semi mount I've ever bought, and it has been a great experience thus far :). I think by getting a preloved setting plus buying the sapphire during Dana's sale, I probably saved a bundle vs if I had walked into a B&M store and bought it ready to go. Plus I was able to get exactly what I wanted this way. I really doubt I'd have been able to find the gem I wanted in the setting I wanted, within my budget - so I really had to go this route. It's a nice feeling getting everything put together like this though!

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock

I'm actually very happy for you, I think all of us have been there at some point in time. The good news for me was I just put those funds towards something else I was thinking about getting, and am now very excited about! I also have you to thank (whether you knew it or not) for introducing me to Yvonne Raley!

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Xrisus|1383450621|3549390 said:
I'm actually very happy for you, I think all of us have been there at some point in time. The good news for me was I just put those funds towards something else I was thinking about getting, and am now very excited about! I also have you to thank (whether you knew it or not) for introducing me to Yvonne Raley!

Oh that's lovely! Thank you for the kind words...and if you feel like sharing what you're getting from Yvonne, do tell!! (She is the one setting my mahenge rounds into studs for me). I really love Yvonne, and I'm happy that you "found" her too! Good luck with your own projects and please do share if you like :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Blue sapphire. That setting is lovely (I actually had it in my possession for a while - temporary custody, I never owned it) and I think the buttery-ness of the metal overwhelms the rest of the gems. I love it with the blue though - classic primary color combination!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

FrekeChild|1383458178|3549419 said:
Blue sapphire. That setting is lovely (I actually had it in my possession for a while - temporary custody, I never owned it) and I think the buttery-ness of the metal overwhelms the rest of the gems. I love it with the blue though - classic primary color combination!

Perfectly said

Kelli

Ideal_Rock

I just adore fishtail prongs (I think that's what they're called, forgive me if not), and I vote sapphire!!

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock

I would put that butter on my toast any day of the week!!!

Katharath, I actually purchased several of Yvonne's mahenges, the ones from the old parcel that she had. I ended up going maybe a little overboard and got something like 6 stones over the course of 2-3 months. Personally I think some of the best ones are the large oval (the one Yvonne is keeping for herself), and the large cushion you got. I must say that I think your Mahenge deserves the perfect setting, one that you would absolutely say "Wow, this is the setting for it, no doubt about it!"

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Freke - you are right. There was something bothering me about several of the gem choices but I couldn't figure out what it was...and that was it!! Thanks for pointing that out.

Kelli - yes that's the term. It's my first setting like this. I've been wanting this style for months now :). Thanks for the comment!

Xrisus- that is AWESOME! I'm very happy for you - those mahenges are amazing! I was so lucky to get the cushion..,Yvonne wanted to keep it but she generously let me take it. Her oval is amazing too. I didn't get my rounds until a couple of months later when most of the parcel was gone, there were only two pairs left at that point (now I know where they all went, lol!! Yvonne is very discreet, I just knew almost everything was gone). I was very happy to be able to get a pair of the rounds too. After I got my cushion I thought I was satisfied, but my mind kept returning to the rounds over and over again...I has to ask her what she had left a couple of months later. My only regret is that I missed out on the slightly larger pair of rounds (there was only one, they were around 5.5 mm or something like that I think?). Did you happen to get those? Just curious, you don't need to say if you don't want to. That was the pair I REALLY wanted though.

Anyway you're right about setting the cushion - I need to think carefully over what to do so that I get what I really want with it.

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock

I love the sapphire and also the mint garnet. That's a very pretty shade on that garnet!

And LOVE your Mahenge. Yum.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi,

I like the Mahenge best with the setting. Don't know if it will fit right or not. Second the sapphire,

Annette

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock

Katharath-I am the culprit, I purchased the larger portugese cut round pair (approx. 5.4 mm), a 4.95/4.85 mm pair round brilliant cut, the smaller cushion, and a 5mm portugese cut round. She later acquired a 6x5 oval that I also snatched up...I think I'm done now. This all started with purchasing the oval in the picture which was a mahenge, but more of a pure glowy pink rather than a pinkish red. The 5.4 mm stones are nice, but one is slightly pinker than the other stone which is almost a pure red. I'll have to see if I can find a better picture of this (they are the top pair in the pic). Anyways, they don't work absolutely perfectly as a pair, but are wonderfully beautiful stones on their own.

_11546.jpg

Mico

Brilliant_Rock

Xrisus said:
Katharath-I am the culprit, I purchased the larger portugese cut round pair (approx. 5.4 mm), a 4.95/4.85 mm pair round brilliant cut, the smaller cushion, and a 5mm portugese cut round. She later acquired a 6x5 oval that I also snatched up...I think I'm done now. This all started with purchasing the oval in the picture which was a mahenge, but more of a pure glowy pink rather than a pinkish red. The 5.4 mm stones are nice, but one is slightly pinker than the other stone which is almost a pure red. I'll have to see if I can find a better picture of this (they are the top pair in the pic). Anyways, they don't work absolutely perfectly as a pair, but are wonderfully beautiful stones on their own.

Good grief, I drooled all over my phone with that picture!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results