shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing which stone for preloved setting...help please!?!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Re: Choosing which stone for preloved setting...help please!

Xrisus|1383529924|3549810 said:
Katharath-I am the culprit, I purchased the larger portugese cut round pair (approx. 5.4 mm), a 4.95/4.85 mm pair round brilliant cut, the smaller cushion, and a 5mm portugese cut round. She later acquired a 6x5 oval that I also snatched up...I think I'm done now. This all started with purchasing the oval in the picture which was a mahenge, but more of a pure glowy pink rather than a pinkish red. The 5.4 mm stones are nice, but one is slightly pinker than the other stone which is almost a pure red. I'll have to see if I can find a better picture of this (they are the top pair in the pic). Anyways, they don't work absolutely perfectly as a pair, but are wonderfully beautiful stones on their own.

Wow! Congrats, and thank you for sharing the pics!! You really got a great haul. The gems in that parcel were so richly saturated - I felt very lucky to have gotten what I did get out of there! Do you have any plans for them setting-wise?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Blue sapphire is my top pick, followed by the mint garnet. If the Mahenge spinel fits, that would have been my second choice.

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I actually think the size of the sapphire also makes it the best choice--the setting has lovely boldness that I think needs a good size stone to prevent the setting from overwhelming the stone.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock

Katharath-I actually have no idea how I'm going to set them. I imagine a matching set with a ring, some earrings, and maybe a pendant. Another idea I had was a multi-stone (eg. 5-stone ring), but I'm just tossing ideas around now. Currently, I have my sights on setting a paraiba, which will require a full custom job (nice idea but mucho $$$).

...I might have heard you were going to set the Mahenge in this setting? In that case, I think that the fishtail setting does go nicely, especially with the geometry of the stone and the way the prongs are shaped. Plus, I can't tell you how much I love that color combination. In fact, I was going to set a beautiful red (but fracture filled) ruby in this setting. I know...fracture filled, but it really is a wonderful color and after louping the stone under 20x, the fractures are not horrible. No matter what, you have some great stones for an awesome setting. Definitely best that the setting receive a stone worthy of it, super happy for you! :D

katharath

Ideal_Rock

I really want to thank everyone for their replies, I appreciate all of the insight and opinions very much!

I ended up going in to the jeweler this morning with my setting and a host of gems ready "just in case", lol. He took a quick look and said that the sapphire should fit with no adjustments needed (the charge is going to be $20). So, I didn't even need to pull out any of the other gems :). I would've tried the mahenge next; and then the mint most likely. I have to say I almost wanted the mahenge as my first choice - but the general opinion that the sapphire was the best choice is what I agree with as well.

The ring should be ready tomorrow and I will post pics when it's done. Very excited!! And I will begin thinking about setting the mahenge next.

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Xrisus|1383590889|3550257 said:
Katharath-I actually have no idea how I'm going to set them. I imagine a matching set with a ring, some earrings, and maybe a pendant. Another idea I had was a multi-stone (eg. 5-stone ring), but I'm just tossing ideas around now. Currently, I have my sights on setting a paraiba, which will require a full custom job (nice idea but mucho $$$).

...I might have heard you were going to set the Mahenge in this setting? In that case, I think that the fishtail setting does go nicely, especially with the geometry of the stone and the way the prongs are shaped. Plus, I can't tell you how much I love that color combination. In fact, I was going to set a beautiful red (but fracture filled) ruby in this setting. I know...fracture filled, but it really is a wonderful color and after louping the stone under 20x, the fractures are not horrible. No matter what, you have some great stones for an awesome setting. Definitely best that the setting receive a stone worthy of it, super happy for you! :D

As you can see from my above post, I did decide on the sapphire - but I completely agree with you about the color combo. I LOVE the red with the yellow gold. Good luck finding a setting for your ruby, fingers crossed for you. I'm planning on yellow gold with my cushion for sure. I'm having my mahenge rounds set in yellow gold, so I want the metals to match.

I think it's fantastic that you were able to get so many of the mahenges, enough to do an entire set - that's completely fabulous. I like your idea of a five stone ring too though. It would be so bold...tough choice to make. But a really fun one, lol.

Thank you for your kind words, it's been fun chatting :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think you made the right decision with the sapphire. The cushion spinel color goes really well with the gold color, but the shape was all wrong for the head with too many adjustments needed, and it'd end up not looking quite right, since the setting was meant for a round.

I can't wait to see it set!

katharath

Ideal_Rock

FrekeChild|1383601563|3550361 said:
I think you made the right decision with the sapphire. The cushion spinel color goes really well with the gold color, but the shape was all wrong for the head with too many adjustments needed, and it'd end up not looking quite right, since the setting was meant for a round.

I can't wait to see it set!

Thanks Freke! I do agree with you and I believe you're completely right. I think it was more of a wishful thinking type thing - just wanting the mahenge to work, since the colors look so pretty together. But I think the sapphire fits the setting the best.

Now, fingers crossed that no issues occur during setting...I know all should be fine, but I don't like having one of my "babies" away from me, lol. To tell the truth, I've never used this jeweler before so that's mostly why I'm nervous. I called around to 6-7 places before choosing this one and asked a lot of questions, so I *think* everything will be fine... Just nervous til I have the ring and gem back in one piece ;-)

JLW05

Brilliant_Rock

Hope I am not too late to the party. My first pick is the sapphire followed by the mint. The Mahenge spinel would be striking in the setting but I think it is too small for it. Down the line I hope you find just the perfect setting for the spinel. It needs to be displayed!

katharath

Ideal_Rock

It's set!

No issues with the setting, it was quick and cheap. I could tell that a couple of the prongs do need a little bit of work before the gem was set; I can see it a bit better now though. It's not a big deal to me at this point - I got this ring done for far less than I thought I would need to spend, so I'm really happy with it, overall. I think it came out pretty well. If the prongs that need tipping bother me I might have it done in the future, but for now I'm just happy to be wearing this ring.

Now...pics! :)

_11648.jpg

_11649.jpg

_11650.jpg

_11651.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock

More

_11652.jpg

_11653.jpg

_11654.jpg

_11655.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Last one. Although I have about 30 more, lol...I think you get the point as most of these look about the same.

(All taken in various sunlight).

_11656.jpg

Mico

Brilliant_Rock

Beautiful :)

Wear it in health!

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock

It looks great with the sapphire, the last shot really lets us see the details of the ring. You should wear it everywhere! Congrats!!! :appl:

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Mico|1383689357|3551119 said:
Beautiful :)

Wear it in health!

Thank you Mico!!

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Xrisus|1383701988|3551297 said:
It looks great with the sapphire, the last shot really lets us see the details of the ring. You should wear it everywhere! Congrats!!! :appl:

I will, believe me, lol!! It was very fun getting this ring together and I love it! Thanks so much :)

I took the pics with my new iPhone 5S- the camera on it is much better than my old iphone4. (I didn't plan on getting a new phone, but my cat pulled my old iPhone off the counter while it was charging, and busted it completely apart...long story short, I got a new iPhone...enjoying the camera on it a lot!)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

You're making me want to upgrade my phone, dangit.

It looks gorgeous! I'm glad you went with blue, it goes perfectly with that setting!

Ahem...I wouldn't mind more pics!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So beautiful Kathryn! It looks so gorgeous on you. Wear it in good health! :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The sapphire looks gorgeous in the setting; just perfect in porportion and design.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love it! I am such a sucker for fishtail prongs, but find that in some cases, they mask the stone too much. This is a perfect fit, where you get the detail of the prongs without losing the stone and its color. I love the stone in this setting - the colors are perfect. I love the royal blue with the gold. Just lovely. :appl:

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Ilovegemstones, Chrono, and Minous - thank you all so much!!

It's really great to hear such nice compliments from all of you :). I've been wearing my ring every day and loving it. I'm so happy with how it turned out!

I really can't believe how much I've learned from PS. I feel like putting together this ring is a tangible example of what I've learned here. For example: I helped finance this ring by selling some of my other pieces in the preloved section; I found the vendor for the sapphire through PS; I chose this particular gem using guidelines I've learned mostly here, over time; and then I found the setting through preloved from a PS member, lol! I just couldn't have imagined doing a successful project like this before I found PS. I'm so pleased with how it turned out, and I guess I have this feeling of accomplishment that I don't get from just seeing a piece of jewelry and buying it - if that makes sense? I feel like there's no way I would have just "found" a ring like this to buy somewhere that was also in my price range. This was very affordable for me and that really helps me to feel satisfied and happy as well.

So a big thank you to all who have helped, with your input, support, and advice :)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Wow, what a great thread! I'm a late comer, and I would have voted for the sapphire and then the pink spinel. Lovely ring.

katharath

Ideal_Rock

Preg - thank you! I am planning to set my mahenge ring next...this project really motivated me to want to set the mahenge too!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock

Wow, that looks great! The sapphire, the setting, the combo of the two, the wedding ring stack, the pics... you totally nailed it! <3 <3

katharath

Ideal_Rock

velouriaL|1384592612|3557510 said:
Wow, that looks great! The sapphire, the setting, the combo of the two, the wedding ring stack, the pics... you totally nailed it! <3 <3

Ha!! I think you're the only person who commented on the pic of the ring stacked with the bands!! I was wondering if anyone liked that, lol! Thanks for your kind words, and I'm really glad that you like the three ring combo, bc I've been wearing it every day :)

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock

I'm so glad you are wearing it every day! I bet you get all sorts of compliments on it...and your new studs!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results