shape
carat
color
clarity

Cheap Alex Fun

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I saw them on the Bistro, and couldn't resist.... Yeah, I know they're not the greatest Alex's, but they are represented as natural, and with pretty good color change. The cushion is supposedly just over a carat, that's the one that got me to buy the parcel. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

alexparcel.jpg

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
estelle|1397935963|3656205 said:
Any plans to send them to a recutter?

The 2 ovals, very possibly. The cushion seems fairly well cut, so not as likely. Do you have a recommendation for a good cutter?

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I quite like the cat's eye as well as the cushion!

I don't think its worth recutting the windowed ones. They look so shallow you'd end up loosing a very significant amount of weight. But I may be wrong.

=)

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Would love to see pics trying to capture the color change with comparisons to your qualitative description!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw those also. Glad to see a PSer got them! Can't wait to see what you do with them.

patricias

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You should have them certified as natural before you do anything with them. There are lots of synthetic alexanderites out there. They're cool and have a nice color change, but the value of a synthetic and the value of a natural alexanderite are many dollar apart.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
LoversKites|1397939231|3656228 said:
I quite like the cat's eye as well as the cushion!

I don't think its worth recutting the windowed ones. They look so shallow you'd end up loosing a very significant amount of weight. But I may be wrong.

=)

I might end up liking the cats eye one myself one I get it. I don't know, they're usually not my thing. The color description on that one looks interesting, though, "Cat's eye, slightly grayish blue green changing to slightly grayish purple. Trillion: blue green changing to purple. Cushion deep blue green changing to deep reddish purple. The two ovals display weaker color changes from slightly yellowish green to pale grayish purple."

I thought about that too with the ovals. They're not very big to begin with, and they have weak color change. I may just see if putting them in silver cups closes that window a bit. Or those 2 might end up back in pre-loved.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
patricias|1397961072|3656388 said:
You should have them certified as natural before you do anything with them. There are lots of synthetic alexanderites out there. They're cool and have a nice color change, but the value of a synthetic and the value of a natural alexanderite are many dollar apart.

I thought about that, but I'm not sure if I'll bother. I got them for what amounts to $40 a stone, so I don't think I'm getting hurt. And one of them has an inclusion in them that makes me think it might be natural.

cushionalex.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not send them to a lab for verification for the price you paid. The cc looks weak but then again, like you said, you didn't pay much for these. The ovals look too shallow to be good re-cut candidates and in cupping these, I'm afraid you'll end up with black looking stones. The cushion and cat's eye are definitely interesting ones to look forward to.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1398089988|3657102 said:
I would not send them to a lab for verification for the price you paid. The cc looks weak but then again, like you said, you didn't pay much for these. The ovals look too shallow to be good re-cut candidates and in cupping these, I'm afraid you'll end up with black looking stones. The cushion and cat's eye are definitely interesting ones to look forward to.

I might send the cushion in, after I take a good look at the inclusion. If it comes back as natural I may rethink the others. For the 2 ovals, I had the idea of having them mounted as bezel drops to wear with my studs. Depends of how I like the color, since they may not have much color change at all with my hair finally growing back enough to cover my ears.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain,
Is sending them to a lab just for your piece of mind? The reason I ask is because cost wise, it doesn't benefit much, if at all to get paperpwork for these. With the colour in the pictures and videos, they are probably worth just as much as the lab memos (+ shipping).

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where do you see the color change? I would say that the cushion has potential, but wait until you have it in hand to decide. If it looks to you to have a pretty color and it has a strong color change, then it will be worth it to get a lab report. But I can't tell how strong the cc is from this pic and your comments.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1398183912|3657843 said:
Where do you see the color change? I would say that the cushion has potential, but wait until you have it in hand to decide. If it looks to you to have a pretty color and it has a strong color change, then it will be worth it to get a lab report. But I can't tell how strong the cc is from this pic and your comments.

I'm going by the seller's description, "Cushion deep blue green changing to deep reddish purple." I have 2 alex's that look the same crappy purple in every pic I've ever taken, but IRL they have almost 100% color change.

OvalAlex-candle.jpg

Pear-Alex.jpg

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1398169602|3657731 said:
Andelain,
Is sending them to a lab just for your piece of mind? The reason I ask is because cost wise, it doesn't benefit much, if at all to get paperpwork for these. With the colour in the pictures and videos, they are probably worth just as much as the lab memos (+ shipping).

More out of curiosity. It the cushion and trillion have the change the seller represented, and are natural, they might be worth a bit. I might take more care in how I mount them if I know that.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain|1398248803|3658423 said:
More out of curiosity. It the cushion and trillion have the change the seller represented, and are natural, they might be worth a bit. I might take more care in how I mount them if I know that.

I understand now. Can't wait for you to receive these stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results