shape
carat
color
clarity

CENTER STONE FOR E- RING !!! HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lookingood35

Shiny_Rock
Hello, I need help.

I have found the setting of my dreams (vera wang). I am attempting to choose a center stone, I would like a color gemstone. Just wanted to know if anyone can tell me what stone has a great sparkel? I have done some browsing around and found Yellow Tourmaline, Yellow Sapphires, Yellow Citrine, Aquamarine and Amethst.

As you can see I am open to your suggestions, I have never owned a gemstone.
I do have a yellow diamond ring I LOVE!!!!!

Just want as much sparkel as I can get !
35.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
a very very fine spessartite garnet such my avatar........but then i''m prejudiced.

also see Mine''s avatar for another spectacular orange spessartite.

movie zombie

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any chance to see your yellow diamond ring?
2.gif

About the Vera Wang setting. Is the picture about the right size you are after? (looks near 10mm - the stone). If so.. well, ther's quite some HUGE difference of value between some of the gem species you cite.

This very setting comes with morganite (pink beryl), kunzite and aquamarine from Vera Wang (maybe others to - don't know) - near this size.

34.gif
Between sapphire, garnet (the spessatite MZ mentions and others), tourmaline, quartz (amethyst and citrine) topaz and beryl (= blue- aquamarine, pink -morganite, yellow - heliodor or what not), sapphire, garnet and topaz are quite a bit brighter than the rest - good thing, especially if the color is light. Sure enough, the way these stones are cut makes quite some difference, but assuming you will have a nicely cut stone anyway, how brilliant the material itself can get draws a clear line between these.

38.gif
However, on deeper colors, the brightness of the material doesn't play such a critical part anymore - color takes over to show off in its own right. Not just my opinion, although it is probably a matter of taste. No one complains emerald is 'dull' - the color is what gets talked about all the time.

I've lost kunzite off the list because its color fades with exposure to light... and this is going to be a ring worn often. Garnet (e.g. the spessartite MZ mentions in the post above) is among the brightest as well.

I would also add tanzanite on the list - if you like the color. Unlike many others, this stone comes relatively often in large sizes too.

Btw. Do you have a color in mind? Looking over a few things might help. Online is OK, in person - much better
5.gif

A click away, you might like what These Guys have to show.

lookingood35

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the help!

I checked out the web site. I love the yellow stones but I would be willing to try a aquamarine stone. I am open. I do not know much about the subject at all.

Thanks!!!
26.gif

nader

Rough_Rock
Try a mali garnet as the centre stone! Yellow-ish colour with tons of brilliance!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/12/2006 12:42:12 PM
Author: lookingood35

I checked out the web site. I love the yellow stones but I would be willing to try a aquamarine stone.

If aqua is ok and it doesn't have to be of exceptional color, you could have the whole package from Vera Wang.

Yellow... well, 'guess it could be sapphire, or yellow beryl, and if orange is an option spessartite garnet. Yellow tourmaline barely exists, but if you can find one with nicely saturated color, good for you they're great! I have never seen such a large yellow tourmaline yet, but there must be a few around. You mention a yellow diamond in the house - well, I would hope that whichever yellow colored stone you might choose will have much stronger color and not disappoint.

Those Mali garnets are very nice! I am a fan
1.gif
Straight yellow would probably be difficult, but the usual slightly golden or greenish yellows on these garnets are mighty beautiful. However, a few carats is the normal size for these. If one over 5 cts with good clarity and cut can be found... hope you guys would not mind posting a word or two about it.

Nader? Did you have a huge, fine Mali garnet in mind by any chance ?
9.gif

leggs

Shiny_Rock
Zircon would be my choice expecially if you like blue as in aqua. Zircon''s sparkle just like diamonds and come in many shades of blue and other colours too.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I would think that Zircon would be too soft... Or I least I think I am right on that one.

How about a tzavorite? It is supposed to have a fabulous return and sparkle. Or Tourmaline (also softer.. but not as soft as Zircon) Have you seen Velouria''s ring? It is very princess. I am pretty partial (Just like MZ) to spessertites. I love the fire.

londonblue

Shiny_Rock
ooh, zircon sounds very pretty and would definitely give great sparkle. i think it has a higher dispersion than diamond, but it''s also much heavier than diamond. I''ve read that blue zircon very much resembles blue diamond. And in the old days before CZ zircon was often used as a diamond simulant.

for sparkle, i believe there is one legend in which someone was unable to hide garnet in their clothing, because it was so brilliant it shone thru the cloth like a beacon.

have you looked into yellow aquamaine (heliodore)? heliodore can be very beautiful, although staring into an aquamrine can be very mesmerizing btut not so sparkly.

are lab created color diamonds a possibility?
http://www.takaradiamonds.com/products/yellow/round/round.php

although they might be too small in size.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i, too, Mine, thought there was a problem with setting zircon in a ring that would be worn lots but that does not appear to be the case at all...which opens up all kinds of possiblities!

zircon comes in many colors; check out this guy''s rough: http://www.faceters.com/rough/zircon/index.shtml

here''s one in a ring for an example: http://www.hagemanjewelry.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HJ&Product_Code=R110

but blues are hard to resist: http://www.ajsgems.com/ZBL/ZBL-1-3.99.htm

movie zombie

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot depends on what color you like. My choices would be spessartite or tsavorite garnet, or some shade of tourmaline. I love the sparkle in spessartite, and I figure green (as in tsavorite) works well with pretty much everything. Personally I wouldn't choose a pink tourmaline for an e-ring because I just don't wear pink much, but I think a nice pink tourmaline would look wonderful in that setting. A nice tanzanite would be beautiful too.

A b lue sapphire would also be beautiful and durable, but it might be hard to find one in that size.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

lookingood35

Shiny_Rock
Thank all of you. I have learned so much! Iff anyone has more suggestions, please continue to add to this thread.

Can anyone tell me if a yellow sapphire has a lot of sparkel???

lookingood35

Shiny_Rock
I like the green garnet. Has anyone seen one of these stones? Does it have sparkel??

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2006 1:38:07 PM
Author: lookingood35

Can anyone tell me if a yellow sapphire has a lot of sparkle???
Among colored stones, you can hardly get more. Sapphire is quite brilliant, but has low dispersion (not much fire)... something that is more apparent on colorless and very faintly colored sapphire, however. Saturated color would hide fire anyway. This is a statement about the material (high RI, good clarity etc.) and whether the stone you get looks brilliant depends on cut, and color - dark color doesn''t allow much brilliance to shine though. However, yellow sapphires are rather light and aside some unusual deep golden-yellows, this shouldn''t be any excuse for lack of brightness. IMO, at least.

Speaking og ''golden yellow'' - THIS is what I am refering to... no darkness there
10.gif
(some get deeper color that is, couldn''t find one online). That one comes from here

nader

Rough_Rock
It definitely has sparkle but the cut''s gotta be good of couse. A precision round-cut merelani garnet can look out of this world with the right neon minty green colour.

victoriaingram

Rough_Rock
If you want the same sparkle as a diamond then go with a colored Zircon. The prices are incredbly low right now for yellow, peach, and pink. This is a natural stone not to be confused with zirconia, which is fake. You can also find irradiated colored diamonds, which are about the same price as white diamonds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results