clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

theredspinel|1466672313|4047031 said:
lilmosun|1466647952|4046950 said:
OTL, as a long admirer of your stones and pieces (and wishing my fingers were small enough to buy when they show up preloved), thank you for sharing your gorgeous beauties. Destroying the ring seems extreme and I hope this thread would not prevent you from enjoying it...it's an internet board with its varying opinions that we all need to take with a grain of salt. It's a beautiful ring and as I result of this thread, I went to Elle's site to see more of her beautiful designs which I might consider in the future.

The topic is interesting and does make one think. I am a huge believer in supporting vendors who's products/service you love, even if it costs a bit more...especially small independents...because otherwise they will go out of business. On the other hand, as others have pointed out, most of us get inspired by designs we see....and how many of us have bought knockoffs of some product? I guess my point is that we all have different ethical compasses, have supported copying to some degree without the intention of doing harm and while it's good to be aware, it's not fair to point fingers or expect everyone to live according to our own personal guidelines. OTL has already offered to do more than I would have personally. While I understand how Elle feels (and would feel the same), I think the awareness this topic has created will do more for Elle and other designers than destroying a beautiful ring that has already been made imo.

Now that I've rambled, I agree that these posts probably belong on a different thread in another forum.

The perfect post; sums up what I was trying to say! OTL you don't need to destroy the ring unless you want to and as minou pointed out you were thinking about that anyway so will be interesting to see what you do purely from a being a pser perspective.

I've felt elle's pain I think because that, black opal/hayuinte/pallasite peridot pendant I posted? I would literally be devestated if someone copied that exactly ;(

You can take the idea, use the same colours, same shape even, take inspiration from the border, even take inspiration from each stone but to purposefully look at it and replicate it exactly down to having a pallasite peridot too... ohh I'd feel this :angryfire: purely because it was such a personal and deep process for me (which I couldn't have done without Sally). For someone to come along, and replicate it in 5 mins taking all the emotion we put into it.... I just can't imagine it. I'd be so upset.

It's not just about copying something that's mine, if I had just thought of a rough design in 5 mins and had it made - if the emotion behind it wasn't there - then copy away I'd be flattered.

Anyway just wanted to explain myself because I feel some people OTL included really are missing the point. It's not about making you feel bad please just try to understand what can have no or little meaning/thought for you has major meaning for someone else.

I hope you take what I'm saying as an honest suggestion to you. As we have been disagreeing about but my suggestion isn't really about what even been discussing. But if you'd be devastated that someone copied your design, please consider in the future not posting it on a public forum. That cat is out of the bag now. It could be on Pinterest where someone can just see it, like it, send the picture to a jeweler And have it made. Of course I love to see your things, but in the age of social media you can't guarantee that won't happen. It's easy to forget that this forum isn't just the 20 so regulars who frequent it.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Niel|1466673841|4047034 said:
theredspinel|1466672313|4047031 said:
lilmosun|1466647952|4046950 said:
OTL, as a long admirer of your stones and pieces (and wishing my fingers were small enough to buy when they show up preloved), thank you for sharing your gorgeous beauties. Destroying the ring seems extreme and I hope this thread would not prevent you from enjoying it...it's an internet board with its varying opinions that we all need to take with a grain of salt. It's a beautiful ring and as I result of this thread, I went to Elle's site to see more of her beautiful designs which I might consider in the future.

The topic is interesting and does make one think. I am a huge believer in supporting vendors who's products/service you love, even if it costs a bit more...especially small independents...because otherwise they will go out of business. On the other hand, as others have pointed out, most of us get inspired by designs we see....and how many of us have bought knockoffs of some product? I guess my point is that we all have different ethical compasses, have supported copying to some degree without the intention of doing harm and while it's good to be aware, it's not fair to point fingers or expect everyone to live according to our own personal guidelines. OTL has already offered to do more than I would have personally. While I understand how Elle feels (and would feel the same), I think the awareness this topic has created will do more for Elle and other designers than destroying a beautiful ring that has already been made imo.

Now that I've rambled, I agree that these posts probably belong on a different thread in another forum.

The perfect post; sums up what I was trying to say! OTL you don't need to destroy the ring unless you want to and as minou pointed out you were thinking about that anyway so will be interesting to see what you do purely from a being a pser perspective.

I've felt elle's pain I think because that, black opal/hayuinte/pallasite peridot pendant I posted? I would literally be devestated if someone copied that exactly ;(

You can take the idea, use the same colours, same shape even, take inspiration from the border, even take inspiration from each stone but to purposefully look at it and replicate it exactly down to having a pallasite peridot too... ohh I'd feel this :angryfire: purely because it was such a personal and deep process for me (which I couldn't have done without Sally). For someone to come along, and replicate it in 5 mins taking all the emotion we put into it.... I just can't imagine it. I'd be so upset.

It's not just about copying something that's mine, if I had just thought of a rough design in 5 mins and had it made - if the emotion behind it wasn't there - then copy away I'd be flattered.

Anyway just wanted to explain myself because I feel some people OTL included really are missing the point. It's not about making you feel bad please just try to understand what can have no or little meaning/thought for you has major meaning for someone else.

I hope you take what I'm saying as an honest suggestion to you. As we have been disagreeing about but my suggestion isn't really about what even been discussing. But if you'd be devastated that someone copied your design, please consider in the future not posting it on a public forum. That cat is out of the bag now. It could be on Pinterest where someone can just see it, like it, send the picture to a jeweler And have it made. Of course I love to see your things, but in the age of social media you can't guarantee that won't happen. It's easy to forget that this forum isn't just the 20 so regulars who frequent it.

Lol I knew this point would be made I should have just addressed it in my first post. (Don't worry about disagreeing btw I love your posts :razz: and I'm sure we'll be agreeing on something else where in the forum)!

I know by posting anyone can copy it and although I'd hate for anyone to, and I literally would feel so upset by it; I won't let that passing fear stop me from living the way I want to live. Right? I want to show it off and get all the ohh and aahs (lol) I want to show it to like minded people that will see what I see when I look at it. Sadly can't do that in real life (I don't know any jewellry or gemstones people)!

Plus for me, if someone copied it and I have no idea, I have peace with that idea. It would be the worst if someone copied it and I saw it... you know the whole ignorance is bliss. Also, I'd not lose anything by someone copying it, but when it's your livilihood, when you do lose money everytime someone copies you... I just understand it.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

athenaworth|1466635360|4046890 said:
MayK, what exactly brought you over to this thread to begin with? You're not usually a colored stone girl, are you?

There are no really original ideas anymore. We're all inspired from pieces of the past.

Really inappropriate comment, particularly for a trade member. I don't post in Colored Stones either - am I allowed to have an opinion?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mayk|1466672800|4047032 said:
minousbijoux|1466668683|4047025 said:
lovedogs|1466646401|4046940 said:
ETA: I think multiple vendors coming here to question Mayk's intentions is really unfortunate. She's just stating her opinions, and her being accused of not coming here "enough" or having some ulterior motive is a little ridiculous, IMHO..

I agree with you lovedogs, and I'm glad you raised this point as you said what I was thinking!

Mayk: please come around whenever you like! Look forward to hearing more about your zircon project. :))

Thank you. I am lurking on all the Zircon threads. To me colored stones are so much more difficult. Question about saturation, what's preferred, Windows, etc. are intimidating. Some of the larger ones I've looked at are quite deep have no idea if that is good or bad. I have a lot to learn before buying.

Here's one I've had bookmarked a long time.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/185066456/vintage-blue-zircon-and-diamond-ring-in?ref=cat_gallery_11

And I watched this one sell

https://www.etsy.com/listing/193198115/payment-1-of-3-515-reserved-for-c-old?ref=cat_gallery_2

And this is on my watch list.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/250675833/vintage-14k-white-gold-blue-zircon-and?ref=cat_gallery_5

Actually about 10 more but these were my favorites of the favorites.

Ooh, I'd love to go on a zircon hunt with you! Interesting that you seem to like the lighter blue side of zircons. I think at the end of the day, they make fabulous rings.

Oh, as an aside, I have no idea what I did, but somehow I've got Etsy thinking I'm a Brit, as my automatic log in now shows every link in pounds now!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

liaerfbv|1466687410|4047068 said:
MayK, what exactly brought you over to this thread to begin with? You're not usually a colored stone girl, are you?

There are no really original ideas anymore. We're all inspired from pieces of the past.

Really inappropriate comment, particularly for a trade member. I don't post in Colored Stones either - am I allowed to have an opinion?

It had nothing to do with her having an opinion. I just wondered who alerted her to the thread because her appearance seemed random. It was a simple question.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs|1466702639|4047167 said:

Love that blue! Tan has a 3.68 carat yellow zircon that has intrigued me because when I think zircon I think blue. IMHO blue zircons are amazing. Just gorgeous. But I also like to see the other colors this gem has to offer.

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock

I LOVE zircon! It took me awhile to get on board because its soft ish but I finally decided I don't care - I just love them! I'm a sucker for sparkle :naughty:
I've got an antique blue I adore (ring). A yellow also mounted in a ring. And an orange I still need to set.
Good luck with your hunts!

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

athenaworth|1466701017|4047155 said:
liaerfbv|1466687410|4047068 said:

It had nothing to do with her having an opinion. I just wondered who alerted her to the thread because her appearance seemed random. It was a simple question.

The implication in your comment was very clear. I read almost every subforum on the site, though I only post in a few. Your comment was inappropriate and rude.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

minousbijoux|1466669438|4047029 said:
lms: two things:

1) it occurs to me that I had no idea that Elle had a website - can you post a link? You have me curious since you mentioned that her designs have you thinking about working with her in the future; and

2) Noooo! Don't do anything to that ring. I can only imagine how beautiful that tsav must be in hand if its that pretty and saturated in a "bad" pic. :))

https://thegemstoneproject.com/ is Elle's website

Thank you minous and LisaRN - the color/saturation of the tsav is really ideal or close to. I was going to recut because it has a keel pav which the seller was upfront about. The tilt window that ovals with keel lines have usually drive me crazy but I don't seem to notice it...we'll see what happens once I resize and start to wear it.

Violetphoenix

Shiny_Rock

I'm not sure if it is appropriate to post my questions on colored stones forum, but I posted my new tourmaline freeform gold ring here back in October 2015, I thought I might able to get some responses quicker if I post my question on this thread again. Please advise if I need to move it.

Finally decided to post about my missing ring, in hope I may be lucky that someone might recognize it or have seen it floating around somewhere and let me know, I will forever be grateful. I also would like to ask the forum for advice what should I do in this case, when the ring I purchased, shipped from the seller's bench was missing.

Some of you might remember that I posted a free form pink tourmaline ring back in October 2015. It was an oval pink Stewart Mine tourmaline set in a free form 18k yellow gold setting. I haven't had a chance wearing this ring even once except only to put it on to take few photos of the ring so I can show it off on PS before it went back to the jeweler/bench for an adjustment. Here are few pics of the ring.

To make long story short....I purchased the ring from a reputable, PS recognized seller. He had his bench, who designed and made the ring, sized it for me. I received the ring, happy with the sizing but the stone look crooked. I contacted the seller, sent him few pics of the ring. He agreed with my observations, emailed me back with instruction, name and address of the jeweler/bench who made the ring and told me to ship it back directly to the bench to save shipping time.

Jeweler/bench received ring from me, told me he fixed it and sent back to me via insured USPS priority.

I received the package, all the original jewelry box was inside the package, but the ring was not there.

Immediately I contacted both the jeweler and seller. Both suggested that I should file a lost claim.

I did all I could, submitted claim and appealed twice but claim was denied, USPS decided there was no evidence the package was damaged therefore they're not liable for the missing content.

I do realize this isn't anyone's fault. It's a misfortune situation, but in this situation who would be financial responsible for a remake of another ring? I bought the ring because of this special stone, where it came from, who cut it, and of course how unique this ring was. Of course if another ring was to be made, i would very much prefer for it to be exactly the same or close to it.

Is it the seller's sole responsibility, the jeweler/bench, or me? The seller and I had no reason to think the bench didn't put the ring in the jewelry box. I don't know him personally, but from his background and talking to him, he seems to be an honest and honorable person

Please remember, I'm not posting this to bash the seller, but to get some insight as what procedure do I need to do now if seller decided now, after all that I had gone through with USPS, he has nothing to do with the missing ring though his initial emails to me he stated that he and the jeweler/bench would make another ring with another stone from the exact same kind of tourmaline.

Here are few pics of the ring

_4419.jpeg

_4420.jpeg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm sorry to hear about your ring, but you are correct this is not the appropriate thread. Please start a new thread and state what you just stated here. It certainly looks like a one of a kind ring and I wish you luck in having it returned to you.

Venti25

Shiny_Rock

serial lurker -
I too recently bought one of the new era mahenge garnets - a trillion. This is my first coloured gem in this shape so I'm not quite sure what to expect. It tends to stay quite dark except at the tips inside but it does have it's moments. Top picture shows what it looks like most of the time. Next to a malaya garnet for colour change reference.

https://neweragems.com/product/mahenge-garnet-2-59-cts/

Pics:

20160626_153706_1_.jpg

20160626_153747_1_.jpg

20160626_153803_1_.jpg

20160626_153726_1_.jpg

Violetphoenix

Shiny_Rock

Thanks Minou. I just started a new thread on Rocky Talk" forum. Hopefully to get some helpful advice there.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Venti25 - Thats a lovely hue on your garnet, but it does look rather dark from your photos. It looks quite sparkly in that last photo! Are you loving it in person?

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock

Hi Venti25. I like the shape and color of your Mahenge garnet but I do agree with you that it does seem a little dark. I had the opportunity to see several Mahenge garnets at a gem show a few months ago and there are a lot of different colors and tones in this material available. I have two Mahenge garnets. One is a peach color and the other is a purplish pink color that has pronounced flashes of orange. Both are 8 mm and were cut by Gene of precisiongem.com The purplish pink is medium in tone and the peach is more medium light in terms of tone.
In this picture, the Mahenge garnets are on the right and the bottom left.
purplegarnet_naturaldaylight.jpg

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Hmm, do we need to start up a mahenge garnet thread now? :)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

chroman said:
Hmm, do we need to start up a mahenge garnet thread now? :)

:appl: :appl: :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hey, start whatever new threads you want as long as eye candy is included. :lol:

MayK,
I would shrug the comments off. You are free to post your opinion in whatever subforum you like, whether it goes with the group think or against it.

Venti,
Garnet or otherwise, I almost always prefer a stone that doesn't show too much darkness most of the time.

OTL,
I'm reading through the past threads now and am sorry you are destroying the ring. Your offer is more than generous and I also understand that the ring feels tainted in your mind now. I've done plenty of copy blending and know that anything posted online will be subject to copying, whether I see it or not. I'm okay with that and think that's the highest form of compliment if someone should love it so much that they would like to copy it.

Venti25

Shiny_Rock

Chroman – Thanks. I’m still deciding. I do like it but I’m not sure I *love* it ykwim?

gingercurls - I was also drawn to the shape and colour of this one and I love your two. I really wish mine had the colour of yours in most lights instead of going dark.

Chrono – I think I’m going to have to agree..

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wahoo! Sally just finished 3 new rings for me and shipping soon! I can't wait! I sent her a leuco garnet, a tsavorite, and 2 opals. So much excitment! I love her work.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MakingTheGrade|1467313985|4050207 said:
Wahoo! Sally just finished 3 new rings for me and shipping soon! I can't wait! I sent her a leuco garnet, a tsavorite, and 2 opals. So much excitment! I love her work.

Yay! Very excited for you. Dif you receive any photo's from Sally? :naughty:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

She did but it was at night time and so the opals don't look alive at all lol.

_37666.jpg

_37667.jpg

_37665.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

MTG - *love* your new HOW rings! I find Sally's aesthetic so timeless and so wearable. I particularly adore the bypass ring but all 3 rings are amazing. Can't wait for your hand shots!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MTG I'm so excited for you to get these pieces! Wow, that bypass ring is so unique and gorgeous--but all are wonderful. Can't wait to see more pics--as usual Sally and Pomme did exquisite work!

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock

That last one is just wonderful :)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very nice makingthegrade! The opals are very pretty and I like the bolder lines of both these rings. The third ring looks gorgeous and I love the bezel. The mix of metal colors in all the rings is a nice surprise. :appl:

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful rings MTG! :appl:
These are not new but I have never stacked them together. I initially did it beccause it is cheaper than resizing the spinel but I like the look! Two colour change garnets and a blue spinel (two bottom rings are from two lovely PSers. :wavey: The spinel was originally from Art Cut Gems.

20160705_161948.jpg

20160705_162031.jpg

20160705_162255.jpg

20160705_172917.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am patiently waiting at the FedEx office. They can't find my package of rings. :angryfire: :errrr: ;(

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MakingTheGrade|1467808694|4052011 said:
I am patiently waiting at the FedEx office. They can't find my package of rings. :angryfire: :errrr: ;(
Oh no! Sending virtual dust your way ASAP!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results