carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

I'd certainly be interested in seeing your pictures of it AJ. to me the cut looks good. (I think you've been spoiled ma'am! :wink2: )

When I got my tourmaline from Eric I did notice how different it looked from some the other cushions he sells. The cutting is pretty exceptional (at least to me it is) The windmill effect that I feel in love with in the vendor picture is really visible in low light.

so its probable that yours IS in fact precision cut but maybe not to your standards? IMO certain stones to me tends to have a particular 'signature' and sometimes you either will love it, or tolerate it, or totally hate it.

I'm sure the color is really TDF, and your feelings may change a bit after its been set. And pictures are always good, you know how much we love those around these parts :appl:

-A

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

tourmaline_lover said:
I thought Eric used a precision cutter from Germany. Admitedly, I've noticed that he seems to like to cut the same facet pattern over and over again (portuguese cutting and cushions). I don't see a window, but perhaps his quality of cutting isn't the same caliber as someone like Jeff White. Not all precision faceters are of equal talent of course.

Chrono said:
AJJ,
What is wrong with the cut of the tsavorite? Eric told me that he uses a German trained precision cutter to facet his higher quality rough, so not all are “native” cut.

TL,
I think a Portuguese cut on something with high RI like spinels and garnets are to better bring out the sparkle?

Thanks TL and Chrono for your comments, I do appreciate the input. The photo is very accurate colour-wise, however IRL the cutting does show a little more window and extinction than the photo does (however if I understand right tsav is often prone to some extinction..is that right :?: ).

Chrono, to answer your question there's nothing necessarily 'wrong' with it, I actually really like the style of the cushion it is very appealing - the polish is a little bit below par ( you can actually make that out in the photo), and there are some small small nicks along some parts of the girdle -mainly only loupe-visible (and the other factors mentioned above).
However I do recognize it is not necessarily fair to compare this stone to my ones from some US faceters ::)

I'm not sure about a German precision faceter for Swala - you guys are likely right, although this didn't come up in our chats. When I asked Eric about their standard of cutting & polishing, this was part of his reply (paraphrased as don't like including personal emails): "You have nothing to worry about with our cuts. They are nice to very nice. Nothing to do with so-called native." He especially said the cutting on this cushion was of a high standard, and I trust him.

I would just like to say that Eric was excellent to work with, answered many questions with patience, the tsav is everything as promised and he offered it to me at a very competitive price - (if purchasing this colour from a US faceter, the stone would likely be around half the size for the budget)..all in all, I am very happy with Swala and Eric.

I will post some pics tomorrow to try and show the cut better, but I appreciate having you guys in the meantime as a 'sounding board' regarding my concerns - I'm likely just being overly picky, I guess ::)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Arcadian said:
I'd certainly be interested in seeing your pictures of it AJ. to me the cut looks good. (I think you've been spoiled ma'am! :wink2: )

When I got my tourmaline from Eric I did notice how different it looked from some the other cushions he sells. The cutting is pretty exceptional (at least to me it is) The windmill effect that I feel in love with in the vendor picture is really visible in low light.

so its probable that yours IS in fact precision cut but maybe not to your standards? IMO certain stones to me tends to have a particular 'signature' and sometimes you either will love it, or tolerate it, or totally hate it.

I'm sure the color is really TDF, and your feelings may change a bit after its been set. And pictures are always good, you know how much we love those around these parts :appl:

-A

Hey A, cheers for your post. I think you're probably right about the spoiled thing ;-)
I don't hate it by any means, I actually really like the style of cutting and I Love the colour - the colour is exceptional; I am just wondering whether the cut could do with some 'finishing touches/sprucing up', and whether others would do so with a reasonably valuable stone..(I do realize these are ultimately questions for a lapidary though).

I believe it is a small window (it may only be a tilt window, I'm not great at judging these), that would close with setting as it closes when between my fingers.
It has some (what I believe to be) extinction through the middle, kind of like a bowtie effect in a pear or marquise..I will attempt to capture it tomorrow.
But again, this doesn't show all the time..

I will make sure to post some pictures - I have been desiring this hue & tone of tsav for some time, so I am really excited to own one in a great size (it measures 7.8x7.7x4.6 mm ).

Thanks for your thoughts, and letting me air mine :wavey:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm really loving this pear, and contacted Bob already to either buy it or order a custom cut like it from a peachy morganite!

3487544.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

That's pretty MTG! I never really was into pears, but I like the shape of that one!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MakingTheGrade said:
I'm really loving this pear, and contacted Bob already to either buy it or order a custom cut like it from a peachy morganite!

that's gorgeous - a pair of those would make lovely earring drops.. :love:

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock

I bought a few inexpensive stones from Uli last month but sent most back. I've since ordered a few more. Here are the original two I kept. I really love the colors together, and both are fairly sparkly. The garnet looks darker in some of the pics than it is in real life. I have stackers in mind for these, but that's going to have to wait several months.

perspective resized.jpg

fall colors resized.jpg

chrysoberyl resized.jpg

rhodolite resized.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ok, I can't keep it to myself anymore...

IMG_0390 freke.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wahoo. The morganite is mine! I may have to set it in a pendant since I'm starting to get too many rings...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Great little stacker stones lavatea! Did you ask him to cut them or did he have them on his site? I've not browsed his stones for a while..I'll have to do it again-he has some of the most gorgeous stones! I'd really like to have one some day.

MTG, that pear would make a really pretty pendant-would you do it in rg?

Freke! :love: :appl:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

I think I know where the Namibian went!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

I brought my orange-pink marquise sapphire in to be set finally. It's going to be set east-west with a small OMC on each side. Everything bezel set in pink gold. I'm also getting my rutilated quartz briolette set as well. That's going to be capped with yellow gold.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock

packrat said:
Great little stacker stones lavatea! Did you ask him to cut them or did he have them on his site?

Thanks! They were some he put up as bargain auctions on ebay. I'm not sure he even cut them himself (I think he told me that he didn't).

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock

Kismet said:
I brought my orange-pink marquise sapphire in to be set finally. It's going to be set east-west with a small OMC on each side. Everything bezel set in pink gold. I'm also getting my rutilated quartz briolette set as well. That's going to be capped with yellow gold.

kismet...pics of the sapphire? Do you mind sharing where you found a marquise? :wavey: :appl:

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

Taylorbug! said:
Kismet said:

kismet...pics of the sapphire? Do you mind sharing where you found a marquise? :wavey: :appl:

Sure, here ya go. I got it from Master Cut Gems over a year ago.
kiz-mcpad1.jpg

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

quick cell phone pics of a 1.35 hessonite from Uli @ osirisgems better pictures to come tomorrow when I remember to bring the camera out of the car :D. It's a wonderful orange color and my best cut garnet.

1012001518 (2).jpg

1012001514 (2).jpg

!B3ujC7QEGk~$(KGrHqV,!jUEybWz4G1DBMnSPfl)6w~~_3.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

VapidLapid said:
I think I know where the Namibian went!
:Up_to_something: :naughty: :cheeky:

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

FrekeChild said:
Ok, I can't keep it to myself anymore...

You sly thing! It was you! So how do you like it? It seems to be as pretty in your pic as it was on his site. And it's a nice size at 8.5mm.

Setting plans?

I'm looking forward to seeing what he has tonight.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I just know it'll be a ring...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have this 2.5 ct tsavorite to go with my recently obtained spessartite. Not sure what to do with them, but the proportions are very close in length, width and depth. I was thinking a bypass, but not sure. The color is washed out in these photos because they were automatically resized when I uploaded them, and they lost some saturation. :((

TLtsavandspesspears2.JPG

TLtsavandspesspears.JPG

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Kismet said:

Oh kismit that sounds lovely.....i can't wait to see pictures...please please please post pictures when you get them!

SB621

Ideal_Rock

I finally heard from JKT that my Amthyest set is almost done. When she sets the stones in the bezel work she will start sending me pictures. Hopfully pictures to come soon! It is a pair of earrings and a pendant by the way. I didn't do a ring....well because I have so many of them that I wanted to do something different.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

Kismet said:

Got a call from the jeweler today. He wants me to come in and make sure that the pink gold is the right shade of pink. I'll be trekking there tomorrow after I drop my husband at the airport.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

jstarfireb said:
I think they'd make a great bypass! The color combination is really cool and unusual. It reminds me of this ring I like from Dana:
http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=5332

Thanks!! I shipped it off to have the setting made. Can't wait. It will be my first Etsy piece. :appl:

cellentani

Ideal_Rock

I should have posted this awhile ago, but I finally got my 2.30ct Mahenge spinel from Gary set. It took awhile, but I'm really pleased.

LMSpinel.JPG

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

:love: It's gorgeous Cell!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

arjunajane said:
Arcadian said:

-A

Hey A, cheers for your post. I think you're probably right about the spoiled thing ;-)
I don't hate it by any means, I actually really like the style of cutting and I Love the colour - the colour is exceptional; I am just wondering whether the cut could do with some 'finishing touches/sprucing up', and whether others would do so with a reasonably valuable stone..(I do realize these are ultimately questions for a lapidary though).

I believe it is a small window (it may only be a tilt window, I'm not great at judging these), that would close with setting as it closes when between my fingers.
It has some (what I believe to be) extinction through the middle, kind of like a bowtie effect in a pear or marquise..I will attempt to capture it tomorrow.
But again, this doesn't show all the time..

I will make sure to post some pictures - I have been desiring this hue & tone of tsav for some time, so I am really excited to own one in a great size (it measures 7.8x7.7x4.6 mm ).

Thanks for your thoughts, and letting me air mine :wavey:

AJ coming to this thread late (apologies). That gem looks very well cut to me as well and I wonder if it's because it's a mixed cut that's throwing you? I doubt if that has a window - tilt perhaps - but not a window per se. The colour is stunning and I have a piece very similar from Eric. BTW, the ladies above are correct about Eric using a German precision cutter for his stones. I had a long email chat with him about it moons ago!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

tourmaline_lover said:
jstarfireb said:
I think they'd make a great bypass! The color combination is really cool and unusual. It reminds me of this ring I like from Dana:
http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=5332

Thanks!! I shipped it off to have the setting made. Can't wait. It will be my first Etsy piece. :appl:

Oooh, who's making it? Are you jumping on the Daniel M bandwagon with the rest of us?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cellentani said:
I should have posted this awhile ago, but I finally got my 2.30ct Mahenge spinel from Gary set. It took awhile, but I'm really pleased.

W :love: WZA!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results