shape
carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I''m gettting this fire opal from the land of volcanic ash. It might get here this year.

I am pretty excited about it, so if I like it, I''ll post photos. Ever since seeing a very saturated orange fire opal at the museum, I had to have one since I''m a sucker for intense orange gems.

It''s around 14 carats.

TLfireopaloct.JPG

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/27/2010 4:33:04 PM
Author: cellentani
nice range of colors! What do you think of the green zircon - is it a little sleepy?
The zircon is quite sleepy actually! Not so much that its terrible, but it reminds me of the color of lime-aid (not the artifically colored stuff) kind of hazy, you know? After seeing it in person I''ve changed my mind about setting it, though I still want something a bit darker. I think sunlight will perk it up a bit but though a little strange on the color, I do really like it quite a lot.

The blue spinel will likely be more or less a daytime stone. I like it though its darker than I would normally get, considering its a blue spinel, the bit of gray isn''t too terrible. Its really deep so I''m thinking pendant for this one.

The lavendar spinel though lovely will just be something to play with because the window is large enough to yodel through!

TL, lovely stone! 13 cts ginormous!

-A

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
13 carats of opal! that''s practically architecture!
It''s really lovely though. Reminds me of an orange zircon i saw once...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acutally, it's 14.87 carats. Yes, it does look like that orange zircon, doesn't it?
2.gif

16.3 x 14.2 mm and yes, I want it for a ring. I know, I know. The high crown and tiny table sold me on it too. He said it sparkles.

Thanks!

Sal from Cal

Rough_Rock
Trade
tourmaline_lover,

That is one AMAZING gem and the color is just awesome! I hope you are already working those fingers and arm to get them ready for holding up that boulder!
2.gif

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
y2kitty, Hi! I also ordered from Doug (asscher white topaz). How long did it take you to get the stone?

I can beat your mail delivery issue: My postal babe left my shipment from Barry Bridgestock ON TOP OF THE COMMUNAL MAILBOX OUT IN THE OPEN!

I tell you, some days I don''t love our postal service, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
StonieGal, it left Australia on the 19th and arrived in Scottsdale on the 26th.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently acquired a 7.5mm bekily malaya garnet and new antique setting.

So I definitely need to set the garnet (it''s a beauty from Barry), and replace the cz asscher in the setting.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
These arrived today.
30.gif

ladyctourms.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Preview shot from Daniel M of the Jeff White mint peridot asscher!

Peridot1%20sized.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, so simple yet elegant! I am in love.

(who is Daniel M?)

Date: 4/28/2010 7:49:09 PM
Author: FrekeChild

Peridot1%20sized.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/28/2010 8:49:57 PM
Author: yingh

(who is Daniel M?)
Peridot1%20sized.jpg
Thanks yingh! that was the idea, I wanted the stone to be the center of attention, and gave it a little twist by putting it on point.

Daniel M is an etsy seller, and he''s SO FAST. So far everything I''ve seen from him I''ve liked (silver birthday necklace from my husband, an amethyst bezel I got made for my BFF), and I should have this in my hands a week after they got it (Saturday). Can''t beat that with a stick! (As my dad would say...)http://www.etsy.com/shop/danielmjewelry There are a few more pictures of my new necklace if you look in the sold items on his etsy page!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/29/2010 12:17:42 AM

Date: 4/28/2010 8:49:57 PM
Author: yingh

(who is Daniel M?)

Peridot1%20sized.jpg
Thanks yingh! that was the idea, I wanted the stone to be the center of attention, and gave it a little twist by putting it on point.

Daniel M is an etsy seller, and he''s SO FAST. So far everything I''ve seen from him I''ve liked (silver birthday necklace from my husband, an amethyst bezel I got made for my BFF), and I should have this in my hands a week after they got it (Saturday). Can''t beat that with a stick! (As my dad would say...)http://www.etsy.com/shop/danielmjewelry There are a few more pictures of my new necklace if you look in the sold items on his etsy page!
Very nice Freke! Thanks for the etsy info too!
1.gif

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I picked up a small 3mm 0.16ct "lime green" Russian demantoid from Gemline via eBay as well as a green tourmaline. Comparing it to my Pakistan demantoids was interesting. The green was not cooperating, kept coming out way more yellow than what I was seeing, but this is a decent one color-wise.

ETA: Pakistan demantoid is on the left, Russian on the right

2010-04-25-029.JPG

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
That''s lovely and elegant in it''s simplicity, Freke . . . love it!

CaraMish

Shiny_Rock
Freke, thanks for the Daniel M rec-I went to his etsy store and bought the rose cut amethyst earrings!
36.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m loving all the beautiful green gems posted. You guys are killing me!
That fire opaz is ginomous!

I''ve been lurking but nothing to post.

After a long "fast" I broke down and last week got a pretty precious topaz (private vendor) with the plan to put it in a yellow or rose gold settiing for a necklace. Well, when it arrived it is so close to my skin tone I don''t know if it would just get lost on me. So waiting on that project. Appetite whetted, I decided to go for on of the Daniel M sliding bezel necklaces with peridot. I have had it bookmarked for quite awhile (for example, see Claritek''s bridesmaid necklaces).
It says it takes 5-7 days to make so it will be a bit before I get it, but I''ll post pics when I get it
36.gif

You know I''m a big fan of bezels, but there have been some really pretty settings using prongs (love that necklace Freke!), may come around.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m seeing a trend of alot of orange, and green color gems. Is that because everyone has gotten their quota of red and blue gems and are now branching out, or are these "hot" colors right now? Just curious. I love some of the orange color gems (especially the fanta orange garnets), but more as specimens, I just don''t know if I could pull off wearing that color.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Freke, is the profile of that pendant open? I''m looking for someone to bring my multi-stone pendant idea to life, but I need the profile of the faceted opal to be open so I can see the play of color from the sides. Do you think Daniel''s prices are reasonable?

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
TL, that opal is amazing!! Definitely worthy of a museum-induced craving!

Freke, I love that pendant
1.gif
I''d also be interested in hearing about how DanielM''s prices are for custom work.

No pictures today...need to upload at home.

I''m expecting my lush lotus from Sally at the end of May (with 6mm color change spinel).

I should be able to pick up custom pendant today with colored rose cut diamond and precious topaz that I somewhat spontaneously commissioned as a gift. We''ll see how it goes...

I also picked up a simple sterling bezel pear ammy cab ring at a craft show last weekend -- it''s got a nice hammered band and the stone has a lovely silky look to it with a nice color. Not the fanciest thing, but a pretty and fairly inexpensive bit of instant gratification!

Last, I received a cushion yellow zircon from multicolour. It''s not as lemony as the online picture showed, but I expected it to be more golden in person so I think that''s ok. I''ll have pictures of that soon...

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/30/2010 10:18:20 AM
Author: part gypsy
I''m seeing a trend of alot of orange, and green color gems. Is that because everyone has gotten their quota of red and blue gems and are now branching out, or are these ''hot'' colors right now? Just curious. I love some of the orange color gems (especially the fanta orange garnets), but more as specimens, I just don''t know if I could pull off wearing that color.
I have several stones (sapphires and garnets and a zircon) that are various shades of orange from red orange to brownish orange to what I would call true orange. I don''t wear orange clothing and orange is certainly not one of my favorite colors, but when it comes to gemstones I think they look wonderful in rings or pendants. One of my favorite rings has a ginger orange sapphire. I posted it over in the vendor pictures but I''ll put it here also.

ginger12345.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Daniel M...nothing but good things to say about his prices and his jewelry so far. I''ll give you more of a judgment on his custom work when I get the peridot back (Today or tomorrow, fingers crossed!).

Jstar, I''m attaching a photo of the side view of the peridot. I had just asked him for simple and sleek, and I think he accomplished that. I didn''t give him any special instructions on how open or closed, just that the peridot needed to shine.

As for pricing, due to his ability to work in silver, I''m able to get a lot more projects done than I would have otherwise.
3.gif
I would describe in detail what you''re looking for, and ask for a quote!

peridot4 freke.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Freke! I wonder if he could take that second bar off the basket and leave it more open for me. I''m not that worried about protecting the stone since it will be in a pendant. I''m between him and Sally, but as much as I love Sally''s designs, the wait and the need to ship outside the country are big downers.

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/26/2010 12:56:59 AM
Author: mariedtiger
Kunzite, that one is a beauty! I would love to see pictures of it when you get it.
In its future home.

It can get a little dark without direct light (like the ends of the vendor photo) but overall I really like it.

dsspinel 009.JPG

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
so round 2 of trying to get my asscher tourmaline set was a failure... The jeweler is excellent but a Nazi when it comes to the stone being super secure and protected and he blatantly ignored my request for double claw prongs. So I told him, no, I want them, put them on there. So we''re giving it another try. Who knew this would become such a saga. I should get it on Tuesday. Cross your fingers!

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/2/2010 12:45:19 AM
Author: redfaerythinker
so round 2 of trying to get my asscher tourmaline set was a failure... The jeweler is excellent but a Nazi when it comes to the stone being super secure and protected and he blatantly ignored my request for double claw prongs. So I told him, no, I want them, put them on there. So we''re giving it another try. Who knew this would become such a saga. I should get it on Tuesday. Cross your fingers!

I hope it turns out well - I''ll cross my fingers & toes for you!
2.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I am currently waiting for Gene to cut me one of those lovely blue-green tourmalines..
so no photos yet, but hopefully should be done within the next week-ish

I''ve admired those stones since he posted RFT''s lovely asscher, so will be happy to have my own piece
5.gif

RFT - I do hope your setting is worked out soon, I''m sure you are dying to wear that stunner!

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
arjunajanep Yes I am DYING to wear it. But it''s a graduation present so I can''t have it until August 7th!
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m considering this yummy looking spinel, hard to judge from one photo though..

fmespin.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results