shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Marlow, refractometer has arrived.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Your check was o.k. - got the same result with a Paraiba and a namibian tourmaline.

I will try to find some information whether the color of the lines is important...

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Needful - a great place to buy some tester stones would be GemSelect methinks. Rarely good enough cut quality for setting but for what you want... knock yourself out! :lol:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Yes - aquarium gravel!!!
:D

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Everyone knows you can measure the Refractive Index of a stone with a refractometer, but did you know you can do more?

You can measure the:
Birefringence
Optical Sign
Optical Character

These 3 additional pieces of information will help to nail down what the stone is.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
PrecisionGem said:
Everyone knows you can measure the Refractive Index of a stone with a refractometer, but did you know you can do more?

You can measure the:
Birefringence
Optical Sign
Optical Character

These 3 additional pieces of information will help to nail down what the stone is.

I opened this today:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-to-use-a-refractometer-polariscope-dichroscope-chelsea-f.205661/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-to-use-a-refractometer-polariscope-dichroscope-chelsea-f.205661/[/URL]

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Good morning Marlow, I have bought some stones and they on there way to me. Hopefully sooner rather than later.
Back to the tourmaline we tested, did you manage to find any info regarding the 2 green lines ? I have tested it several times and the lines are always green. TIA.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Yes - the same with my tourmaline so it is o.k. to have two green lines.

Hope you have seen the other thread - How to use .....

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Which gems did you buy?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
PrecisionGem|1409502458|3742479 said:

You can measure the:
Birefringence
Optical Sign
Optical Character

Course this will be your "homework" in our refractometer crash course :)

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
I got some spinel, aqua & zircon. I will test these 1st ( when they arrive ) and then order some more of the others. Yes Marlow I have lots of homework now :read: :read: :read:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Zircon!

Very interesting...... :bigsmile:

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
The zircon was an accident, I left a few bids on small parcels & for some reason I had left a bid on them :doh: :doh:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
So you know why I was :bigsmile: !!!

But is it o.k. - you have a topaz or peridot or chrysoberyl?? A cheap topaz would be fine...

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
No topaz or chrysoberyl on that site, I will have to look elsewhere for those stones. Lots of aqua, garnet,sapph, spinel,sphene & a few peridot, I will keep looking.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
needfullshinythings|1409695156|3743626 said:
I got some spinel, aqua & zircon. I will test these 1st ( when they arrive ) and then order some more of the others. Yes Marlow I have lots of homework now :read: :read: :read:

If you use an iPad or Mac, email me and I'll send you a Numbers spreadsheet I wrote that does the math for you. Just take some readings and enter them. The program does the rest.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
PrecisionGem|1409705068|3743733 said:
needfullshinythings|1409695156|3743626 said:

If you use an iPad or Mac, email me and I'll send you a Numbers spreadsheet I wrote that does the math for you. Just take some readings and enter them. The program does the rest.

Is that offer open to all of us?

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Good morning Precision Gem, many thanks for the offer but sadly I don't have either. I am still rocking the old 4 piece suite and my mobile phone is exactly that. Very little in the way of modern technology in my life.
The offer is appreciated PG, maybe you could help Andelain instead.
Thx.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is what it looks like on an iPad.

You simply take four readings, rotating the stone for each one, and enter the high and low reading in the white area. Numbers calculates everything else, and plots a graph.

There is also a specific gravity calculator, and cut weight calculator that is really more useful for a cutter, as you wouldn't know the volume of the design unless you had a copy of it.

Anyway, it's free to a good home! If anyone wants it in person, I will be in NYC on Sept 13 for out Puppy Mill Awareness walk, you can meet up there. (See www.walkwiththepack.org for details)

pg_opticalchar.png

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
PrecisionGem|1409752387|3743982 said:

You simply take four readings, rotating the stone for each one, and enter the high and low reading in the white area. Numbers calculates everything else, and plots a graph.

There is also a specific gravity calculator, and cut weight calculator that is really more useful for a cutter, as you wouldn't know the volume of the design unless you had a copy of it.

Anyway, it's free to a good home! If anyone wants it in person, I will be in NYC on Sept 13 for out Puppy Mill Awareness walk, you can meet up there. (See www.walkwiththepack.org for details)

Your App is excellent!!!

And I love what you do for dogs!! :appl: :appl:

Marlow is the name of my little sighthound. The most precious gem I have!

needfullshinythings

Shiny_Rock
Sorry about the lack of posts Marlow, still waiting for my stones to arrive.
I will post as soon as I get them and we will see if they are what they're supposed to be.
Back soon.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Marlow|1409755468|3744012 said:

When you think of the thousands of breeding dogs living their lives in horrid conditions in cages, it makes the problems of finding the perfect stone to decorate your fingers seem rather trivial.

Every puppy in a pet store, has it's mother in a cage in a puppy mill. Don't buy from pet stores!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
PrecisionGem|1410047856|3746174 said:

When you think of the thousands of breeding dogs living their lives in horrid conditions in cages, it makes the problems of finding the perfect stone to decorate your fingers seem rather trivial.

Every puppy in a pet store, has it's mother in a cage in a puppy mill. Don't buy from pet stores!

In Germany it is forbidden to buy cats and dogs in pet shops - but we have a problem that many dogs come from east europe to Germany.

People don't want to spent much money for a dog ( later the spend 2-4 x at the vet) so the buy very cheap an ill and much to young puppy. A dog like mine cost 1200 EUR - let him live twelve years it is 100 EUR a year - a bit more then 8 EUR a month ( so one time a month visiting Mac D.) . To much money??

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Your App is excellent!!!

Sighthound... Italian Greyhound? I had one of those once, best dog in the world! :love:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Yes - an Italian Greyhound - a darker isabel ( this is the color - in my dog a cold cinnamon).

A crazy and funny little male.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1410047856|3746174 said:

Yes, and the problem isn't just puppy mills, but bird mills too. I have a few parrots, and I say, don't buy a parrot unless you know the breeder. I'm sure other types of animals come from similar "mills" as well. Thanks Gene for bringing this to attention.

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock
Another great thread! Thanks needfullshinythings! PS is the best. :appl:
Also glad LD doesn't have to have laptop for dinner, lol!
This thread inspires me because I've really been thinking about investing in some gemology tools, the investigation part seems like it would be fun!

Marlow said:

Marlow, this just made my heart smile! =) I have 3 little "boys" ( one is my avatar pic) who are also my precious gems.

And Gene, I'm so inspired by what you do in support of shutting down puppy mills - they are simply unconscionable! :angryfire:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Your avatar is cute!!! What is it?

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock
He is a fat yorkshire terrier! =) Just don't tell him I said that. :naughty:

I've actually always wanted an Italian Greyhound. Sighthounds are so beautiful and most I've been lucky enough to meet have great personalities.

And thanks for all the great knowledge you share here Marlow! I"m envious of all of you pricescopers with your vast knowledge. I just try to soak it all in! I really do think after this thread I'll dive into some gemological tools of my own. Watch out gems! =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results